(Topic ID: 57274)

Testing a 2N4401

By BillinIndiana

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BillinIndiana.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

I have some spare 2N4401's I can test with my DMM set to Diode. I've read that the pin outs on these packages are from left to right Emitter Base Collector. That is even printed on the ones on my board.
    So I test the new ones by Pos to Base and Neg to Emitter or Collector and I show the voltage drop on both. I switch the leads to Neg on the Base and Pos on Emitter or Collector and I show Open on both. I show Open Emitter to Collector no matter which way my DMM leads are. So I assume I am doing this correctly ?

Now I try and test them in circuit on the board.. No matter where I test on the board or which 2N4401 I test I show a voltage drop in all configurations of the leads.

What the Heck am I doing wrong?

#3 10 years ago

Thanks, I've scanned through that and didn't see much about these being in circuit and all that. I just don't see how I can get the wrong readings on every 4401 I test?

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

2n4401 i think is red lead on the middle leg, black on each of the outer legs.

The middle leg is the Base and I show a voltage drop to the outer legs. Should I show Open the other way around, with black on Base?

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

With red lead on the middle you should get 600-800ish on both the outer legs.

Using that method I only get .323 on all the 4401's on the whole board and it's always on the right lead from center as I'm facing the 4401 ( Collector ).. I guess if their all the same than I'm good huh..

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BillinIndiana.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/testing-a-2n4401?tu=BillinIndiana and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.