(Topic ID: 226962)

Testing output on Transformer ( dumb I know )

By MartinKettering

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by wayout440
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

transformer (resized).JPG
trnsformer (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider martinkettering.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Hi,

Please forgive my ignorance, I have a lighting fault and the only common place that both light faults meet is at the transformer itself. I have cleaned and checked continuity ect, cleaned connection, checked fuses.
I want to test to see if I am getting 6 volt out of the transformer. I have googled loads of videos, but I need a very basic " Put your multimeter black to this poit, and the red to this point " instruction.
Also ( Its a gotlieb ) would it be 6v DC or AC ?
Thanks for any help you can give this newbie.

#3 5 years ago

Hi,
Thanks for getting back to me.
Its actually a Nordamatic " Champ " game based on the Gotlieb 300 I think.

#5 5 years ago

Hi,

As posted elsewhere ( dont want to flood ) , The feature light ( special, WOW, X ) symbols do not light on the play surface, and there is no lighting at all in the read box. I only brought this weekend as a project, so am feeling my way a bit and learning from you guys here. The only common denominator is that both fuses for the box light and play surface run off the same tab on the transformer. I have cleaned and continuity tested every plug and socket, so this is now my starting point. I know which one is the 6v output, so I can put my multimeter to this ( red ), but where would I put my other connection to get a reading?
Thanks for your responses.

I have added a stock picture offline, my one looks identical.

trnsformer (resized).jpgtrnsformer (resized).jpg
#6 5 years ago

# Read box ~ Top light box #

#8 5 years ago

Hi,

I will test it and come back to you, at least its a logical starting point for me, thanks for your help.

#9 5 years ago

Hi,

I have attached a picture of my actual transformer, do I test between lug showing "5" at the top and "COM " at the bottom?

thanks

transformer (resized).JPGtransformer (resized).JPG
#11 5 years ago

LOL,

Hmmmmm, someone has said as there are " some " lights working then the transformer is probably ok. The " Tilt " sign illuminates on power on, then goes off when a game is started, so no lights in the top box and no special feature lights on the play field at all. Its baffling me!

#14 5 years ago

Hi,

Yes I am in the UK, so 240v is what we have. I have cleaned so many contacts and resoldered so many joints, it really is a needle in a haystack. I was hoping this restoration would have been more a cosmetic issue .... but I am learning more everyday thanks to you guys.

#15 5 years ago

Hi,

Found the issue, the first thing I tested ... The fuse!. It would give continuity when being tested as there was pressure each end, when in the holder it would break connection, must be 1000's of a mm broken inside under the cap one end. Put some 15amp fuse wire in, BINGO, like a Christmas tree!!!!
Thanks for all your help guys, at least I know all the connections are good everywhere else.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 70.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider martinkettering.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/testing-output-on-transformer-dumb-i-know-?tu=martinkettering and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.