(Topic ID: 154093)

Testing Clay's Clearcoat Brush Method (A Black Rose Resto Saga)

By pinster68

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 193 posts
  • 54 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by desertT1
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
5_(resized).jpg
4_(resized).jpg
3_(resized).jpg
2_(resized).jpg
1_(resized).jpg
4_(resized).jpg
1_(resized).jpg
2_(resized).jpg
3_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
1_(1)_(resized).jpg
There are 193 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 8 years ago

So this morning was color match day. It's a sunny day in Oakland, NJ. I set up shop just inside my sliders with the morning sun to guide my color-matching unprofessional eyes.

I used myPantone app on my iPhone to get color readings. Far from scientific, but it allowed me to get a gauge how much R,G, and B are in the target colors, and my attempts at a match.

So it appears myPantone saw a close match to the original cream white as this:

BR-Color_-_7_(resized).jpgBR-Color_-_7_(resized).jpg

#52 8 years ago

So I started in with my little mixing cup with about 1/4 white, and added a few drops of yellow...

BR-Color_-_1_(resized).jpgBR-Color_-_1_(resized).jpg

#53 8 years ago

(sorry for all the individual posts. I can't figure out how to comment on individual photos with the revisions to Pinside, so one at a time here...)

So I added a piece of vinyl right to the playfield so my test area can be removed when I'm good and ready. I blow-dried the sample and got this. Too yellow I think. The myPantone app reads my attempt with a close match noted below. So it looks like I have too much Green and Blue. I must use my rudimentary color wheel logic (red and orange counteract blues and greens).

BR-Color_-_4_(resized).jpgBR-Color_-_4_(resized).jpg

BR-Color_-_5_(resized).jpgBR-Color_-_5_(resized).jpg

#54 8 years ago

So now I get to what somebody referred to as adding "whisper farts". Yes, indeed, I whispered and farted for the next hour. I started with a 1/2" toothpick full of red.

BR-Color_-_2_(resized).jpgBR-Color_-_2_(resized).jpg
BR-Color_-_3_(resized).jpgBR-Color_-_3_(resized).jpg

#55 8 years ago

So that was applied to my vinyl patch on the playfield, and yielded this. Hmm ... still not right, but I think I'm getting close...

BR-Color_-_6_(resized).jpgBR-Color_-_6_(resized).jpg

#56 8 years ago

So more whispering and farting, this time with some Createx Pyrol Orange I had (which should counteract the green I think is there, and still comes up on the myPantone app).

BR-Color_-_8_(resized).jpgBR-Color_-_8_(resized).jpg

#57 8 years ago

So here's where I stop. In the pics below I show my first attempt on the left of the vinyl patch (mostly white, a few drops of yellow, a whisper fart or three of red). To the right on the vinyl patch (right next to the target color) is my Pyrole Orange whisper-farted color match. Darn that looks so close.

I almost think I need to add more white back in. Not sure if I should just stop there and roll with it ... as the whole SINK SHIP and Compass are getting airbrushed the same color anyway.

Any color-matching wizards want to chime in with whisper-fart advice on this one I'm all ears!

Until then I'm getting back to fixing my Bondo mess...

BR-Color_-_9_(resized).jpgBR-Color_-_9_(resized).jpg

BR-Color_-_10_(resized).jpgBR-Color_-_10_(resized).jpg

#58 8 years ago

You can also just take the playfield in to the local paint store and as long as you have a ~dime size area of color, they can match it.

Buy the highest quality paint they have, because you will have to thin it to spray it.

-

I do that all the time with cabs. Roll them in on a dolly, match the unfaded paint under the legs, rails or coindoor.

The store keeps the color matches under your name, so a year latter you can ask for "Vid's - SBM Blue" and they mix it right up.

#59 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I do that all the time with cabs. Roll them in on a dolly, match the unfaded paint under the legs, rails or coindoor.

They must've thought you we're crazy the first time you did that, Vid! It's a great idea though. I might steal that idea to get the perfect "Whirlwind Blue" paint color pretty soon.

Every time I'm looking for something specific in a store and the worker says, "What do you need *insert item here* for?" I say, "It's for a pinball machine." Worker always goes, "Oh, well, uh... I don't know if it'll work, uh, for that application, but you can try."

Quoted from pinster68:

I used myPantone app on my iPhone to get color readings. Far from scientific

I bet it's closer than most people think. I used to work with a bunch of artists and graphic designers who valued Apple displays for their accurate color reproduction, especially newer products with retina displays. The gamut and tuning is nearly perfect on the newest displays--far better than the oversaturated colors on Samsung's OLED displays.

#60 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You can also just take the playfield in to the local paint store and as long as you have a ~dime size area of color, they can match it.

Noted, thanks Vid. My local Benjamin Moore minimum is a quart, though I know Lowes and/or Home Cheapo will do smaller quantities. I'll call to make sure they can sample the paint off the pf.

Brian

#61 8 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

My local Benjamin Moore minimum is a quart,

Even a $12 quart is a deal if you figure how much money Createx paint is, and then how much time you have to fool around matching, drying, naphthaing....

#62 8 years ago

NG on Lowes - they won't color analyze paint. Will check with Home Cheapo later today. In the interim I switched to printing out my waterslide decals for my missing POT. I had already worked this out a while back using "What the Font" from a playfield scan to get a dead match on the font. Very cool...

A BOLD POT it is!

WhatTheFont_(resized).jpgWhatTheFont_(resized).jpg

#63 8 years ago

I've used the color matching at Home Despot and had awful results matching my house paint twice. Any this is for a grey color.

First time I painted my house I brought in a shingle. They scanned and mixed. When painting sections you could see the difference. So I pretty much repainted the house.

Then, a few years later I had kept one of the 5 gallon containers back go get more for some touch up and replaced shingles. I figured they could just use the color mixing numbers off the container. Nope, new system does not go by those colors. So they just scanned the color swatch they put on the top of the can from the last time they mixed it. Did not match when dried.

I hope you have better luck.

#64 8 years ago

I'd go to a real paint store, the drones on a work-release program at Homedepot can't spell their own names, let alone care if they match your paint or not.

After the computer analyzes your sample, it gives a score on how closely it matched the color. No one at HD will ever share that score with you, they just go ahead and mix your paint.

A paint store will show you that the color poorly matched (like Bally "hot" orange), rather than just mix it and send you on your way.

#65 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I'd go to a real paint store, the drones on a work-release program at Homedepot can't spell their own names, let alone care if they match your paint or not.
After the computer analyzes your sample, it gives a score on how closely it matched the color. No one at HD will ever share that score with you, they just go ahead and mix your paint.
A paint store will show you that the color poorly matched (like Bally "hot" orange), rather than just mix it and send you on your way.

+1 Take it to an actual paint store. I once took the front of my Zookeeper arcade game to a Sherwin Williams store and told them what I wanted. They kept it and called me when they found a match. They applied a sample directly on it so I could see it dried in context with the original paint to prove it was an exact match.

#66 8 years ago

Looks like I got a winner. My local Benjamin Moore guy matched it within a couple of minutes. Cost a small fortune, but it looks like a better match than I could have done fiddling with whisper-farts of color mixing.

No flash
image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg
flash

#67 8 years ago

As a point of reference for the rest of us, exactly how much did it cost?

Thanks

#68 8 years ago
Quoted from FrostyMug:

As a point of reference for the rest of us, exactly how much did it cost?
Thanks

About $25. I think that's just the Benjamin Moore premium. And by the way he didn't use a fancy paint analyzer, just his fan set of color samples.

That said if anyone needs paint to touch up their BR I'm going to have a lot left over.

I might try thinning it down and tweaking it for wood tones. Looks like a good base for that.

#69 8 years ago

Put some in small jars and sell it. you could easily get your money back. Heck i would buy some. Go to Micheals and buy whatever cheap acrylic they have on sale for like 60 cents in plastic bottles. dump out the color, wash the bottle, and fill with your paint. then sell it to us suckers for $5 a bottle!

#70 8 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

Put some in small jars and sell it. you could easily get your money back. Heck i would buy some. Go to Micheals and buy whatever cheap acrylic they have on sale for like 60 cents in plastic bottles. dump out the color, wash the bottle, and fill with your paint. then sell it to us suckers for $5 a bottle!

Yeah, I guess so. I paid the price for "perfect match" paint for WW, TZ, and FH when I was starting out.

I'd keep it cheap for pinheads. Thanks as always for the guidance Clay.

#71 8 years ago

are you going to airbrush the whole area?

-c

#72 8 years ago
Quoted from CraigC:

are you going to airbrush the whole area?
-c

Since the color match is so good I'm going to start with just hitting the repair areas. If it doesn't blend well I'll go in tighter with the frisket around the letters. I think getting the compass marks crisp could be a challenge, so I'm weighing my options, and taking it slow.

#73 8 years ago

Looks like you are doing a good job on your BR. I also had a hard time matching the cream color on mine. I also did the bondo above the cannon and it has held up pretty good so far.
100_6327_(resized).JPG100_6327_(resized).JPG

I also scanned in the compass and cleaned up the artwork, then printed it on a clear water-slide decal before doing my clear coat.
100_6396_(resized).JPG100_6396_(resized).JPG

For my clear I used a product called Spray Max 2K (it is a 2 part auto clear in a rattle can). You still need to use a respirator with this though.
100_6407_(resized).JPG100_6407_(resized).JPG
100_6409_(resized).JPG100_6409_(resized).JPG

#74 8 years ago

....must not make comment about flipper alignment....must not do it.....arrggghhh....drat.

looks amazing, now align that left flipper!

-c

#75 8 years ago
Quoted from CraigC:

....must not make comment about flipper alignment....must not do it.....arrggghhh....drat.
looks amazing, now align that left flipper!
-c

haha, good catch.....Fixed it long ago.....

This is my wife's machine, can't sell it now.

Corey

#76 8 years ago
Quoted from MarchAFB:

haha, good catch.....Fixed it long ago.....
This is my wife's machine, can't sell it now.
Corey

Nice work Corey. I didn't think to use the waterslide decal ... that's a good possibility. On any wild chance you still have the scan and can forward it to me please IM. Otherwise I need to go buy a hand scanner ... probably could use one anyone - one tool I don't have yet.

Edit: Thank you Corey, received!

#77 8 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

that's all well and good except one major problem. Every playfield is different. 1 out of 10 black roses will match this color. Every game I restore, it seems the colors never match again for the next one. I've restored probably 25 different TAF fields. Out of those 25. 3 of them matched in the green. the rest all had to be custom mixed. I have so many versions of TAF green, I could start my own color pallet. Same with whitewater blue, and funhouse blue. Someone else tried selling premade color kits before, with paint by number like setup for playfields. Found out pretty fast, just because it matches the one you did, doesn't mean it's going to match anyone else. it's a shame, because I could sell premixed sets for nearly 100 playfields if that was the case. :/

#78 8 years ago

Brief update.

So I filed out the Bondo from the compass and replaced with epoxy lumber. Very strong and still feathered nicely.

I masked everything out, and very tight to the letters and key lines ... then gave it a go with the airbrush. Upper area was repaired and given a the same color. It's behind the backboard and barely visible. And it gave me an opportunity to test the paint application. It'll tie together just fine.

Anyhow, first attempt at airbrushing wasn't going well ... little airbrush compressor wasn't up to the job and the Benjamin Moore paint needed serious thinning. Switched to my bigger compressor, 45psi and thinned the paint down - much much better.

A couple observations and lessons learned:

-Definitely need a respirator (I was wearing one). There was quite a haze in the shop when I was done blowing all that out.
-Not covering the upper pf with paper left me with the lightest of overspray ... naptha to the rescue, but won't do that again.
-Watch the airbrush tip for build-up. I had a clump that blew off, fortunately not while I was in the working area. You can see the splatter to the right of the SINK SHIP section.
-Don't put your wife's plant watering can that you're using to clean your airbrush near your feet. Knocked it over, cursed a bit, cleaned it up, then moved on.

Such a rookie. Moving on...

1_(resized).jpg1_(resized).jpg

#79 8 years ago

Keep up the good work.

#80 8 years ago

Put a tarp over that poor Honda.....

#81 8 years ago

So an airbrush question. I laid a few layers of paint by the inserts to fix the wear and make sure the inserts light evenly through the touch-ups. This contrasts with the lighter coat I did elsewhere in regard to sheen (it's glossy in some spots, matte in others). Before I pull the frisket should I lay an even coat so it's glossy, or is it a moot point once I lightly sand and lay the next layer of clear?

1_(1)_(resized).jpg1_(1)_(resized).jpg

#82 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Put a tarp over that poor Honda.....

Noted. And here I thought paint booths weren't needed for airbrushing. Think I'll do this next time on the patio.

#83 8 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

And here I thought paint booths weren't needed for airbrushing.

Get a roll of Painter's Plastic (the .31mill thin stuff house painters use over windows, not the thick plastic you walk on).

Staple it up, throw it away.

#84 8 years ago

Looking good Brian

#85 8 years ago

I don't think the sheen will matter. However, I believe the sheen resulted from varying thicknesses of your layers which may affect how brightly the inserts light up. You might want to rig up some lights to make sure they light evenly before clearing.

Also, I have a booth in my basement I built specifically FOR airbrushing... Okay small models, not playfields. "We're gonna need a bigger booth"

#86 8 years ago
Quoted from polyacanthus:

I don't think the sheen will matter. However, I believe the sheen resulted from varying thicknesses of your layers which may affect how brightly the inserts light up."

That's exactly what I did; shop light under the inserts to even out the cast. Ok, will see what it all looks like when the friskette comes off. It's likely getting the lightest of sanding before the next clear.

#87 8 years ago
Quoted from nitrojcrawf:

We make mistakes, that's how we learn. Good recovery

very true.
thanks
blake

#88 8 years ago

Progress...

Here's the before with wood repair and prep for airbrush
1_(2)_(resized).jpg1_(2)_(resized).jpg

Post airbrushing, friskette removed from the letters.
1_(1)_(resized).jpg1_(1)_(resized).jpg

And the after with all friskette now removed. Awaiting the lightest of sanding to knock the edges down, key lining, and thin wood border fix.
1_(resized).jpg1_(resized).jpg

#89 8 years ago

So I didn't quite get tight enough to the letters. Lit from below we'll be seeing a halo around each. Not terrible.

#90 8 years ago

Was the mask just cut freehand with an xacto knife?

Wondered how the 'just paint it.." Crew handled cutting precisely and without nicking the surface

#91 8 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Was the mask just cut freehand with an xacto knife?
Wondered how the 'just paint it.." Crew handled cutting precisely and without nicking the surface

Yes, freehand... as opposed to?

#92 8 years ago

you have to freehand cut fisket. I don't know any other way you can pull it off.

#93 8 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

Yes, freehand... as opposed to?

stencils.. guides.. and the type of blade used and how to avoid scraping paint, etc

#94 8 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

stencils.. guides.. and the type of blade used and how to avoid scraping paint, etc

I don't know of any guide that's getting around those letters. Otherwise I have some guides for straights and arcs naturally, and/or I've gone with waterslides. Regardless, it was my mistake to leave so much of a buffer around the letters. That buffer was deliberate knowing I had such a good paint match. But ... now it now shows when the inserts are lit. Not what I wanted, but not terrible.

#95 8 years ago

Progress, and nearing the part where I actually go back to clear coating ... All water slides in place and 99% of the touch ups done.

#96 8 years ago

Awesome job. Glad I watched this thread go good, bad and back to good.

#97 8 years ago

Great perseverance !!! Looks great.

#98 8 years ago

Wow, looks awesome! Great work!

#100 8 years ago

Thanks for the enthusiasm gents. I got up early this AM and went to town on touch-ups. Despite saying I was 99% complete it's staggering (although not surprising) all the little things that I found and fixed. Many will never be seen, but it made me feel better. 3 hours in all.

I normally wouldn't try hand drawing a mod on the playfield, but I decided to play with the the top center scoop, painted it to match the backboard art. It's amateur, but I went with it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hackensack, NJ
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 34.95
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 193 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/testing-clays-clearcoat-brush-method/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.