(Topic ID: 148683)

Texas Pinball Fest 2016 Tourney: New and Improved!

By Snailman

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 234 posts
  • 53 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by mike21878
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

standings_(resized).jpg
    IMG953356_(resized).jpg
    index_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider metallik.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#91 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

eep in mind that reducing the # of plays also benefits the better players. This is a double screw over with the current change to the bottom 90% of players.

I agree that last minute changes suck, but this above is wrong. Fewer plays benefits weaker players, in that more randomness is involved. If an A-list player hits a bad-luck streak in their 20 games, they could very well miss the finals since there aren't enough attempts for their skills to reverse the trend. Or, a mediocre player could hit a hot streak and qualify while better players run out of plays before catching up.

Another way to put it: I have a much better chance of beating Trent once, than beating him 3 of 5.

#95 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

With 30 plays and limited time, a lessor player could get back to working the strategy of playing all their plays and hence getting more luck on their side. With the hop that some of the better players dont get to use as many attempts and me playing more of my attempts further reduces the availbale time for them to get on machines.

..and with 30 plays, a better player could also get back to working the strategy of playing all their entries, and their skill will cause them to come out ahead. Hope all you want - better players will NOT stand around and watch their entries expire while they're below the qualifying line, period. Hell, experienced players would void shitty first ball/two balls to ensure they got back in line for another crack. They know what they're doing.

Argue the pricing all you want, but you're completely wrong on the luck thing...

#112 8 years ago

Luck and skill are strange things. I qualified for classics at Lousiville in just 13 plays, using a strategy of "whatever line is shortest" (at least til the end, when Shepherd talked me into waiting an extra cycle for Skateball). I know players who are much better than me took more entries to qualify, so never discount the impact limited entries can have on a tournament.

#134 8 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

Not if you had to wait in line behind me for each game

"Shortest line" strategy FTW

I love the DTM software used at Louisville. Allowed me to bail on a 4-deep line for Meteor, flush an entry down the Paragon black hole, then re-enter Meteor line in the same place 5 min later...

#140 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Is a smart phone an essential thing to now have to play at TPF and I am missing something?

Louisville did not require a phone; the tournament guys would happily queue you up for a game. But, having a phone (or a laptop or anything that can access a webpage) allows players to queue themselves, monitor their place in line, and switch queues or simply vacate their line position at any time. In my case, it took 10 seconds to switch from Meteor to Paragon, which was open. Walked up, played, sucked, voided, pulled out phone and jumped back in line for Meteor as the void was being recorded. DTM is setup for phones and works very nicely.

#155 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

As of now I have off on Thursday and Friday, flying out on Thursday morning with the plan to be well rested and ready to play 20 of my 30 plays on Friday. My plan was then to use my last 10 plays on Saturday to finish off my advantage and also take up time when others that were only able to make it late on Friday and Saturday were trying to just get a game on each machine.

I love that you're complaining about the reduction of available plays, and yet your "strategy" is based completely around other people not getting to play all their plays...

Just go, compete and have fun. Stop nickel and diming everything.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider metallik.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/texas-pinball-fest-2016-tourney-new-and-improved?tu=metallik and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.