Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by pincoder
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

So I picked up a spare system 6 mpu board from a blackout, with the thought of burning a rom for alien poker and using it as a backup. The board arrived safely and appears complete and intact. A couple small filter caps are jumpers but nothing horrendous. My question is what is the best way of testing this. Should I just plug her in and cross my fingers, or is there a better way? Is there any risk to my other boards in doing so? My ap is working perfectly and don’t want to screw it up. Thanks guys!

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from Phat_Jay:

So I picked up a spare system 6 mpu board from a blackout, with the thought of burning a rom for alien poker and using it as a backup. The board arrived safely and appears complete and intact. A couple small filter caps are jumpers but nothing horrendous. My question is what is the best way of testing this. Should I just plug her in and cross my fingers, or is there a better way? Is there any risk to my other boards in doing so? My ap is working perfectly and don’t want to screw it up. Thanks guys!

I thought bench boot with Leon Test ROM is best practice. Doesn't seem wise to pull apart the 40 pin connector in your game until you have to.

-Rob
-visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my replacement LED display boards for model H and model S Skee Ball

#3 5 years ago

Yes, I didn’t want to do that either, my ap has new pins and connector, but I’d hate to push my luck. I do need to pull the board anyway to install “franks battery board” from tnt. So this may be my opportunity.

#4 5 years ago

Just don't plug in any of the lamp/solenoid connectors when you drop it in the game. If the right stuff doesn't come up on the displays, turn the game off. Even with everything plugged in, there's nothing that you can damage in 2 seconds from an MPU issue. If you're lucky it'll just work, otherwise I'd get a test rom and a bench power supply.

1 week later
#5 5 years ago
Quoted from Phat_Jay:

I have written some test ROMs from scratch that can be run in the machine - I know your concerned with not messing up your good machine. However, these Test ROMs are designed to start small (01-LEDs checks only that the CPU chip and a few other parts on the board respond). The further you go with the tests, the more of the board (and the machine) are utilized.

My point being, you could start with the first ROM and work your way to the final ROM (13-sounds). The allows you to essentially ease the board into your good machine while testing it at the same time. The other advantage is that you wouldn't have to set up a test bench, and if the board is suspect, your finger is always on the power switch.

You can download all the ROMs in a single zip from here: http://pincoder.reversion.ca

There is also a thread on this site where you can leave some feedback: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-williams-system-6-in-game-test-roms

If you decide to try them, let me know what you think of them

Craig

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff
Cabinet parts
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chicago, IL

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/testing-system-6-mpu and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.