2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by zarco
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

Hello All

I have always been under the advisement that in order to accurately test pcb components, at least one leg needs to be removed to eliminate parallel paths that could skew the test.

I’m watching some videos I have noticed that not all do this and test while the components are still fully installed. Hmmm??

Also, doing a testing procedure that requires desoldering and then resoldering can in itself cause issues to even the best of solder techs.

What am I missing here???
    Thank you

George

#3 2 years ago

There is no specific answer - it all depends on the circuit in question and how the component is used. I agree, removing a leg has its risks, so if the component is suspect and cheap, you may as well replace it instead of testing it. Just my opinion, others will chime in.

#4 2 years ago

One of the great things about pinball is that there's usually more than one of each device on the board/ in the game. This makes initial troubleshooting simple. Test the suspect transistor/ diode/ resistor in-circuit, then compare it to it's neighbors. If more than 10% out, replace. Keep in mind that shorted transistors can skew readings on diodes and resistors in the same circuit. Swap out the shorted transistor, then check the rest of the circuit.

Many components absolutely can be tested in-circuit. You generally want to disconnect all the connectors first. Check the pin wiki when in doubt.

#5 2 years ago

The answers you are getting are right on. Sometimes you can, and other times you can’t in place. And when you do test in place, always be aware that your readings can be wonky. Most of the times that will follow logic though. If you are testing a resistor and it reads shorted, either there is another path, or the resistor is shorted. If you are reading nothing across it, or crazy higher than the specs, it’s open. Then just pull it and measure it outside the circuit.

#6 2 years ago

Agree with what has already been said. There are a number of tricks that can
    be used to test parts, like transistors and other thing while still in the board
    but these will usually only find severe failures like shorted transistors, diodes
    or caps.

The more difficult parts to troubleshoot are IC's controlled by the microprocessor.
    There is a useful trick for this. There is a mode the 8 bit uP's used in older
    SS pins has called 'free run' where it continuously toggles through its entire
    address space sequentially. This is perfect for finding address and data lines that
    are shorted together or dead for one reason or another. Also finds problems
    with address decoders ('LS138's) and buffers. All you need to do to get into
    this mode is remove all ROMs. That forces an op code called 'nonop'.
    Of course the uP board needs to be getting the correct voltages and the
    reset circuit must work.
    Steve

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/testing-components-w-o-removing-fr-board and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.