3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by G-P-E
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

cord (resized).JPG
    #1 3 years ago

I'm testing a power supply that is supposed to deliver 5v ac. It is a cord with a household plug on one end and a switch with two leads coming out which will get wired to a little ac motor that it goes with.

Using my Fluke 101 multimeter, I get a reading of 5v with the switch in one position. When the switch is in the other position it reads 120v with a little high voltage indicator on. I sure thought the other position would be OFF.

I think it is supposed to be an on / off switch-- one side of the switch is marked with a -

The back of the switch says 3A / 120vac 125 vl. Also, 303, which I guess is a part number.

Did I get a bad switch? Am I misunderstanding something?

undrdog

#2 3 years ago

Sounds like the one position of the switch simply passes line voltage and the other is providing the reduced voltage for the small ac motor. Honestly I have never heard of such a wiring scenario before. Maybe a picture of what you have would be helpful. To my simple way of thinking theee is no way that switch could provide what you say it is without it being wired specifically to do so. Maybe more information on the load would be helpful.

#3 3 years ago

The cord & switch are pictured. It came with a little "deer motor" - used to run animated deers that folks put in their yards or for running a rock tumbler.

Here is a link to the set:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JQLCMX4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00

cord (resized).JPGcord (resized).JPG
    #4 3 years ago

Looking at the link, the motor is 120 - 127 VAC. So I do not think the switch is going to deliver 5 VAC, i've never heard of that before. The switch is just passing 120 VAC to the motor.

#5 3 years ago

kevmad Now I feel really dumb... why does the multimeter show 5v when the switch is off?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/testing-ac-voltage and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.