(Topic ID: 49227)

Testing flipper coils (out of the machine)

By marspinball

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

I have two used orange (FL15411) Williams/Bally flipper coils. I would like to use them in a machine that came with the wrong flipper coils (FL11630 and FL11629). Is there a quick way of checking them out without doing a full install and possibly damaging the machine??

#2 10 years ago

Take the diodes off and ohm them out.

Then you'll know if they are good or not.

LTG : )

#3 10 years ago

make sure they physically can fit the sleeve and whatever goes in them, test resistance with a meter and see if it matches what it should (test other similar coil or google for values)

#4 10 years ago

If you have a bench power supply you can apply voltage to them momentarily and see if they produce a magnetic field.
    Or you could tap power off of your Pin.

#5 10 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Take the diodes off and ohm them out.
    Then you'll know if they are good or not.

Why can't you ohm them out with the diodes. Just swap the meter leads if the reading doesn't make sense.

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Why can't you ohm them out with the diodes. Just swap the meter leads if the reading doesn't make sense.

You probably could. If checking to see if they are bad or good, I just don't like having anything else on the same circuit.

#7 10 years ago

The diode shouldn't change the reading at all if its working properly.

#8 10 years ago

Found the following table for resistance values ;
    FL-11753: used for small flippers, like the "Thing" flipper on Addam's Family. 9.8 ohms/165 ohms. Usually a yellow coil wrapper.
    FL-11722: used for weak flippers, like Twilight Zone's upper right flipper. 6.2 ohms/160 ohms. Usually a green coil wrapper.
    FL-11630: "standard" flipper strength, as used on older games like Earthshaker, Whirlwind, etc. 4.7 ohms/160 ohms. Usually a red coil wrapper.
    FL-15411 : strong flipper, as used for main flippers on Addam's Family, Twilight Zone, etc. 4.2 ohms/145 ohms. Usually an orange coil wrapper.
    FL-11629: strongest Williams flipper. Used on most of the newest WPC games. 4.0 ohms/132 ohms. Usually a blue coil wrapper.

Measured both of my orange coils with diodes intact.
    4.2 ohms/143.2 ohms (Williams coil)
    4.2 ohms/148.3 ohms (generic coil)

I flipped the test leads and got the same result.

I think they're good!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/testing-flipper-coils-out-of-the-machine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.