Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 68 days ago by coming2u
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 months ago

I'm thinking about going to the Denton TX auction in two weeks. Anything I need to know?

https://bid.adastraauctions.com/#!/auctions/bb48e471-87cd-44bf-acb9-605671be64cc?ic=30

Looks like a bunch of vids so far, and a pin or two.

#2 10 months ago

Haha, I stopped going to auctions when I saw a Big Hurt sell for $6200 before taxes and fees....

#3 10 months ago
    Quoted from dextrose42:

Anything I need to know?

Termites & other bugs not local to Iowa. Know what to look for.

#4 10 months ago
    Quoted from Friengineer:

Termites & other bugs not local to Iowa. Know what to look for.

Yeah, I usually see a lot more bug damage from stuff that comes from down south. You don't really see much of that up here in the north, thankfully.

Quoted from Luke_Nukem:

Haha, I stopped going to auctions when I saw a Big Hurt sell for $6200 before taxes and fees....

Unless there's an offline local-only auction, you're probably not going to get any significant deals. You're going to be competing against anyone who might be there in person, plus anyone who might be bidding online. So be prepared to pay market prices or above.

Don't forget to calculate the premium and sales tax into the total.

#5 10 months ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Unless there's an offline local-only auction, you're probably not going to get any significant deals. You're going to be competing against anyone who might be there in person, plus anyone who might be bidding online. So be prepared to pay market prices or above.
    Don't forget to calculate the premium and sales tax into the total.

15% buyers premium and 8.25% sales tax on top of hammer price.

#6 10 months ago
    Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

15% buyers premium and 8.25% sales tax on top of hammer price.

Considering most auctions I see these days are 23%-25% now, that's not too bad.

#7 10 months ago

Why would you drive 10-1/2 hours each way to pay retail after fees and taxes? This auctioneer hosts 5-6 auctions a year, so it's not like a special one time only sale. The same locals show up each time.

#8 10 months ago

If you are coming down just to go to the auction I'd skip it. Since this auction is online you won't find any deals. Personally if you are bent on doing an auction in Texas I'd go to the American Amusement Auctions event on September 23rd.

Now, AAA does some shady stuff, but if you don't consign and pay attention to who is raising their hand when you are bidding you will be much more likely to find a deal or two.

Unrelated question, why do we have three auction companies doing amusement equipment in the North Texas area?

#9 10 months ago
    Quoted from digdug2084:

Unrelated question, why do we have three auction companies doing amusement equipment in the North Texas area?

I've heard of AdAstra and American Amusement Auctions.

Who is the third?

#10 10 months ago
    Quoted from dextrose42:

I've heard of AdAstra and American Amusement Auctions.
    Who is the third?

I'm probably expanding the distance more than others, but bidderbros does stuff around Austin. Probably the best auctioneer in Texas if you are looking for JDM games.

#11 10 months ago

Wonder what I, Robot will end up selling for.

#12 10 months ago
    Quoted from digdug2084:

I'm probably expanding the distance more than others, but bidderbros does stuff around Austin. Probably the best auctioneer in Texas if you are looking for JDM games.

Usually I'm looking for oddball stuff - trade stimulators, non pinball em games... Also -35 era Bally/Stern project machines.

#13 10 months ago
    Quoted from dextrose42:

Usually I'm looking for oddball stuff - trade stimulators, non pinball em games... Also -35 era Bally/Stern project machines.

I've only really seen trade stimulators show up in AAA auctions. Since they and Ad Astra are entirely consignment it's hard to say what you would see when. I always find locally that projects are easier to buy privately, but sometimes you get lucky. A buddy got a deal on a banzai run project in a semi recent AAA auction, so that can happen.

8 months later
    #14 68 days ago
    Quoted from digdug2084:

If you are coming down just to go to the auction I'd skip it. Since this auction is online you won't find any deals. Personally if you are bent on doing an auction in Texas I'd go to the American Amusement Auctions event on September 23rd.
    Now, AAA does some shady stuff, but if you don't consign and pay attention to who is raising their hand when you are bidding you will be much more likely to find a deal...

As one of the recent receivers of that shady stuff, I'll say that AAA isn't getting another dime out of me, Cosigning or bidding.

The guy running that place has no shame. Posting this in case someone like me, checks for "American Amusement Auctions"before they get ripped off.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.