(Topic ID: 152917)

Testing a micro switch

By Kkuoppamaki

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

Hi

I have issues with one of the micro switch not registering all the time. If I get continuity over the diode when the switch is triggered, does that mean that the switch itself is functional and the issue is somewhere else (e.g. wire harness)?

What's the best way to test that a switch is working (if switch test can not be used for that)?

Thanks,
    -K

#2 8 years ago

I'm not sure what over the diode means.

One lead on the Com lug on the switch and other lead on the N/O lug on the switch. This should read OL and then read 0 when you close the switch. Then you can test the diode with DMM in diode/continuity. Leads across the diode in one direction and you'll get .5-.7 volts and when reversed you'll get OL.

#3 8 years ago

Which game? It is not uncommon for the Cherry microswitches used in Bally/Williams games to have intermittent contact issues as they get old; there was also a batch of switches during the WPC-95 days that seemed particularly troublesome. How are you actuating the switch? With your finger or a ball?

Keep in mind in the case of rollover switches the switch actuator wire form can be shifted to the side when the ball rolls over it; using your finger to depress the wire form will produce more consistent results for switches that are on the edge of working, either due to internal issues with the switch or with the physical alignment of the switch and actuator wire form.

It's highly unlikely you have an issue with the wire harness, but double-check the connections at the switch to be sure they're in good shape.

#4 8 years ago

I'd replace the switch for a good start. Eliminate flaky switch, or one with flux inside the body mucking things up.

LTG : )™

#5 8 years ago

I ended up replacing the switch and now it works, I guess trying to test if it works with a DMM was not worth the time it took. Thank you all

#6 8 years ago

I had an intermittent out hole in my FT. Switch was fine in switch test. Replaced it. Works all the time now.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/testing-a-micro-switch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.