10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by jerrytoo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

Does anyone have specific ways to test or check an em pinball to make sure everything is working? If I buy one what should I look for tech wise in the game?

#2 10 years ago

Just play it. All players... Pretty straight forward.

#3 10 years ago

How can I check to see if anything has been tampered with?

#4 10 years ago

Open it up an lift up the playfield
    The wiring harnesses are tight , if somebody has messed withe the game you will notice
    Or you will notice extra wires that are plastic coated

#5 10 years ago

Agree with above. You can generally just tell when something isn't factory. The biggest test though will be to play through ALL players and make sure the game starts new games correctly with reset targets and scores.

#6 10 years ago

I suppose if one wanted to really check that *everything* is working, it could be a rather long list. But something like:

- remove the playfield glass
    - make sure the score reels are set to non-zero values on all players (unless it's a woodrail, without score reels)
    - make sure there are zero credits
    - plug in and power on the game. If the game lacks an on/off switch (and many older ones do), then it requires a coin to be dropped in
    - add coins to see if credits are added
    - press the start button to see if the restart sequence begins
    - check that all the score reels correctly reset to zero
    - check that the credit unit decrements one per player
    - check that the first ball is kicked to the plunger
    - if a multi-player game, then press the start button to add all the players; check that the number of players lights light up
    - check all the playfield lights
    - open the backbox and check all the backbox lights (this may be challenging, as some games require the backglass to be removed, others the backbox board can be tipped back).
    - check that all the flippers work, can be held on, have good strength
    - check all rollver and standup targets manually. Make sure all of them register and score the correct number of points
    - check all the pop bumpers, slingshot kickers, and dead bumpers for action and proper scoring
    - check all other playfield scoring features present (drop targets, vari-targets, spinners, discs - whatever can be hit and score points)
    - check that all the score reels are incrementing properly, and that the next score reels advance when the previous rolls over from 9
    - drain the ball
    - check that any bonus points are correctly tallied
    - check that the next ball count correctly increments, or that the next Player advances
    - if a multi-player, check that the scoring is now registering for the correct player
    - drain the ball and repeat for all players
    - tally all the high score values and see that replays are awarded (for replay games), or that extra balls are awarded (for add-a-ball games) (and use this to check that the knocker is working)
    - complete any playfield objectives and see that any Specials are lit; collect the Specials and see that replays are awarded
    - check that the proper chimes or bells are operating, associated with the correct point value
    - drain the ball until past ball 5 for the last player, and see that the game goes to Game Over
    - see that a match light is lit (if lucky, see if a replay is awarded on a match)
    - repeat from the top, but only as far as seeing if Tilt is correctly detected and operates
    - if the game supports a 5-ball or 3-ball setting, repeat draining all the balls on each setting to see if Game Over is detected in both modes (if care)
    - after manually testing everything, then play a few real games and see if the game is operating in a responsive manner (can keep up with all the random scoring, seems snappy, plays fast, etc.)

Hmm, that's all that comes to mind offhand. I'm sure I've missed stuff.

But that's just the functional portion. There's also the cosmetic, and then the subjective "yes, it works, but how *well* does it work" stuff.

Good luck!

#7 10 years ago

Sort of off topic but I accidentally discovered several unknowns, or wondering about, about my game, 4 Player GTB Jungle, by going to YouTube and lucked up and found a great video, by Corey Cooke, playing a game like mine and I could see what works right, how it works, exactly how and what and when lights work, what switches control each if the three chimes which mine were wired wrong and I had to just switch them around a little.

Hence a simple, somewhat boring video, of a game being played has a wealth of knowledge on the little seemingly insignificant, but also important things, about a game that you won't really know until you pay close attention, IE the chimes thing on mine.

Coreys video told me a lot about my game. No Light Box shot but what he has here worked great for me

I'm new here and don't know if this site has such a feature but if there is a sister site, YouTube?, that all perfectly working pins had a good video of the game played through all five balls showing how it is suppose to be,, that would be a godsend for us newbies to refer to before buying a game or even seeing if our old games are in perfect working order after the buy. Even after years of having a game maybe.
    I might have gone years and not know that my chimes were wired wrong, or even thought about it.

So before I buy another game YouTube will be one of my first places top check out.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/testing-em-games and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.