(Topic ID: 148683)

Texas Pinball Fest 2016 Tourney: New and Improved!

By Snailman

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 234 posts
  • 53 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by mike21878
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

standings_(resized).jpg
    IMG953356_(resized).jpg
    index_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 85vett.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 8 years ago

If that is the BSD I'm thinking of it's a mean SOB. Plays great though but don't even think about missing your shot.

A lot of games I've never played. Time to branch out and learn some new games.

#16 8 years ago

Colin - I sent you a PM about this but wanted to post that here as well just to be safe as it relates to GOT.

Just a FYI. I have come to find out that they did not put an interlock switch on the GOT machines. I tested out the coin door ball saver and it DOES NOT work even when it is set to being on. I also confirmed that the game will go into ball search if you open the door and have to do any work (mid game) on the machine, like removing a stuck ball or even putting a light back in.

Just a FYI for the tournament as it behaves differently than other sterns under these situations and could cause an issue if the person playing the game and working on the game were not aware of this.

#19 8 years ago

If it makes you feel any better. The prem/LE's now come with the lock bar latches now too. Found that out too when I opened my LE last week.

I just wanted to make sure it was known as I'd hate to see someone get bit by that while having a good game.

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

Try putting the game into the test menu when opening up the door. That should pause the game for you to "do your business", and then resume everything where it left off once you exit the menu.

Thanks for the tip. I'll give that a try. Was thinking that would reset the game if you did anything other than adjust the volume.

#24 8 years ago

Dang. And I just sold my ST Pro.

Looks like a good line up. Some common games as well as some not so common games. Got a few longer ball time games as well as some that will kick you in the family jewels. Looking forward to it and hopeful I qualify this year. First time in this type of format so I'm trying to figure out the best strategy.

#26 8 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

You guys are killing me. That DMD and EM selection is like my dream come true for tournament games.
    Suggest a sign for Demo Man if the claw is to be disabled.

Come on. You don't want lock freezes all day

Anyway. I hope you are able to go to Vegas and represent Texas.

1 week later
    #79 8 years ago

Shoot. I only needed 10 plays anyways.... BAZZINGA...

Why am I getting nervous already. That is my one goal each year for pinball, to qualify at TPF. Going to be real tough this year.

#102 8 years ago
    Quoted from Noahs_Arcade:

this is patently false. it is the exact opposite. reducing the number of plays puts more emphasis on a lucky bounce here or a house ball there. the more opportunities a better player has on a game, the more likely they are to beat your or my score.
    i could see the cost being a concern, but reducing the number of plays actually gives me a better shot at qualifying

I actually disagree with this part. The lower number of plays still, to me, benifits the better players as they are more consistent. Yes, you may get a lucky game but a novice player is not going to get multiple lucky games in this format. Pump in dump they can play until they do get that one good game.

My proof (if you want to call it that). How many A list players do you see staying late in qualifying trying to make the bubble vs the % of novice players. Most of the time I see the better players qualifying on their first try and are playing the game more to improve their spot (bye's) and to get more acquainted to the games in prep for the playoffs.

Quoted from Snailman:

Era champs will still be the best ranking score across an eras four pins.
    It's completely up to each player how they want to use their 20 plays.
    To maximize the chance of finals qualifying, getting a ranking score on 10 pins will likely be necessary. To increase your chance of winning an era award, you'll want to get a score on all four of those pins. So that may then steer you to playing 4, 4, and 2 of the different eras vs 4, 3, and 3.
    Once again, it's all up to you.

Was thinking about this more last night. If I may offer a suggestion to help with this (probably more for next year).

Think about reducing the number of games that count towards your total score from 10 games to 9 games (keep plays at 20) and force people to take a score for 3 games per bank vs having someone go 4/4/1. Take the top 3 ranked scores from each bank to come up with the total rank score for the playoffs. A player can chose to play all 4 games in a bank but only 3 of the 4 games would be necessary. Then the ERA champ can be crowned based off each players top 3 games on each bank.

#104 8 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

Come play Ghostbusters at the show!

WHAT! I sure hope they have one at TPF

#107 8 years ago
    Quoted from Captive_Ball:

Is there anyway...or time that the tournament games be open for non-tournament folks to play? Without getting in the tournament? I would love to play a couple games of Frontier, but don't want to enter the tourney just for that.

They always open them up to normal freeplay once the finals are over. So it sounds like Sunday they will be open for play.

#126 8 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

Not if you had to wait in line behind me for each game

We'd be OK. We don't allow people to drink water during a game of pinball in Texas. Sorry, I couldn't resist, only razzing you

#153 8 years ago

Josh - I'd like for you to change the rules at PAPA (just an example as I don't recall you running that one) a couple of days before the tournament and see how many that are giving whysnow crap change their tune. Obviously I'm only being sarcastic (figured I'd throw that in since nobody can tell my tone on the internet).

While I don't feel the same way as whysnow I'm disappointed to see all the crap he is getting for saying he is frustrated about what occurred. I have a feeling it's because us Austin people (most vocal against him) know Colin and know he is one of the most stand up guys around and we know that this hickup probably kept him sick in his stomach and up at night for weeks trying to figure out a solution. Taking on this task was huge and I applaud him for what he is doing. He deserves the feedback though (good and bad) so that we as a community can make things even better next year.

Going from Josh's groupings I fall in category 2. I'm just happy to play in a tournament and am hoping to do good and to be able to help Colin make things run as smooth as possible. But I'm not going to look down on someone that is in category 1 or 2 and is upset about what changed. I've been hesitant to speak up more about this as I don't want to add fuel to anything or to offend Colin or Josh. I think they both know I respect them greatly but I thought it needed to be said.

I just hope we can finally all move on from this.

#190 8 years ago

Saw a link to the tracker in another thread and thought I should post it here as well.

http://www.neverdrains.com/tpf2016

Colin - How did you know I was going to be signed up as "Test Player 5"? Nice of you to record my scores already

#192 8 years ago
    Quoted from iepinball:

No more test players. Go ahead and view your competition!

Pretty cool.

Hmm... Am I bored enough to take that list and add IFPA rankings to it? Maybe.. would be pretty neat to see.

#201 8 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

*scratch head*
    I wouldn't even claim this and I've been in the top 100, and representing TX in a few days for the SCS. I wouldn't be quite so cocky off one or two fluke victories. There's at least 6 or 7 TX people on that list that I dread playing....including our state champion? Seems a bit.....overly optimistic, but best of luck! These guys are consistent, top notch players across a variety of eras, this isn't going to be a walk in the park tournament!

Aw, thank you for the kind words. Oh wait, you probably weren't talking about me. Carry on.

IFPA #945 is coming after all of you. Muhahahahahaha. Let the house ball commence, at least that is what I'm going to tell everyone after I don't make the cut.

#203 8 years ago

OK, may I be serious again for just a minute.

Has anyone used this queue system? I'm curious what will happen if the next person in line is not in the tournament area ready to play. If their is one thing I have learned it is that there is a pretty big % of pinball players that like to dilly dally when it is their turn to play. I'm hoping it's one of those things that if you aren't there at the very moment the game is ready for play the player is skipped (no questions asked) and that they have to go back to the end of the line.

Also, if a player is skipped does it take one of their attempts away? Assuming not, but thought I should ask as I really have no clue about this process.

#214 8 years ago

Actually qualified.

My play in the first round was mighty embarrassing though. Still had a great time. Much improved and loved the software. Hopefully next year there are more tournaments (modern, classic, etc).

#222 8 years ago

Just got home. Gotta say, the 15th place trophy I got when I got home was pretty nice.

IMG953356_(resized).jpgIMG953356_(resized).jpg

#225 8 years ago

Wanted to post this here as I thought it was pretty cool to see the standings of the players that made it and where they finished.

I thought their would be more randomness with only 20 plays but it looks fairly consistent in rankings.

Dave Andresen is a much better player than his IFPA shows. He just started in competition play about a year ago and I really feel he's someone to watch out for.

I'm Brad Holliday - I play in 1-2 tournaments a year right now so that doesn't help my IFPA ranking much either. Hoping to change that though this year.

standings_(resized).jpgstandings_(resized).jpg

#228 8 years ago
    Quoted from Law:

You should come out to league, Brad!
    Yes, I'll continue plugging it You know I know what your conflicts are.
    Does your spreadsheet go to 17?

I stopped at 16 since the thought process was around randomness in the qualification process.

I'm seriously considering joining. I want to badly as I need to practice with the pressure of match/bracket play. My soccer season ends in May so I'm looking to try and join at that point and pick up a new team that plays on a different day. Can you send me the info for that league? I tried looking for it on Bat City but could only locate the Buffalo Billiards one.

#230 8 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

Hah thanks for the kind words
    I'm really happy with how well I did, I was hoping to place in the top 40 and was considering that a success. Getting the opportunity to play in the Group stages was amazing, a great experience and all the other competitors were really awesome to chat with. I couldn't have been luckier to get grouped with you and Robert and Jack for my first time in a PAPA grouping. The advice I received from all of you was greatly appreciated and I will carry it with me for future events.
    I just starting playing IFPA competitions, and it is just such a fun experience. These games were by far the hardest set up ones I've played competitively, mostly just been playing the local/area barcade monthlies, nothing of this caliber. I'm going to try and make Expo this year, and if im lucky I may travel to another big event. other than that I'll be at the Rocky Mountain Pinball Showdown.
    Hope to see you guys again, if not sooner then at TPF 2017!
    -Dave

No problem at all. Pinball is about sharing and it was the right thing to do. Look forward to playing with you again sometime in the future too.

Only question now that I have. Is my official nick name in the pinball world now "short plunge"

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 85vett.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/texas-pinball-fest-2016-tourney-new-and-improved?tu=85vett and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.