• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1068 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
#1 7 years ago

I just replaced all 3 flipper coils on my No Good Gofers. When I go into flippper coil test mode, all 3 flippers fire correctly but the hold test has me wondering something. The lower flippers make a faint noise but don't fire when in hold test. However, the upper flipper fires and holds when in hold test. It also buzzes a bit. Is this normal? The game plays fine but I don't want to ruin something if the hold isn't working correctly.

I noticed that each new coil has 2 diodes on them. The old coils are a different story. One has both diodes cut, one has both diods intact and the other has only one diode.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

#2 7 years ago

Looking at a page from the manual, they should each have 2 diodes...

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#3 7 years ago

The hold power usually isn't enough to actually hold the flippers up. If you hold the flipper up manually, and then fire the hold test, the flipper should stay up. The upper flipper probably 'works' because it's vertical, so less force is needed to move it

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

The hold power usually isn't enough to actually hold the flippers up. If you hold the flipper up manually, and then fire the hold test, the flipper should stay up. The upper flipper probably 'works' because it's vertical, so less force is needed to move it

Ahhhhh, that makes sense. I held the lower flippers and started the hold test. They stayed up. Thanks!

#5 7 years ago

Well, there's still a problem. While playing a game just now, I had the ball trapped on the lower right flipper and the upper right flipper died. It was making a buzzing sound like I said in my original post, then it just died. Fuse F118 is blown.

Any ideas??

#6 7 years ago

I'd try a different flipper coil to start.

LTG : )

#7 7 years ago

Too bad you don't have another fliptronics board you could try. Are you sure the upper coil is wired correctly?

#8 7 years ago

I just replaced the fuse and put the original coil back in. The upper flipper works again but is still buzzing when I hold it. I also watched the fuse while holding the flipper and the wire inside the fuse moves so it's under more stress than it should be. It's a 4 amp like the manual calls for.

Now, when i rebuilt the flipper a couple nights ago I accidentally reversed the red and orange wires. I know....stupid mistake, it was super late and I was tired. The game froze up the first time I hit the right flipper button and I immediately turned the game off. Would the reversing of those two wires have caused any damage to the board somehow? And what damage would that be?

Here's a pic of my coil and wires.

IMG_1068 (resized).JPGIMG_1068 (resized).JPG

#9 7 years ago

Well after troubleshooting this some more, I ended up snagging a known good coil out of another game. The flipper works correctly now with no buzzing. Apparently when I reversed those two wires I fried the coil. DOH!! Time to order another coil. Thanks for the help guys.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from Jakers:

Apparently when I reversed those two wires I fried the coil.

You got lucky you didn't take out transistors too.

LTG : )

#11 7 years ago

I am still on the first sentence -

Quoted from Jakers:

I just replaced all 3 flipper coils on my No Good Gofers. ...

Why?

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

I am still on the first sentence -

Why?

The game is new to me and the coils looked pretty old. I like to know my flippers are fresh when I buy a used game and don't know the history on it. Peace of mind I suppose....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Aurora, CO
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lenexa, KS
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, VT
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

4,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/testing-flipper-hold and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.