Testing DMD High Voltage

By ThatsaKicker

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Hi guys n gals,

Tried searching pinside but couldn't find any clarification on my query.

Been shifting through info on testing the high voltage on a gottlieb system 3 and I think I'm either reading PinWiki wrong or it contradicts itself?

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_3#Power_Issues

In the section it describes clipping your black lead to a good ground (backbox corner) but not long after it says in order to test the high voltage connector you will need to use pins 4 and 5 for certain pins.

So which is it? Any help appreciated.

Cheers

#2 9 years ago

I think this is a case of where the text is just a little confusing in presentation. Grounds are not all the same. Each ground connection has specific uses, and not paying attention to these requirements can cause noisy operations, system malfunctions, or even destruction of the equipment. There are essentially four types of “grounds” or “returns”: safety grounds, power returns, digital returns, and analog returns. They are making a point to use the best ground reference point for the type of circuit being measured, either the logic ground or the HV circuit ground. I'm no Gottlieb expert, but according to what I am reading in PinWiki, some measurements may be inaccurate or not show up at all if the correct ground reference is not used.

#3 9 years ago

That's all very interesting! Thanks wayout.

So by your understanding, you would use the pins 4 and 5 for the black lead and pretty much ignore what it says about the grounding wires in the backbox.

Can anyone else clarify this?
I'm not going to attempt it quite yet but am nervous when I think I don't know the whole info.

#4 9 years ago

Your welcome. I would use the pins 4 and 5 for the black reference lead, respective of if I was measuring for logic or HV - just when taking voltage measurements on the DMD board (Pin 4 for HV ground, Pin 5 for logic ground)

I would encourage you to take a read about some Gottlieb System 3 grounding issues here if you have not done so already: Section "1h. Getting Started: System3 Ground Issues & Fixes" http://www.beerorkid.com/pin/Gottlieb%20system%203/

1 week later
#5 9 years ago

Hi guys n gals,

Thanks to wayout I successfully tested the hv as I have display issues.
I've pretty much settled that it's more than likely just at the end of life and not a hv problem but wanted to pass a few questions by yourselves.

First off my readings, under load and tested at the display itself are thus;

Pin 1 - -115.8ish (spec -112)
pin 2 - -104.4 (spec -110)
pin 6 - 4.8 (spec 5v)
pin 7 - 11.8 (spec 12v)
pin 8 - +65 (spec +62)

I believe the 5 & 12v are fine but not sure about my high, high voltage readings if someone could advise.
Google came up with peanuts.
(Haven't tested with no load yet mind)

And also my display has the symptoms described in this thread
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/outgassing-display

Where the top lines of text are missing, no matter where the text is. I've read a few threads with similar issues and while replacing the display fixes it, just got me wondering as almost always people suggest it is a driver problem
Thoughts?

Thanks for reading!.

#6 9 years ago

Are you sure you have the correct specs for the DMD? Looks to me like your -104.4 is supposed to be -100, not -110 (thus not too far off). I'm not a Gottlieb expert though.

From http://www.beerorkid.com/pin/Gottlieb%20system%203/

This will allow you to connect a dot matrix display to A8P4 with a ribbon cable. Also a power cable from A8P2 (dot matrix controller) supplying +5,+12,+62,-100,-112 to the dot matrix score display is needed:

A8J2 pin 1 to DMD pin 6 (+5 volts)
A8J2 pin 2,3 to DMD pin 4,5 (ground)
A8J2 pin 4 to DMD pin 7 (+12 volts)
A8J2 pin 5 to DMD pin 8 (+62 volts)
A8J2 pin 7 to DMD pin 1 (-112 volts)
A8J2 pin 8 to DMD pin 2 (-100 volts)

I would also suggest you post a pic here of your DMD for further opinions on if it is outgassed or not.

#7 9 years ago

Hey again wayout,

Bah! It is yes, sorry about that, was away from home using my phone.

Ok will take pics tonight.
In essence my high voltage section is coming up around 3-4v higher.
What's the general thoughts to how much higher/lower before it should be addressed?

Sorry if this is all obvious, cant find specific answers though.

Cheers again!

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from ThatsaKicker:

Hey again wayout,
Bah! It is yes, sorry about that, was away from home using my phone.
Ok will take pics tonight.
In essence my high voltage section is coming up around 3-4v higher.
What's the general thoughts to how much higher/lower before it should be addressed?
Sorry if this is all obvious, cant find specific answers though.
Cheers again!

The -100VDC is likely the "nominal" or average working cathode supply negative voltage. Most Plasma DMDs will have a maximum spec in the datasheets for the cathode supply voltage of the DMD that is more than you might think: On a nominal display requiring -100VDC for the negative voltage, the max spec is probably about -125VDC. I would assume +/- 3-4VDC off of nominal is not anything to be concerned about.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

The -100VDC is likely the "nominal" or average working cathode supply negative voltage. Most Plasma DMDs will have a maximum spec in the datasheets for the cathode supply voltage of the DMD that is more than you might think: On a nominal display requiring -100VDC for the negative voltage, the max spec is probably about -125VDC. I would assume +/- 3-4VDC off of nominal is not anything to be concerned about.

I see. You keep teaching me new things! Never thought to look up a separate datasheet for the display.
Hopefully this info will help someone else out in the future too.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/testing-dmd-high-voltage and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.