(Topic ID: 148683)

Texas Pinball Fest 2016 Tourney: New and Improved!

By Snailman

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 234 posts
  • 53 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by mike21878
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

standings_(resized).jpg
    IMG953356_(resized).jpg
    index_(resized).jpg

There are 234 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
    #1 3 years ago

The Texas Pinball Festival aims to have one of the best tournaments to match what many believe is the best pinball show in the country. So we’re excited to announce that the 2016 TPF Tournament will be dramatically simplified and overhauled from prior years, reverting back to a format that incorporates best practices that work well for tournament players. It will:

– be easy to understand and well documented,
    – run smoothly,
    – pay out 100% entry fees back to players as cash prizes,
    – provide player ranking/score status in real-time using Karl DeAngelo’s DTM tournament manager,
    – allow time for players to enjoy the TPF exhibit hall and seminars, and
    – be a lot of fun!

More than 80 of the 200 spots have already been claimed, so don’t wait to secure yours. It’s a $60 one-time entry fee, and with 80 players so far, the prize for first place would be upwards of $1,400. The pot can only get larger!

We’re also excited to announce that the TPF Tourney finals will be hosted, streamed, and commentated by Jack Danger of Dead Flip and Nate Shivers of Coast2Coast Pinball!

If you’ve never been to the Texas Pinball Festival before, you’re missing out on an incredible show experience and what is shaping up to be an incredible tournament. If you've played in TPF tournaments in the past, and been disappointed in how the tournament was run, we invite you to give it another shot. We're confident you won't be disappointed.

Check out details in the Tournament Quick Guide and on our Tournament pages.
    http://texaspinball.com/tpf/wp-content/TPF-2016-Tournament-Quick-Guide.pdf
    http://texaspinball.com/tpf/tournaments/texas-wizards-tournament/

Don’t forget that the tournament tickets don’t include show admission. Make sure you are pre-registered for the show to save $10 over the door price.

Register now (http://texaspinball.com/tpf/tpfstore/) and see you at TPF 2016!

#2 3 years ago

If all 200 tournament spots are filled, that's a $12,000 prize pool!

#3 3 years ago

Not to mention that the prize pool is paid out to all 16 finalists, and current registered pool puts it at an estimated $5,000.
    As it stands right now, estimated nearly $1600 for 1st, and 9th-16th paying out over $100.

See you all at TPF 2016!

#4 3 years ago

I'm in, like the format better than the one last year

#5 3 years ago

Limiting entries is absolutely the way to go. It's the only way for people to be able to enjoy the show.

1 month later
    #6 3 years ago

We're now a month away from TPF and the TPF Wizards tourney!
    I hope everyone is getting excited for the show and the tourney. Please continue to spread the word and invite more people to join in what is shaping up to be an outstanding tournament.

Here is a mostly finalized list of pins that will be used in the Wizards tourney (subject to change, standard disclaimer, etc):

Modern DMD:
    GOT Pro
    Demo Man
    Bram Stoker's Dracula
    (one more TBD)

Solid State:
    Frontier
    Nitro Ground Shaker
    Torch
    Whirlwind

EM:
    Fireball
    300, or Atlantis (Gottlieb) if 300 isn't ready in time
    Buckaroo
    Campus Queen
    (one more being considered instead of one of the above)

#7 3 years ago

Thanks for publishing the list of games thus far! It is greatly appreciated!

#8 3 years ago

Yes very much appreciated. Looking forward to this tournament!

#9 3 years ago

120+ now registered for the tourney.

#10 3 years ago

All players: please note the tourney schedule on the TPF web site.
    If you're planning on playing the in the tournament, keep in mind that the tournament is open for play on Friday noon, while the rest of the show floor doesn't open until 5pm Friday.

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from Snailman:

All players: please note the tourney schedule on the TPF web site.
    If you're planning on playing the in the tournament, keep in mind that the tournament is open for play on Friday noon, while the rest of the show floor doesn't open until 5pm Friday.

Thanks for that heads up!

#13 3 years ago

If that is the BSD I'm thinking of it's a mean SOB. Plays great though but don't even think about missing your shot.

A lot of games I've never played. Time to branch out and learn some new games.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from Snailman:

120+ now registered for the tourney.

woohoo! that's awesome.

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from Spraynard:

woohoo! that's awesome.

I will destroy you! Just thought the shit talking should start now!

#16 3 years ago

Colin - I sent you a PM about this but wanted to post that here as well just to be safe as it relates to GOT.

Just a FYI. I have come to find out that they did not put an interlock switch on the GOT machines. I tested out the coin door ball saver and it DOES NOT work even when it is set to being on. I also confirmed that the game will go into ball search if you open the door and have to do any work (mid game) on the machine, like removing a stuck ball or even putting a light back in.

Just a FYI for the tournament as it behaves differently than other sterns under these situations and could cause an issue if the person playing the game and working on the game were not aware of this.

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

Just a FYI. I have come to find out that they did not put an interlock switch on the GOT machines. I tested out the coin door ball saver and it DOES NOT work even when it is set to being on.

Well that sucks.
    I turned on the coin door ball save on the day I got the game.
    Have not had to use it yet, but now I find out it is useless. Arrrrgh.
    Stern seem to be slowly pissing me off. First the lock bar latches and no slider rails, then the power switch on the head, and now no coin door ball save.
    But they can get away with it being pretty much the only game in town.

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

Just a FYI. I have come to find out that they did not put an interlock switch on the GOT machines. I tested out the coin door ball saver and it DOES NOT work even when it is set to being on. I also confirmed that the game will go into ball search if you open the door and have to do any work (mid game) on the machine, like removing a stuck ball or even putting a light back in.

Try putting the game into the test menu when opening up the door. That should pause the game for you to "do your business", and then resume everything where it left off once you exit the menu.

#19 3 years ago

If it makes you feel any better. The prem/LE's now come with the lock bar latches now too. Found that out too when I opened my LE last week.

I just wanted to make sure it was known as I'd hate to see someone get bit by that while having a good game.

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

Try putting the game into the test menu when opening up the door. That should pause the game for you to "do your business", and then resume everything where it left off once you exit the menu.

Thanks for the tip. I'll give that a try. Was thinking that would reset the game if you did anything other than adjust the volume.

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

Thanks for the tip. I'll give that a try. Was thinking that would reset the game if you did anything other than adjust the volume.

Not sure if it's all SAM games, but there definitely came a time where you can go into test, exit out, and be right back where you left off.

This has come in handy big time on two things that will come up:

1) A major malfunction happens where a player is given an extra ball. You can go into the test menu and change the number of balls for the game from 3 to 4. This will allow the player to continue play from the current game rather than being forced to play ball 1 of a new game and have all status lost

2) Test a switch to verify whether it is working. If a player hits a jackpot, and claims that they got boned on the ramp shot, you're able to go into switch test and verify if it's good or not without causing the game to advance in play for triggering the switch.

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from Arcade:

Well that sucks.
    I turned on the coin door ball save on the day I got the game.
    Have not had to use it yet, but now I find out it is useless. Arrrrgh.
    Stern seem to be slowly pissing me off. First the lock bar latches and no slider rails, then the power switch on the head, and now no coin door ball save.
    But they can get away with it being pretty much the only game in town.

Leon, Please test this on your GOT Pro (I think you got a Pro, correct?)
    We'll be using a Pro at TPF, so I want to determine if this is an issue for all GOT, or just the LE/Prem.

#23 3 years ago

UPDATED PIN LIST!

Here is what should be the finalized list of pins that will be used in the Wizards tourney (subject to change, standard disclaimer, etc):
    *** Modern DMD ***
    GOT Pro
    Demo Man
    Bram Stoker's Dracula
    Stark Trek (Stern, Pro) ADDED

*** Solid State *** (unchanged)
    Frontier
    Nitro Ground Shaker
    Torch
    Whirlwind

*** EM ***
    Fireball
    Atlantis (Gottlieb) -- because 300's melted coils aren't going to be fixed in time
    Campus Queen
    Cleopatra ADDED (Buckaroo REMOVED)

As a reminder: please also purchase your Festival registration passes in advance. The festival entrance price is higher at the door vs in advance. Tournament registration & fees does NOT include entrance/badge to the festival. Both are required to play in the tourney.

#24 3 years ago

Dang. And I just sold my ST Pro.

Looks like a good line up. Some common games as well as some not so common games. Got a few longer ball time games as well as some that will kick you in the family jewels. Looking forward to it and hopeful I qualify this year. First time in this type of format so I'm trying to figure out the best strategy.

#25 3 years ago

You guys are killing me. That DMD and EM selection is like my dream come true for tournament games.

Suggest a sign for Demo Man if the claw is to be disabled.

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

You guys are killing me. That DMD and EM selection is like my dream come true for tournament games.
    Suggest a sign for Demo Man if the claw is to be disabled.

Come on. You don't want lock freezes all day

Anyway. I hope you are able to go to Vegas and represent Texas.

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

Come on. You don't want lock freezes all day
    Anyway. I hope you are able to go to Vegas and represent Texas.

I don't even do that, using the claw, but I do appreciate the freedom to choose when to take the lock freeze as opposed to being forced to take it early or be locked out of advancement of the claw.

#28 3 years ago

I'm totally gunna win !

#29 3 years ago

These tourney improvements are *yet another* reason I wish I could come this year. Yes, I'm regretting... Oh well. Y'all have a blast and raise a cold one for me!

#31 3 years ago

Looks sweet

#32 3 years ago

TPF Wizard Tourney qualifying hours extension: To provide more time for all players to be able to complete all of their 30 plays, Friday qualifying times have been extended by two hours. On Friday, qualifying will now run from 11am - 1am (Saturday morning). Saturday is unchanged. We continue to recommend players get some/all of their plays in early.

#33 3 years ago

EM pin change:
    As noted, due to 300 having two melted coils that won't get repaired in time, Atlantis (Gottlieb) will be used.

#34 3 years ago

Just subscribed. Looking forward to it, less than two weeks left

#35 3 years ago

Nice list of games, need to find some of these around to practice on!

#36 3 years ago

Wish I could attend as those tourney games are to my liking.

#37 3 years ago

"The number of attempts per player will be reduced from 30 to 20."

Not exactly thrilled about that.

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from jdoz2:

Where are you seeing this? Huge mistake if it's true. 3 days ago they added 2 hours to the tournament times, so no reason to drop it to 20 tickets.

#39 3 years ago

TPF2016 Wizards Tournament Changes
    Thank you to all the players who are registered to play in the TPF WIzards Tournament next week. Tourney player registration is now closed with 160 players, creating a total prize pool of $9,600.

The positive response to the TPF new tourney format has been incredible. We're excited to provide a great tournament to match a world-class show. Because the tournament participation level is higher than expected, and after doing the math, we realize there is insufficient qualification time under the orginal format. We truly want to provide the best experience for everyone, allowing for all players to have time to get in the same number of limited plays and to enjoy the best collector's show in the world. To that end, and after consulting with IFPA officials, the following changes are being made to the Wizard's Tournament format:

Players will be required to demonstrate skill across all three eras (DMD, SS, EM). A player's best 10 of 12 pin ranking scores will be counted in the qualifying standings. Each player may choose to use their plays across all 12 pins or focus only on those pins that give them the best chance at qualifying.
    The number of attempts per player will be reduced from 30 to 20. This equates to $3 per play, comparable to most other large tournaments.
    Tournament qualifying hours will be extended: Friday 11am-1am and Saturday 9am-5pm (a total of 22 hours).

We appreciate everyone's understanding and we are working hard to make this a successful tournament. Should you wish to withdraw from the Wizards Tournament due to these changes, refunds will be available until Tuesday, March 15th, via email request to registration@texaspinball.com. The TPF website and tournament guide will be updated shortly to reflect these changes.

We look forward to seeing everyone at TPF next week!

#40 3 years ago

nvm ^^^

#41 3 years ago

edit- Colin's on the ball!

I don't think everyone got this email, so posting to the Facebook page and updating the web site should also be a priority

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from jdoz2:

I am kinda pissed about it actually. Should have just reduced the cost of entry instead of gimping the 'value' of each entry. I get the whole "$3 per entry is in line with most major tournaments" but until TPF can prove that their tournament can go smoothly I don't think that is a valid point.

#43 3 years ago
    Quoted from Gov:

I am kinda pissed about it actually. Should have just reduced the cost of entry instead of gimping the 'value' of each entry. I get the whole "$3 per entry is in line with most major tournaments" but until TPF can prove that their tournament can go smoothly I don't think that is a valid point.

I was really excited about this year, but its just weird to charge a fee upfront and then change the terms after the fact. Thats not even two attempts per game.

#44 3 years ago
    Quoted from jdoz2:

I was really excited about this year, but its just weird to charge a fee upfront and then change the terms after the fact. Thats not even two attempts per game.

This is my issue. Many of these games I have never played before, but at least I was going to get 2-3 tries on average.

#45 3 years ago
    Quoted from jdoz2:

Nor are we thrilled in having to make a change. But we're still thrilled with what should be an excellent tourney.

After further analysis of the situation.... pin capacity during qualifying hours, # of players, and doing our best to keep it simple, fair, and greatest chance of running smoothly to provide an enjoyable experience to all, that's what we arrived at.

I can chime in with more information and answer questions later this evening --- I have work that has to be finished up.
    Please feel free to ask questions here.

#46 3 years ago

10 more tries to improve your scores is a huge amount. Not trivial at all.

#47 3 years ago
    Quoted from Snailman:

Nor are we thrilled in having to make a change. But we're still thrilled with what should be an excellent tourney.
    After further analysis of the situation.... pin capacity during qualifying hours, # of players, and doing our best to keep it simple, fair, and greatest chance of running smoothly to provide an enjoyable experience to all, that's what we arrived at.
    I can chime in with more information and answer questions later this evening --- I have work that has to be finished up.
    Please feel free to ask questions here.

There are 40 less people than the 200 max. Strange that this would all change because of that.

#48 3 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

This is my issue. Many of these games I have never played before, but at least I was going to get 2-3 tries on average.

I think all the games in the tournament have multiple duplicates on the show floor, at least the modern ones.

#49 3 years ago
    Quoted from Gov:

I'm sorry to hear, but I understand the feeling.
    I'm confident that the format changes, software change, and simplification of the tourney vs past years will prove it's worth.

#50 3 years ago
    Quoted from Gov:

10 more tries to improve your scores is a huge amount. Not trivial at all.

The bigger issue here was that based on the timing, you weren't guaranteed to get those 10 additional tries anyway.

There was a high probability that people were going to come up short being able to play all 30, so the debate was:

Option 1 - Do you piss off everyone NOW in advance of the tournament, and lower the entries to make sure it's fair for everyone.

Option 2 - Do you ultimately piss off everyone Saturday afternoon of qualifying as it starts to set in with the players that they're only going to get through 22 entries, or 24, or 'however many' making it inconsistent between players, and still not paying off those 30 entries as was advertised.

Either option people will be upset

I didn't hesitate to recommend lowering the number of entries to 20, to ensure that everyone is on equal footing for qualifying. By lowering the games needed for qualifying to 10 ensures that you get to play every game twice. If you happen to knock out a good score on any of those 10 your first time around, that'll give you '1 to play with' at your convenience to play a game a 3rd time if you want.

The value for 60 tickets at $20 is right in line with 'best practices' for this kind of tournament.

After seeing the response from signups, and even with extending the hours, everyone getting through 30 qualifying tickets became something that nobody on the team thought could happen, so the situation is being handled now rather than once things start.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 93.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 1,000.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields
    $ 259.99
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Great American Pinball
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 68.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 8,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Hobbit Black Arrow Out of stock
    Operation Pinball
    $ 248.00
    $ 28.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Gameroom Mods
    $ 60.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Vandelay Industries
    £ 49.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 20.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 24.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    $ 169.95
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Pinball Pro
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Bright Lights Pinball
    There are 234 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside