(Topic ID: 100089)

Testors brand water slide "OK" to clearcoat?

By MT45

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

Wondering if this brand and type of water slide decal is ok to lay 2 part auto clear over? Anyone use it?
    image.jpgimage.jpg

#2 9 years ago

Only way to know for sure is to test it. From what I understand most waterslide decals will react to automotive clearcoat so you have to be sure to put a very thin layer of automotive clearcoat (or maybe something else??) to seal them before the final coats.

#3 9 years ago

I used this for my BOP heart decal. It worked fine but I didn't use 2 part auto clear on it though so can't speak for that.

Depending on the level of restoration you are looking to do you may be better off with a better decal. Those seemed really thin and easily distorted (stretched). Can be done with care if they are smaller overlays. Be sure to get the spray with them that seals the ink or it will bleed when put in the water.

#4 9 years ago

Thanks all and if someone has a recommended Waterslide decal brand that for sure works with 2 part auto clear I would appreciate it

#5 9 years ago

Check the very long but very good VID's guide to playfield restoration thread.

#6 9 years ago

I have used these with varathane and spraymax 2K with no issues. Don't forget to spray clear on the decal paper itself after you print it BEFORE you put it in water. That clear can be anything ($4.99 rustoleum from Home Depot, for instance). This locks the ink onto the clear part of the paper - otherwise ink will come off in the water.

-scott

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/testors-brand-water-slide-ok-to-clearcoat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.