• 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by undrdog
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Corral 120v relays (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider undrdog.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

I'm trying to test a relay coil. Found a post here about testing coils. It said to hook the coil up to something that's working.

OK, found a pop bumper that's working. Turned off the machine. Jumpered from the black on the pop coil to the black on the relay coil I'm testing. Jumped the color wire lead to the color wire lead.

Activated the pop and blew a fuse.

My original plan before I read about the above, was to jump from the "Start" lug on the transformer (has black wires) to the black wire lug on the coil and from the "regular" lug on the transformer to the other lead on the coil.

Would that have been correct? If not, how do I power up a coil to see if it works?

Thanks!

Mike

PS Thanks to my Pinside Secret Santa who got me those nifty circuit breakers! They are coming in real handy this weekend.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Pop bumper and relay coils run on the same 25 volts so both tests you mention should be fine.

So, why did the fuse blow? I’m trying to learn what I did wrong.

#7 2 years ago

Tried just jumpering the orange-something wire to a pop.

Triggered the pop.

Lots of smoke from the reset bank.

Blew the 115 v line fuse. Somehow, jumping to a pop does not seem like a good idea. Wasn’t touching anything by mistake. Jumped with alligator clip wire

The coil tests at 15 on the multimeter, disconnected.

#9 2 years ago

Gottlieb AG relay coil. I think this machine has the same voltage throughout, once you get past the house current. 1961 Gottlieb Flipper Fair.

P'raps I should have looked at the schematic first…

#11 2 years ago

Thanks. I’m careful- the jumper was clipped in place and all I touched was the pop bumper skirt. I’ll check the schematic.

#12 2 years ago

Per the schematic, the pops and everything else run at 25v, except the lamps which are 6v. So, getting a burned wire on the reset bank just from jumpering from a pop bumper coil to a relay coil indicates something else is really wrong, right?

#13 2 years ago

Got the game working to the point where I could rack up points to see what was and wasn't working. Racked up enough points to score an extra ball. Fuse blew. The problem's got to be either the AAB relay or its coil.

Doesn't seem like the former owner could have wired the coil backwards. A relay coil doesn't matter which way it is wired, does it?

#15 2 years ago

Already have some. But I thought the problem had been solved and put a fuse back in. Go figure...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

$ 2,495.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider undrdog.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/testing-a-coil-or-geeze-what-d-i-do-this-time?tu=undrdog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.