(Topic ID: 148683)

Texas Pinball Fest 2016 Tourney: New and Improved!

By Snailman

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 234 posts
  • 53 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by mike21878
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

standings_(resized).jpg
    IMG953356_(resized).jpg
    index_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Snailman.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

The Texas Pinball Festival aims to have one of the best tournaments to match what many believe is the best pinball show in the country. So we’re excited to announce that the 2016 TPF Tournament will be dramatically simplified and overhauled from prior years, reverting back to a format that incorporates best practices that work well for tournament players. It will:

– be easy to understand and well documented,
    – run smoothly,
    – pay out 100% entry fees back to players as cash prizes,
    – provide player ranking/score status in real-time using Karl DeAngelo’s DTM tournament manager,
    – allow time for players to enjoy the TPF exhibit hall and seminars, and
    – be a lot of fun!

More than 80 of the 200 spots have already been claimed, so don’t wait to secure yours. It’s a $60 one-time entry fee, and with 80 players so far, the prize for first place would be upwards of $1,400. The pot can only get larger!

We’re also excited to announce that the TPF Tourney finals will be hosted, streamed, and commentated by Jack Danger of Dead Flip and Nate Shivers of Coast2Coast Pinball!

If you’ve never been to the Texas Pinball Festival before, you’re missing out on an incredible show experience and what is shaping up to be an incredible tournament. If you've played in TPF tournaments in the past, and been disappointed in how the tournament was run, we invite you to give it another shot. We're confident you won't be disappointed.

Check out details in the Tournament Quick Guide and on our Tournament pages.
    http://texaspinball.com/tpf/wp-content/TPF-2016-Tournament-Quick-Guide.pdf
    http://texaspinball.com/tpf/tournaments/texas-wizards-tournament/

Don’t forget that the tournament tickets don’t include show admission. Make sure you are pre-registered for the show to save $10 over the door price.

Register now (http://texaspinball.com/tpf/tpfstore/) and see you at TPF 2016!

#3 8 years ago

Not to mention that the prize pool is paid out to all 16 finalists, and current registered pool puts it at an estimated $5,000.
    As it stands right now, estimated nearly $1600 for 1st, and 9th-16th paying out over $100.

See you all at TPF 2016!

1 month later
    #6 8 years ago

We're now a month away from TPF and the TPF Wizards tourney!
    I hope everyone is getting excited for the show and the tourney. Please continue to spread the word and invite more people to join in what is shaping up to be an outstanding tournament.

Here is a mostly finalized list of pins that will be used in the Wizards tourney (subject to change, standard disclaimer, etc):

Modern DMD:
    GOT Pro
    Demo Man
    Bram Stoker's Dracula
    (one more TBD)

Solid State:
    Frontier
    Nitro Ground Shaker
    Torch
    Whirlwind

EM:
    Fireball
    300, or Atlantis (Gottlieb) if 300 isn't ready in time
    Buckaroo
    Campus Queen
    (one more being considered instead of one of the above)

#9 8 years ago

120+ now registered for the tourney.

#10 8 years ago

All players: please note the tourney schedule on the TPF web site.
    If you're planning on playing the in the tournament, keep in mind that the tournament is open for play on Friday noon, while the rest of the show floor doesn't open until 5pm Friday.

#22 8 years ago
    Quoted from Arcade:

Well that sucks.
    I turned on the coin door ball save on the day I got the game.
    Have not had to use it yet, but now I find out it is useless. Arrrrgh.
    Stern seem to be slowly pissing me off. First the lock bar latches and no slider rails, then the power switch on the head, and now no coin door ball save.
    But they can get away with it being pretty much the only game in town.

Leon, Please test this on your GOT Pro (I think you got a Pro, correct?)
    We'll be using a Pro at TPF, so I want to determine if this is an issue for all GOT, or just the LE/Prem.

#23 8 years ago

UPDATED PIN LIST!

Here is what should be the finalized list of pins that will be used in the Wizards tourney (subject to change, standard disclaimer, etc):
    *** Modern DMD ***
    GOT Pro
    Demo Man
    Bram Stoker's Dracula
    Stark Trek (Stern, Pro) ADDED

*** Solid State *** (unchanged)
    Frontier
    Nitro Ground Shaker
    Torch
    Whirlwind

*** EM ***
    Fireball
    Atlantis (Gottlieb) -- because 300's melted coils aren't going to be fixed in time
    Campus Queen
    Cleopatra ADDED (Buckaroo REMOVED)

As a reminder: please also purchase your Festival registration passes in advance. The festival entrance price is higher at the door vs in advance. Tournament registration & fees does NOT include entrance/badge to the festival. Both are required to play in the tourney.

1 week later
    #32 8 years ago

TPF Wizard Tourney qualifying hours extension: To provide more time for all players to be able to complete all of their 30 plays, Friday qualifying times have been extended by two hours. On Friday, qualifying will now run from 11am - 1am (Saturday morning). Saturday is unchanged. We continue to recommend players get some/all of their plays in early.

#33 8 years ago

EM pin change:
    As noted, due to 300 having two melted coils that won't get repaired in time, Atlantis (Gottlieb) will be used.

#39 8 years ago

TPF2016 Wizards Tournament Changes
    Thank you to all the players who are registered to play in the TPF WIzards Tournament next week. Tourney player registration is now closed with 160 players, creating a total prize pool of $9,600.

The positive response to the TPF new tourney format has been incredible. We're excited to provide a great tournament to match a world-class show. Because the tournament participation level is higher than expected, and after doing the math, we realize there is insufficient qualification time under the orginal format. We truly want to provide the best experience for everyone, allowing for all players to have time to get in the same number of limited plays and to enjoy the best collector's show in the world. To that end, and after consulting with IFPA officials, the following changes are being made to the Wizard's Tournament format:

Players will be required to demonstrate skill across all three eras (DMD, SS, EM). A player's best 10 of 12 pin ranking scores will be counted in the qualifying standings. Each player may choose to use their plays across all 12 pins or focus only on those pins that give them the best chance at qualifying.
    The number of attempts per player will be reduced from 30 to 20. This equates to $3 per play, comparable to most other large tournaments.
    Tournament qualifying hours will be extended: Friday 11am-1am and Saturday 9am-5pm (a total of 22 hours).

We appreciate everyone's understanding and we are working hard to make this a successful tournament. Should you wish to withdraw from the Wizards Tournament due to these changes, refunds will be available until Tuesday, March 15th, via email request to [email protected]. The TPF website and tournament guide will be updated shortly to reflect these changes.

We look forward to seeing everyone at TPF next week!

#45 8 years ago
    Quoted from jdoz2:

"The number of attempts per player will be reduced from 30 to 20."
    Not exactly thrilled about that.

Nor are we thrilled in having to make a change. But we're still thrilled with what should be an excellent tourney.

After further analysis of the situation.... pin capacity during qualifying hours, # of players, and doing our best to keep it simple, fair, and greatest chance of running smoothly to provide an enjoyable experience to all, that's what we arrived at.

I can chime in with more information and answer questions later this evening --- I have work that has to be finished up.
    Please feel free to ask questions here.

#49 8 years ago
    Quoted from Gov:

I am kinda pissed about it actually. Should have just reduced the cost of entry instead of gimping the 'value' of each entry. I get the whole "$3 per entry is in line with most major tournaments" but until TPF can prove that their tournament can go smoothly I don't think that is a valid point.

I'm sorry to hear, but I understand the feeling.
    I'm confident that the format changes, software change, and simplification of the tourney vs past years will prove it's worth.

#53 8 years ago
    Quoted from jdoz2:

Thats not even two attempts per game.

Please note that we've changed it to your best 10 pins counting out of the 12 pins available (similar to most other big tourneys where your best X out of Y pins count toward qualifying). At 20 attempts, it's right at 2 per game.

At the current # of players, with 12 pins, we would have had to AVERAGE 3 minutes per game across every hour of the 20+ hours of qualifying. Benchmark data showed that 4.7-4.9 minutes/game should be expected.

Ultimately, it came down to:
    - Do we want to have many many players realizing on Saturday that there is no hope of getting in all their 30 plays, and feeling like they not only aren't getting their money's worth of their entry fee, and feeling like they didn't have a fair chance at the competition?

or

- Do we want to alert players of the logistics issue up-front, alter the # of plays, and also allow any players to back out that don't feel the changes warrant their participation?

Once again, we didn't like making the change, but the alternative would have likely resulted in much more chaos and frustration.
    We still feel that the $60 is appropriate for this tournament -- whether 20 or 30 plays -- and that it represent good value compared to other tourneys that typically charge $3.33 per play.

talk to you all later this evening.

#55 8 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

waits at those games

Regarding waits at the tourney games, we will also be using the electronic queuing feature in the software to give players the chance to get away if they're deep in a slower-moving queue.

#61 8 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

I thought there was going to be also a winner for best EM/SS/DMD era
    how will that work if you dont play all the games? if you played 10 games twice, 2 games wouldnt get in your score to win one of those titles?

Era champs will still be the best ranking score across an eras four pins.

It's completely up to each player how they want to use their 20 plays.
    To maximize the chance of finals qualifying, getting a ranking score on 10 pins will likely be necessary. To increase your chance of winning an era award, you'll want to get a score on all four of those pins. So that may then steer you to playing 4, 4, and 2 of the different eras vs 4, 3, and 3.

Once again, it's all up to you.

#62 8 years ago
    Quoted from dbellAZ:

For next year, perhaps consider adding additional games

This will absolutely be considered for next year to have additional available pins in the tourney bank.

Quoted from dbellAZ:

expand the finals so making them depends less on luck

This will also be considered for next year. For this year, the idea was to keep the finals as simple as possible, and showcasing the finals on a Saturday evening meant we couldn't do more than 16 with byes, because four rounds of PAPA-style finals typically takes 8 hours.

#64 8 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

Do WPPR points get awarded to the Era champs? or just the main tournament?

Good question. Just the main tournament.

#77 8 years ago
    Quoted from jdoz2:

To be fair, I overreacted a little. I still plan on entering the tournament and Im sure it will be fun. Just didn't really like that details changed after I purchased my entry. Still excited and cant wait!

I had the same overreaction when first facing and considering reducing plays, and I detest changing fundamental details at this stage, but once I considered the options with the rest of the team, while not ideal, this is FAR better than some players getting all 30 plays in, and other players only able to get 15-20 in when expecting their fair share of 30.

#80 8 years ago
    Quoted from HoneyBadger:

You are right in the fact that I should have listened to people and the history of the TPF tournament that warned me. 10 plays cuts my tourney time by 33%. The tourney is the only reason for attending the show for me as I could care less about the free play area. If I average 5 min per game that gives me less than 2 hours of play time for the entire qualifying time! Not cool to change it after the fact.

I agree that it's not cool to change it after the fact. I'm sorry that it doesn't meet your expectations. But I hope you understand that the alternative was far worse (see other posts). And the solution picked REDUCES the chances of chaos and frustration that many experienced in years past.

#171 8 years ago

Whysnow:
    Thanks for the feedback, suggestions, and your opinion. Don't worry, I don't take it personally.
    I do take it personally that I didn't catch the flaw in the #'s earlier. While I didn't develop the format, I should have caught it earlier. I won't make that mistake again.

I'm sorry that you made travel and vacation plans around trying to find an advantage in playing a lot early, knowing that many players likely wouldn't be able to get them all it. I don't fault you for being shrewd and wanting to do this. But based on your thread comments, it sounds like you do appreciate why we had to make the change when we did. To do so after everyone had registered sucks, and I don't expect everyone to be happy, but to not do anything would have been far worse.

My initial reaction to reducing plays was "No way!" Both with the TPF organizers and with Josh.
    I tried moving heaven and earth to explore other means by which to alleviate the issue, but they either had fatal flaws, or weren't as good as the option that we went with. I'll tell you the whole story over a beer if I get some time away from the tourney, and after I've gotten the chance to play a couple games with my kids.

Regarding the # of plays, many others have already stated what I feel and know to be true. And ironically, you're arguing a point that's contrary to the fact that you're among the higher-ranked players that's signed up for TPF.

Regarding the $/play, the team decided that we stick with the original one-time entry price of the tourney and offer full refunds to those that want to opt out. There is a waiting list of people that want in. I realize that a refund isn't much consolation to someone traveling from distance. But $60 for what should hopefully be a smooth, well-run tourney is good value. And as others have mentioned, getting ample time on the TPF festival floor, in seminars, and with the people that make up the show is a Super Jackpot of a consolation.

See you next weekend.

#173 8 years ago
    Quoted from HoneyBadger:

Why not just add more pins to the tourney???

We tried going this route, but it had fatal flaws. One was due to the multi-era format and the software, which is designed for tourneys that don't care what era a pin is from within one tourney.

And by the way, Karl's software is amazing and he has been an incredible help.

#180 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

wondering how many females are registered for the tourney. (wife was asking so she knows her odds)

Around 20, I believe.

#181 8 years ago
    Quoted from Noahs_Arcade:

that was a huge complaint last year. partially because there were a ton of games in the tournament, and partially because they were so incredibly awesome!

Tourney games will be top notch again this year. And all can enjoy them all day Sunday.

#211 8 years ago
    Quoted from iepinball:

It's my system, so I can answer that
    After the scorekeepers record a score they see the entire queue and start reading off from the top. First available player is then selected and everyone above that player is logged as missing their turn. After 3 consecutive misses they are bumped from the queue. The system does not use an entry until a score is recorded or a void is requested so no need to worry about losing an entry.
    The hope is few people will miss their turns since they can queue up on the website and also easily see where in the queue they are at any time on the website, in two places no less.

Thanks again, Karl, for all your help!

For anyone playing in TPF -- or has/will play in a tourney that uses DTM -- if you cross paths with Karl at a future event, be sure to buy him a drink, give him a high five, and tell him thanks for all he does for pinball.

#212 8 years ago
    Quoted from n3wtr0n:

Annnnnnnnd......I slacked it on buying a tourney entry. Anyone know how to get added to the waitlist if that's even still possible?

What gtown said. But since it's full, chances are slim at this point. Send the email and pray.

1 week later
    #233 8 years ago

A few big thank you's first: to Ken, Ed, and Kim -- for helping organize not only the tourney, but also the whole amazing spectacle that is TPF. To Rachel -- for helping as a tournament director.

To all the volunteers who contributed pins, helped set up, scorekeep, register kids/parents, queue players, and fix pin issues as they cropped up. There are too many to name -- we had 4 scorekeeper volunteers and 1 judge volunteer per shift, and every single slot was filled.

Special thanks to Eugene Marsh for not only helping with the scorekeeping he signed up for, but also helping on a ton of tech issues. What was our final drop target replacement count up to on Torch? 5? 6?

Thanks to Jack Danger and Nate Shivers for streaming and commentating all 6 hours of the tourney finals.

HUGE thank you to Karl DeAngelo, who's tourney software is simply amazing.

And last, thank you to all the players who participated in the biggest turnout ever for the TPF tourney.
    If you haven't already voted for a tournament to add to the 2016-2017 PAPA Circuit Tournament calendar, please consider voting for TPF 2017 as an addition to the PAPA Circuit: http://papa.org/2016/03/19/circuit-event-voting-is-now-open/
    Voting only takes 2-3 clicks and a couple seconds of your time. Thanks!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Snailman.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/texas-pinball-fest-2016-tourney-new-and-improved?tu=Snailman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.