(Topic ID: 312450)

Texas Pinball Festival 2022: Post Your Pics, Experiences & Reviews!

By solarvalue

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 437 posts
  • 154 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by docquest
  • Topic is favorited by 35 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9072 (resized).JPG
    8CAA95A9-FDD0-4844-A679-64C6C2FB2596 (resized).jpeg
    38BFB62C-5E53-4E09-9F63-83330501BEA1 (resized).jpeg
    20220401_104537 (resized).jpg
    20220401_104417 (resized).jpg
    20220401_101253 (resized).jpg
    20220401_101242 (resized).jpg
    20220401_101231 (resized).jpg
    20220401_101216 (resized).jpg
    20220401_101156 (resized).jpg
    5E439144-B603-4CB7-AC4C-B0C9478003E7 (resized).jpeg
    2525-SHINER-BOCK-478x1024 (resized).png
    9e9[1] (resized).png
    D773297F-59E3-466E-822E-566CD6105E21 (resized).jpeg
    A2A68E61-162B-47FB-B1B7-D06B95EBCF6D (resized).jpeg
    9C630912-324C-426C-A1C3-315C8EA0F8A4 (resized).jpeg
    There are 437 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 9.
    #251 2 years ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

Only on the modern internet can a topic about a fun show that we all adore become a toxic brew of insults and gotcha comments.
    Well done Pinsiders, well done indeed.

Man, some people have a low standard for using the word toxic (so overused it's annoying). Only one poster seems to be in a bad mood, but that isn't new.

#252 2 years ago

Anyone play Ultraman? Impressions?

#253 2 years ago
    Quoted from pindoc1:

Call it what you want but the badgering was indeed heckling and that was not the time or place. Address it with him at the booth or with a lawyer.

Eh, I'm not so sure. If you bought a $12k+ machine that had a playfield that began turning into a pile of shit within the first month, then had the CEO of the company claim it was the user's fault followed by the manufacturer of the playfield telling you there aren't any issues, I think you might see things differently.

I didn't get a GnR, but I feel horribly for those that had that experience and completely understand their frustration and lashing out whenever they have the opportunity.

#254 2 years ago

Mirco's CEO at TPF...

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #255 2 years ago

The displeasure generated by the complete lack of communication regarding the playfield issues is what generated the comments in the seminar. I wasn’t there but I did see the video and I didn’t think anyone was disrespectful. If anything Mirco handled it horribly, he didn’t even have any talking points to address issues with his own playfields.

Anyhow, if you don’t respond to customer issues for years I don’t think it’s out of bounds that you get called out during a seminar. Just my $.02.

As far as the bring a game comment, I would love to see more people bring games who are in the local area. People from out of town come to enjoy the games and spending their money is how they support TPF. It is difficult to keep a game up for the entire weekend but it’s part of the deal. There are always about 20% of the games down by Sunday. I try to bullet proof my games as much as possible prior to TPF but it’s a serious stress test for sure.

There’s really no reason for people to argue about bringing a game vs spending money, both are supporting the show. Some folks just want to argue on Pinside I guess.

See everyone next year, I’ve already started on my Xenon resto for 2023!

#256 2 years ago
    Quoted from Blakester:

Anyone play Ultraman? Impressions?

I am a Godzilla fan (still didn't get to play it) and played Ultraman. It felt....slow? Not sure if the pins were dialed in right as many of the shots, it felt the flippers were weak and quite a few shows would get half up the ramp and come back down. Could have been me but it didn't see me on something I would want to own one day. Despite the playfields being very similar to me, Halloween next to it look great though I didn't get to try that to compare.

#257 2 years ago
    Quoted from precisionk:

I am a Godzilla fan (still didn't get to play it)

In case you care, Cidercade in Dallas has a Godzilla Premium in their lineup. I'm really not a big Stern fan, but I like GZ a lot more than most of their machines.

#258 2 years ago
    Quoted from pindoc1:

Call it what you want but the badgering was indeed heckling and that was not the time or place. Address it with him at the booth or with a lawyer.

So you want me to address it with him at his booth? That would have been worse for him. Have you bought anything from mirco with your hard earned money, have you given him any nos playfields and plastics and he’s promised to return them and give you a reproduction for your troubles, but then keeps the originals, and only sends a reproduction after a year or 2 of begging, well me and my friends have. Until you’ve been there you have no idea. Im glad you can take the high, i didn’t and im not sorry.

#259 2 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Eh, I'm not so sure. If you bought a $12k+ machine that had a playfield that began turning into a pile of shit within the first month, then had the CEO of the company claim it was the user's fault followed by the manufacturer of the playfield telling you there aren't any issues, I think you might see things differently.
    I didn't get a GnR, but I feel horribly for those that had that experience and completely understand their frustration and lashing out whenever they have the opportunity.

Testify.

#260 2 years ago
    Quoted from Colehvac1:

So you want me to address it with him at his booth? That would have been worse for him. Have you bought anything from mirco with your hard earned money, have you given him any nos playfields and plastics and he’s promised to return them and give you a reproduction for your troubles, but then keeps the originals, and only sends a reproduction after a year or 2 of begging, well me and my friends have. Until you’ve been there you have no idea. Im glad you can take the high, i didn’t and im not sorry.

I would agree that another approach would have been prudent. That said, Mirco deserves no quarter... his arrogance was palpable. If he would have addressed the elephant in the room early he could have avoided the JUSTIFIED vitriolic diatribes. IN FACT I think Kaneda was TOO SOFT on him...Sorry, Colehvac is 100 percent correct... Mirco sat there with a smug attitude literally repeating that there is no problem.

#261 2 years ago

Mirco is never at fault in his mind. Shit happens all the time with manufacturing. #1 Rule is to look after your customers problems with your product.

#262 2 years ago
    Quoted from greatwichjohn:

Mirco is never at fault in his mind. Shit happens all the time with manufacturing. #1 Rule is to look after your customers problems with your product.

100%, and dont screw the people in the pinball community that are giving you their valuable items to help you while you make 7 figures with said items. My one friend that gave him stuff was afraid to even contact him with fear that mirco would get mad, I certainly wansnt going to confront him at his booth where his kids were standing with him, that shit is off limits, at least thats my line.

#263 2 years ago

Day 2 of the Texas Pinball Festival!#tpf2022

#264 2 years ago

As far as Mirco, I have no dog in that fight and I am in no way defending him. However:
    1. He did not state in the seminar that there was not a problem. Just that he was not going to comment.
    2. As I said in my original comment, the heckling was rude and inappropriate in that setting and the hecklers only embarrassed themselves. Bring the proof and “receipts” to him at his booth. If he has potential buyers hanging around, they might think twice if they over hear your complaints and his unwillingness/inability to respond.

Let’s try to be adults here.

#265 2 years ago
    Quoted from PantherCityPins:

I would love to see more people bring games who are in the local area….It is difficult to keep a game up for the entire weekend but it’s part of the deal. There are always about 20% of the games down by Sunday….There’s really no reason for people to argue about bringing a game vs spending money, both are supporting the show. Some folks just want to argue on Pinside I guess.

The following is not meant as an antagonistic argument.

I’m local and have 5 games, some that weren’t at TPF this year (LOTR, TZ). At least I didn’t see them. Given how money driven this hobby has become, I don’t feel the desire to “do my part” for free or a small token.

The way these machines have appreciated, a free ticket isn’t enough incentive for me to go through the effort and risk bringing them. This is a hobby (nowadays), where there’s enough demand for out of production machines to command serious money ($20k for a nice IJ, more for JJPPOTC etc.) and people expect top dollar (nothing wrong but don’t expect free loaners for a show).

The show was absolutely packed and revenue must’ve been huge (given the ticket prices) so at a minimum I’d expect the organizers to pick up, set up, take down, return and insure my machines. It’s not an altruistic hobby anymore but the domain of people with a lot of disposable cash so why expect effectively free loaners?

#266 2 years ago

Ok. So, you want to play machines.... But aren't willing to provide machines for the event to happen.

Let's all do that for 2023... I'm sure the event will even be better with a higher ratio of working games.

#267 2 years ago

I must be in the minority here but I really don't care to play games at the show, save for newly-launched titles I haven't had a chance to try yet.

It's primarily a social event for me.

#268 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

Ok. So, you want to play machines.... But aren't willing to provide machines for the event to happen.
    Let's all do that for 2023... I'm sure the event will even be better with a higher ratio of working games.

But you want everyone to bring a game and get in for free...
    So where does the money to rent the venue, etc. come from if no one is paying anything?
    Obviously, there needs to be a mixture of both games and paying customers.

And it's not like the ticket prices were cheap this year. My daughter and her boyfriend wanted to go on Saturday for a few hours, but couldn't afford the $90 it would have cost them. And it's hard to justify $90 to play some pinball for a couple of hours (especially if a lot of that time will be spent waiting in line for a machine to be available).

#269 2 years ago

As far as Mirco, I have no dog in that fight and I am in no way defending him. However:
    1. He did not state in the seminar that there was not a problem. Just that he was not going to comment.
    2. As I said in my original comment, the heckling was rude and inappropriate in that setting and the hecklers only embarrassed themselves. Bring the proof and “receipts” to him at his booth. If he has potential buyers hanging around, they might think twice if they over hear your complaints and his unwillingness/inability to respond.
    Let’s try to be adults here.</
    His kids were at his booth, so embarrassing him in front of his kids is not an option for me. He was there doing a seminar and asked if there were any questions, isnt that the most appropriate place to ask what hes going to do moving forward, his answer was send an email, thats already in place and he doesn't respond. Go ahead and buy his stuff then report back, let us know that its all fixed. The dead horse has now been beaten, anyone that buys and feels screwed, shame on you! The next time hes at a show i will be there with the proof, if anyone want to share theirs also with me i will purchase a booth and share in one spot with everyone no problem...........

#270 2 years ago
    Quoted from galore2112:

It’s not an altruistic hobby anymore but the domain of people with a lot of disposable cash so why expect effectively free loaners?

Williams closed after Expo 1999. 2000 Expo saw about 8 pinball machines there. It was no longer an industry show.

2001 people stepped up. It's our show too. What can we do to make it happen ? They made it happen.

People bringing games to shows help make shows happen. A tradition I hope continues so we have pinball shows to go to.

LTG : )

#271 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Williams closed after Expo 1999. 2000 Expo saw about 8 pinball machines there. It was no longer an industry show.
    2001 people stepped up. It's our show too. What can we do to make it happen ? They made it happen.
    People bringing games to shows help make shows happen. A tradition I hope continues so we have pinball shows to go to.

Yes, I totally understand actively participating, donating and loaning games if there is a real need for a hobby that is either close to extinction or barely hanging on.

But that’s not the case in 2022.

This is a hobby where LE and CE sell out before the general public can realistically buy one, just to be flipped for thousands $ of profit. And in general, no one in this hobby seems to have anything to sell without a huge profit motive.

It’s way, Way, WAY different from its dying gasps in 2000 so I don’t think the approach from back then is applicable.

#272 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

Yes, I pay for the ticket to attend. Have you checked the prices? It’s not cheap.

#273 2 years ago
    Quoted from mbeardsley:

But you want everyone to bring a game and get in for free...
    So where does the money to rent the venue, etc. come from if no one is paying anything?
    Obviously, there needs to be a mixture of both games and paying customers.

I disagree, but see your point.

I think for 2023; I'll rent a booth... erect some velvet ropes and hire a big armed guard.
    I make a sign that says, "exhibitors" only and enforce that rule.
    Didn't bring a game? no soup for you.

That way; I'm happy. Ya'll are happy. And we all get what we want.

It's honestly surprising at how many people want to "take" from the hobby you claim to love... but want to put in zero effort. Obviously there is a "balance" here... but I feel pretty unappreciated bringing games to a show when the vocal minority thinks it's ok to bitch that games broke down and they somehow felt cheated that they didn't get to spend enough time with unlimited access to every machine on the floor.
    I invite every one of you to attend Chicago Expo and report back how horrible TPF was.

#274 2 years ago

I think you misinterpret my point.

I’m willing to give back to the hobby if the hobby needs it. Not that the hobby has ever given anything other than information to me so the whole idea of giving “back” is debatable.

Right now the hobby doesn’t need it. It’s a hobby flush with money and it’s thriving.

It’s a hobby where hobbyists develop V2 game code with help by others and then turn around to commercialize it to make a buck or two.

If a show charges $85 per person and it’s packed to the gills, that very commercial show doesn’t need “giving back”.

This hobby doesn’t look like it’s been a “kumbaya, let’s help each other out for free” in quite a while.

This is a show where all the big players in the industry show up, promoting and selling their very in demand products for $10000+.

It’s a show where older “A” titles are for sale for $19000+.

And somehow, with all this commerce (nothing wrong), some people still think it’s asocial if I don’t feel like bringing games (that can get damaged and will wear and then it’s a huge effort to haul these expensive bulky items)???

Bringing games also enables these big companies and top dollar resellers so it’s not just a nice gesture to bring a game but it supports big profits by some so this is totally unbalanced if the foundation of the show isn’t compensated more than admission.

#275 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

the vocal minority thinks it's ok to bitch that games broke down and they somehow felt cheated that they didn't get to spend enough time with unlimited access to every machine on the floor.

People are bitching about this because that game was brought for the sole purpose of getting in for free and being able to have 'exhibitor' access. If you bring a game you should be prepared to keep the game up and running. Sh!t happens, but if the game was off all weekend, that is the issue

I flew down, spent $180 for two show tickets, barely played any pinball due to crowds/lines and almost couldn't stand how loud it was in the hall. MGC and Expo are no where near those volume levels.

Quoted from Zitt:

I think for 2023; I'll rent a booth... erect some velvet ropes and hire a big armed guard.

Do it

#276 2 years ago

Yes, "back in the day" TPF was really just a bunch of local guys getting together to show off their machines - and hopefully showing "others" that pinball was cool.

Now, it's a "big business" trade-show. This is fine (and in some ways better), but it's got some downsides too.

Quoted from Zitt:

I disagree, but see your point.
    That way; I'm happy. Ya'll are happy. And we all get what we want.

And maybe we could also have a booth for "paying customers only - no freeloaders" - though I don't think this sort of segregation is good in either direction.

#277 2 years ago

Here's a quick walkthrough video of the Texas Pinball Festival leading up to my Lit Kit Flipper booth located right at the front entrance next to the Doctor Who display. It was omitted in every walkthrough video I've seen so I thought I'd add it here . Had a great time and met lots of creative Pinsiders and people from all walks of life. It was fun planning out the booth and trying something new! It's amazing how many people I met who have collections of 20 games or more.

IMG_2674 (1) (resized).jpegIMG_2674 (1) (resized).jpeg

#278 2 years ago
    Quoted from Chrizg:

I flew down, spent $180 for two show tickets, barely played any pinball due to crowds/lines and almost couldn't stand how loud it was in the hall. MGC and Expo are no where near those volume levels.

LOL. You attend the largest pinball convention in the USA and maybe the world.
    You complain that there were lines to play machines because there wasn't enough machines because you, yourself, didn't bring one.
    And now you complain about the noise?

I've been actively bring machines since 2007 with my *first* show.
    You think this was bad; you'd have hated it when there was actually music over the pa system.

I get it; you guys want to fly in and play games... but I just won't accept your arguments that you should have had a better time when it's clear you put forth no effort.

To the argument that this is "big business"; I can't argue with that.
    TPF has grown to big. To many non-local "users" taking advantage of our hospitality and good will and bitching that they didn't have a good time because other people came to play machines but didn't bring any.

Chicago Expo is MUCH worse with people bringing non-functional craptastic machines to get in for free.

It's CLEAR from the 2 hour exhibitor-only show that the ratio of people bringing machines to people attending is way to skewed to the latter.

So; continue making arguments why the show sucked and why games were broken.
    Your doing a pretty good job of convincing me that I should just join you and just pay my ticket and play games other people bring.

#279 2 years ago

This was my 3rd TPF. Some notes and observations:
    -People smelled way better last year. A few years ago, you wish the registration packets had sticks of deoderant in them. Good job everybody.
    -A lot less drunk people
    -People were very friendly.
    -Some of those machines were amazing or in great shape. Some were disappointing (that Party Animal broke my heart)
    -I was happy we got some Data East love this year
    -The Barry Oursler section was great. Wow!
    -Loved the booths. Especially Lord of the Gameroom. Amazing work, Bobby.
    -Lines longer than usual
    -Nice to have moved the tourney upstairs. This helped with traffic.
    -Wish there were a few more vendors
    -Didn't see a lot of newer Sterns, CCGs, or JJs (aside from the great Cactus Canyon section). Would incentivizing purchases help? Was this related to current manufacturing lines. Didn't see a Stranger Things (they had one upstairs), Avengers, Stern Turtles, Willy Wonka (aside from the raffle), etc. I can play most of those on location so I'd rather see older games if I had to pick -- but I would have loved the variety.
    -Would have liked to see Gary Stern
    -Didn't see any broken glass this year
    -Loved the homebrews and home made pins. Love the passion. Amazing stuff!
    -I texted the owner of the WWF Royal Rumble as I had some questions about his lighting and he was gracious to share his experience with me. This was a very generous stranger!
    -No one grabbed my ankles
    -I had a fun weekend! My son attended for most of the weekend and my wife attended on Sunday. Both enjoyed the show as well.

#280 2 years ago
    Quoted from Darkfader:

Day 2 of the Texas Pinball Festival!#tpf2022

OK everyone stop complaining the show looks amazing LOL
    thanks for the video, I appreciate the game walkthrough with the stick where you give the overhead view. Subscribed.

The Fast Pinball booth seemed really exciting. Between that and the WPC 5V daughter board, it is heartening to know the WPC classics will be taken care of for years to come.

#281 2 years ago
    Quoted from galore2112:

I don’t think the approach from back then is applicable.

I think it is.

It's your show too.

Bring a game or games if you can. Attend if you can. Volunteer if you can.

I hope that never changes.

#282 2 years ago
    Quoted from pindoc1:

I would be interested to know the statistics concerning the number of machines and attendees compare to past years.

Our Weird Al SE had over 600 plays from Fri-Sun. Don't have stats on the rest of the game floor, but WAM had a line 20-40min deep the entire show (even till we had to shut down at 2am sat) so hopefully that gives you an idea of how much play all the machines recieved

#283 2 years ago
    Quoted from pindoc1:

Let’s try to be adults here.

Incorrect. His quote related to playfield issues was;
    "We have no issues. There is nothing to fix"
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1436568764?t=0h19m18s

#284 2 years ago
    Quoted from RobF:

Incorrect. His quote related to playfield issues was;
    "We have no issues. There is nothing to fix"
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1436568764?t=0h19m18s

My apologies. I did not hear that. The audio in room was not nearly as clear as on that Twitch feed.
    I was listening as hard as I could but could only make out out the repeated statement that he was not going to address it.

#285 2 years ago

Thanks everyone who stopped by and put up a few games at the History of Pinball booth. We had a good crowd the entire weekend and people seemed to enjoy themselves and even Dr. Who stopped by for awhile.
    We only had one catastrophic failure that i was unable to fix and a couple ball jams but for the most part all the machines performed admirably considering they are 90 years old now. Special thanks to the 5 other collectors that brought machines as well.

I was especially happy that we had a winners for best Antique and a winner for best original as well as a 3rd place in best antique.

see you next year!
    277362886_1478630969218900_3587745670715470120_n (resized).jpg277362886_1478630969218900_3587745670715470120_n (resized).jpg277435338_1478631069218890_2537893411876633138_n (resized).jpg277435338_1478631069218890_2537893411876633138_n (resized).jpg

#286 2 years ago

So did any of you get to visit the National Videogame Museum?

#287 2 years ago
    Quoted from toddtuckey:

And that was true...I was really hoping to win something this time around...4 other tries, and now I got it! I was beginning to feel like Susan Lucci! Frank and I had a grand time with all of you! I must have had 30 or more people tell me they got into Pinball collecting because of my videos! I signed 150 trading cards and ran out! Hope to see you in Allentown PA for Pinfest in May and Pintastic in June in Massachusetts! Thanks again to all that voted for me! Todd

Todd at Pintastic! Yes! Bring more trading cards!

#288 2 years ago
    Quoted from JRM1:

Some were disappointing (that Party Animal broke my heart)

I was so excited to see a Strange Science, which is a pretty unremarkable alphanumeric, but my grandma had one when I was a kid, so it's super nostalgic for me. You never see them anywhere. This one was in straight up broken condition, with the third flipper just limply flopping around. Owner was asking $3k for it lmao good luck buddy.

No idea what was going on with the Party Animal, but it looked like it smoked a few packs a day.

#289 2 years ago
    Quoted from mbeardsley:

So did any of you get to visit the National Videogame Museum?

I did. Really enjoyed it!

#290 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

LOL. You attend the largest pinball convention in the USA and maybe the world.
    You complain that there were lines to play machines because there wasn't enough machines because you, yourself, didn't bring one.
    And now you complain about the noise?
    I've been actively bring machines since 2007 with my *first* show.
    You think this was bad; you'd have hated it when there was actually music over the pa system.
    I get it; you guys want to fly in and play games... but I just won't accept your arguments that you should have had a better time when it's clear you put forth no effort.
    To the argument that this is "big business"; I can't argue with that.
    TPF has grown to big. To many non-local "users" taking advantage of our hospitality and good will and bitching that they didn't have a good time because other people came to play machines but didn't bring any.
    Chicago Expo is MUCH worse with people bringing non-functional craptastic machines to get in for free.
    It's CLEAR from the 2 hour exhibitor-only show that the ratio of people bringing machines to people attending is way to skewed to the latter.
    So; continue making arguments why the show sucked and why games were broken.
    Your doing a pretty good job of convincing me that I should just join you and just pay my ticket and play games other people bring.

Well, I attended, as I have several times over the last decade. I live in Nebraska, and have my whole family there in Plano so it is a great double dip to see the fam and play pinball. There are some guys- Trox, Dothedoo and others from Nebraska that always bring games. I have only brought a game once. I don't have a trailer or the means to bring machines and have to leave on Sunday morning every time to be back to work at 6 a.m. Monday. Not important, as I do support the event through tickets sales, and always buy stuff at the swap meet, vendors, and machines if I find one I want.

No real point in that, but I do feel the need to say this..... I have never met Zitt. Don't know whether he is a jovial guy or a grumpy one. A smiler or someone with resting bitchface. A prince or a pauper. But I do know this from my experience here and at TPF. Every time I have attended TPF, Zitt has had his Star Trek (and probs more, I just know his ST machines when I see them) machines at the event. They are always top notch. I frequent the STTNG thread, and he is constantly helping people with their issues. He makes mods, offers them to others, and I promise he isn't getting rich doing so. Point being, he gives a shit about the hobby and all of us. He's shown it countless times. So, I guess my point is THANK YOU Zitt, and I am saddened that you feel underappreciated. This should not be the case, as you are as supportive to the hobby as they come. Thank you for everything you do. And yes, I'd be super pissed too, if someone was treating those machines of yours with disrespect. I didn't see any of that on your machines, but I promise you I would step in and do a little educating if I did. People suck (not all, but a bigger percentage than it used to be). I think I get how you feel, as much as I am able from afar. You bust your ass to get machines ready, then transport, then set up.... then hear people (some, especially the millennials) bitching the whole time you're there about "not enough machine"... "too many machines not here"... "too many machines turned off"... etc etc and then you see people treating your beautiful machines poorly because they paid a whole 45 bucks for the right to abuse them. Then you have to take them down, transport them home, unload and then come here to listen to more "it's wasn't good enough" talk.... I get it man, that could frustrate anyone. Sorry, kinda long winded here, but I just wanted to say thank you, as I have never taken the time to tell you, you are appreciated.

To everyone else, I appreciate you, your contributions, big or small, to the hobby also. I haven't "chosen" Zitt's side on anything, just dawned on me that I have never said thanks for all you do. I'm not "calling anyone out", this post is directed at no one, just musing. I see both sides of what everyone is saying. I just don't like a true pinhead, Zitt or anyone else and there are a lot of them here, who have done a lot for the hobby for many years, to feel underappreciated for all he or she does. Concerning, as we need these people. We all have friends here. We all have people we don't "know", but enjoy their posts (talkin' bout you mudflaps... beelzeboob... the list is endless... We all have posters we may not care for here. But we are a community. Seek to understand... listen... be nice... just seems 80% of the threads go sideways these days, and I think a little more niceness, tact and unity (hey, it's pinside, we've always talked mad shit, not saying I wish it was perfect, just not SO predictably negative) could go a long way in changing the overall current "pinside tone" and reputation. Yeah, yeah, just one more long winded post about being more positive.... Anyway, my .47 cents...

#291 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I think it is.
    It's your show too.
    I hope that never changes.

I never said that people shouldn’t bring games or that I would not bring my games.

But I stand by my point that it’s not fair comparing an expo from the dying days of pinball circa 2000 with the pinball renaissance on steroids 2022.

Yeah, if it’s an event from enthusiasts for enthusiasts and interested people, then this model of volunteering is right.

I also never complained about TPF 2022. To the contrary, I thought it was great (and commented accordingly).

For me, personally, it’s out of the question volunteering or loaning, under the existing rules, to an ultra successful, massively commercialized trade show where hundreds of thousands of dollars are exchanged, directly with tickets, show deals, food services, hotel charges etc. and indirectly by future sales from the many businesses who use this trade show as part of their marketing.

If people like you or Zitt think this should be a community supported event where shaming people if they “freeload” by attending without bringing machines is logical, then maybe organize a non commercial version.

I paid for my ticket and refuse to be shamed.

As long as big money is involved, I don’t think it’s fair to shame people like in this thread. At a minimum the organizers should provide support transporting and setting up games and insure against damage, given the values nowadays.

It’s like some want to have their cake and eat it too. It’s either a commercial trade show where there should be better incentives to support the commercial trade show with the foundation, games, or it’s a hobby show but then don’t charge $85/person at the door and have “seminars” of businesses like Mirco where all they want to do is sell their wares while expecting that “volunteers” haul their $10k/piece games on their own dime and risk to the show to actually make it happen.

#292 2 years ago
    Quoted from galore2112:

If people like you or Zitt think this should be a community supported event where shaming people if they “freeload” by attending without bringing machines is logical,

I can't speak for Zitt.

I think you missed my point entirely.

Quoted from LTG:

Contribute to a show any way you can. Attending is important too. Attending and having a blast is great too.

I just want shows to continue so we can attend them.

#293 2 years ago

I think that regardless of the 'why's' and 'how's' of our collective reasoning for being there, we can all agree on one thing: It was GREAT to be back after 3 long years.

I was able to attend 2 of the 3 days, bring my kids, meet up with some friends, buy some merch, and of course...play a lot of pinball. I will make no apologies, my main goal is to play LOTS of pins at the show. It is a getaway for me.

#294 2 years ago
    Quoted from galore2112:

If people like you or Zitt think this should be a community supported event where shaming people if they “freeload” by attending without bringing machines is logical, then maybe organize a non commercial version.

I know I sound like a old man yelling at the clouds; but, really the event is a direct result of what you put into it.

I have no dog in the TPF race... I don't get a kickback. I don't get free hotel, gas to the show, free vouchers for food, etc. I get exactly one wristband for one game. While I consider the organizers at TPF friends; I don't have any idea what is involved in paying for the show. I also don't know what it cost them for the cancelled 2020 show.

Maybe I am trying to shame people who complain... because those complaints are utter bullshit.
    I have stated very clearly that my opinion is that people who don't bring games to the show have zero right to complain and should have no say in how it's run. You are just consuming what you don't understand.

I'm within my right to request that you not attend our show. I'm also within my right to look down upon you from my lofty exhibitor pedestal and yell "peasants" if you do. Do us all a favor... start a show in your own neck of the woods. Build that show... and leave ours alone.

Quoted from TheDarkKnight68:

I guess my point is THANK YOU Zitt, and I am saddened that you feel underappreciated. This should not be the case, as you are as supportive to the hobby as they come.

Until this thread; I did not feel under appreciated. That said, I appreciate you taking the time to let me know that you understand what I and the other exhibitors do for the joy of others.

I'm sick and tired of these crybaby elitists whining that games were broken.
    There are *ALWAYS* bad apples at these shows. I agree that the shows should do a better job at policing this behavior.
    I also believe that the arsehats that do this should be burned at the community stake.

Most of my friends in the hobby continue to believe I am fuxing nuts to bring a New-Out-Of-Box Star Trek LE (back in 2014) to the show each year. At the time I dismissed this as "meh, it's pinball ... supposed to be enjoyed".

Now with a >$12k value... and showing signs of clear coat wear and problematic optos with no current solution. I'm thinking it may just be time to listen to those friends. Stern no longer appears offering warranty service for Node Boards... they are putting all of those node boards to NEW machines. They won't sell new node boards to repair old games. As a result; I think it's probably better to keep my toys at home since ...clearly... the vocal minority here wants me to do the same.

I'm convinced that other exhibitors are reading this thread ... facepalming at my "rants" but secretly nodding in agreement.

The whole situation is Just sad really.

#295 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

I have stated very clearly that my opinion is that people who don't bring games to the show have zero right to complain and should have no say in how it's run. You are just consuming what you don't understand

Everyone is equally important that attends these shows. Ticket buyers, game bringers, booth renters, parts sellers. Show doesn’t exist without all these different angles. Do a TPF with only local game bringers in attendance. It will fail. You are putting people that bring games on a pedestal and you are wrong.

Star Trek LE is a SAM game and doesn’t use node boards (except for the RGB lighting). If you are having opto issues you have a bad opto or the tiny ‘my first Sony’ speaker wire the optos use is bad or failing. Replace both optos for the opto switch causing issues. They are a PITA to replace since they are buried as I have done it many times on my pro models.

#296 2 years ago

No complaints from this dude from CA.
    The show, surrounding businesses, and hotel took their fair share $ too.
    Loved every minute of it, would go again in a heartbeat.

9C630912-324C-426C-A1C3-315C8EA0F8A4 (resized).jpeg9C630912-324C-426C-A1C3-315C8EA0F8A4 (resized).jpegA2A68E61-162B-47FB-B1B7-D06B95EBCF6D (resized).jpegA2A68E61-162B-47FB-B1B7-D06B95EBCF6D (resized).jpegD773297F-59E3-466E-822E-566CD6105E21 (resized).jpegD773297F-59E3-466E-822E-566CD6105E21 (resized).jpeg
    #297 2 years ago
    Quoted from Chrizg:

Star Trek LE is a SAM game and doesn’t use node boards (except for the RGB lighting). If you are having opto issues you have a bad opto or the tiny ‘my first Sony’ speaker wire the optos use is bad or failing. Replace both optos for the opto switch causing issues. They are a PITA to replace since they are buried as I have done it many times on my pro models.

Thanks for the advice... but that has already been covered and is not the issue.
    See: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-opto-amplifier-520-5239-01-schematic#post-6854327

Quoted from Vino:

No complaints from this dude from CA.

Glad you got to enjoy my Star_Trek: Mirror Universe game. Hopefully before it ran out of credits or after I figured out how to set the free credit thresholds properly. I know I had it set properly at previous shows; but I think I lost settings when I swapped in new batteries at home.

#298 2 years ago
    Quoted from NashtyFunk:

I'm not sure I feel great throwing a $15k STh or Deadpool LE on the floor but maybe I should just get over that as I'm 45 minutes away and if I had a hand and a trailer I could do it.

I did it with STH LE at Pinbrew and if I still owned it, I’d do it again. Always share your games I say.

#299 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I did it with STH LE at Pinbrew and if I still owned it, I’d do it again. Always share your games I say.

yep, support shows all that you can. I hauled two games the 700+ miles each way to TPF. As for taking expensive games to the show, its a little more nerve reckoning, but very satisfying. When i took Krull to expo (and was scheduled to bring to tpf 2020) i was nervous, but the people loved it so much that it was worth it

#300 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

I have no dog in the TPF race...
    I have stated very clearly that my opinion is that people who don't bring games to the show have zero right to complain and should have no say in how it's run. I'm within my right to request that you not attend our show. I'm also within my right to look down upon you from my lofty exhibitor pedestal and yell "peasants" if you do. Do us all a favor... start a show in your own neck of the woods. Build that show... and leave ours alone.

If you have no "dog in the race", then why is it YOUR show?
    I've attended almost every year since the start, back when it really was just a bunch of collectors and nothing else. Maybe that makes it MY show?

Furthermore, I paid to be at the show, and if I have a complaint there is no reason why I shouldn't state it.
    Maybe there is just no way to address these issues now that machines have gotten so expensive.

My recently re-done WH20 and my MBr are worth too much and too likely to get damaged for me to want to bring them to a show, and my EBD tends to get flakey and overheat (which means it wouldn't handle 3 days of constant use). Furthermore, I would have to take a day off of work and rent a truck to get a machine in/out of the event.

It is just not practical for me to bring a machine, especially since I typically only attend on Saturday. This year, I was only there for about 5 hours, as the long lines for the machines I wanted to play were just too frustrating. In total, I think I only played about a dozen games.

That's sort of my point. I paid $45 to play a dozen games of pinball (and bought merchandise too), and now I'm being told that I'm a free-loader and didn't support the show.

I did enjoy the show, and will most likely attend again next year. But that doesn't mean that I won't complain about the parts I didn't like.

Finally, thanks again for bringing your Mirror Universe machine (again). It WAS one of the machines that I did get to play, and really enjoyed it.

There are 437 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/texas-pinball-festival-2022-post-your-pics-experiences-amp-reviews/page/6?hl=jeffswack and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.