(Topic ID: 154093)

Testing Clay's Clearcoat Brush Method (A Black Rose Resto Saga)

By pinster68

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 193 posts
  • 54 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by desertT1
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
5_(resized).jpg
4_(resized).jpg
3_(resized).jpg
2_(resized).jpg
1_(resized).jpg
4_(resized).jpg
1_(resized).jpg
2_(resized).jpg
3_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
1_(1)_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cfh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#36 8 years ago

I agree I don't think bondo is good on playfields either. Well it might be OK if it's in a non ball wearing spot. But it's just not for any high wear spots because it cracks and chips easily. So I'm with Neo on this, what he uses is good. I don't know who suggested to use bondo on a playfield, but I would really look back at that advice and Pass on that source. Bondo is easy to work with, but I just don't think it's good for high wear areas. Remember bondo's intended usage is purely cosmetic.

#69 8 years ago

Put some in small jars and sell it. you could easily get your money back. Heck i would buy some. Go to Micheals and buy whatever cheap acrylic they have on sale for like 60 cents in plastic bottles. dump out the color, wash the bottle, and fill with your paint. then sell it to us suckers for $5 a bottle!

1 week later
#124 8 years ago

even though 2 part urethane dry from a chemical reaction, when you sand them you take off the top most area which is air exposed. the stuff underneath is always softer until about 48+ hours. At that point it's like sanding a rock though.

Also everyone should note that this game is a diamondplate playfield. meaning brushing on this type of playfield is far less risky than say a lacquer based playfield. Brushing is just going to work better on this type of playfield compared to a lacquer based playfield. That is, on a lacquer based playfield it will be more difficult to get the result shown in this thread on the black rose diamondplate playfield.

#136 8 years ago

lacquer fields are just older and the film thickness of the clear is thinner. so it's just not as smooth of an initial finish, has more wear patterns and holes and marks. This means a brushed on finish won't be as nice as what you saw here with the diamondplate black rose. Doing a DP field is the best of all situations.

I do two part urethane lacquer (pre-DP) playfields all the time. it's works great. but it's just tougher to get the results gotten here with the DP black rose playfield.

#142 8 years ago

i use lacquer thinner to clean my gun. i've never used it to thin urethane though...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hackensack, NJ
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 34.95
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cfh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/testing-clays-clearcoat-brush-method?tu=cfh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.