Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
magnet (resized).jpeg
IMG_0784 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pin_Guy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from SkillshotExhibit:

0.53 is what I get when I put the leads on the coil, Im not sure if that is what I want to see or not.

Someone mentioned looking at the ribbon cable that connects the CPU to the WPC, could that be the cause, should I get a new ribbon cable and magnet?

I'm assuming that this is the Sol 06 lock magnet; if not, the transistor and fuse numbers may be incorrect, but the testing procedures are still valid.

I'm uncertain what this coil should measure, but I would have to say 5.3 ohms (as seen on your meter) is likely normal; if in doubt, you can compare it to your ramp magnet as they should measure the same. Make these measurements at the playfield connector, just to make sure they are good at that point.

I would also verify you aren't blowing F103.

If you don't find any issues there, just flip over your ribbon cable between the CPU and PDB so that you are using different contacts on the cable. If this fixes it you need a new cable.

If it's still not working put both your meter leads into the playfield connector that normally goes to the magnet; with the game powered on, you should measure 0V with the magnet off and 50V when the magnet is turned on. If this doesn't happen, Q66 is likely bad; a secondary cause would be failure of its driver Q62.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

If it's still not working put both your meter leads into the playfield connector that normally goes to the magnet; with the game powered on, you should measure 0V with the magnet off and 50V when the magnet is turned on

Quoted from SkillshotExhibit:

Thanks so much this is all excellent advice. Pardon my ignorance on this- how do I test the connection when I power the game on? The magnet has two wires coming off it that connect into a plastic connector, male into female, the plastic housing on both covers the pins that make the connection, are you referring to another place on the magnet?

You perform this test directly on the connector with the magnet disconnected, what you are checking is that there is a difference in potential across the magnet in order for current to flow. If there is none, no current can flow through the circuit and the magnet cannot energize; when there is a difference, its measurable and would allow for the magnet to energize. Since the magnet doesn't work, this test should fail, and put you on the right path to correcting the problem. If you are 100% sure the board is working properly, than this only leaves the connectors and wiring to the magnet.

J133-2 to one side of the magnet connector, and J116-7 to the other side; you can also perform a resistance check to these points with the power off if its preferable or easier.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 84.99
$ 119.99
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 36.95
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pin_Guy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/testing-williams-totan-magnet?tu=Pin_Guy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.