(Topic ID: 220609)

Tested: Modding 'The Getaway' Pinball Machine. (How would you solve?)

By thefunkpunk

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 months ago by Risingjay1
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

This was just posted yesterday:

They attempt to connect a 'real' traffic light to a Getaway traffic light. But, without revealing too much, they run into ac/dc & lamp matrix issues. The solution they come up with is quite involved.

Surely, there is an easier solution using only simple circuitry. How would you implement this?

#2 1 year ago

User ricksgames has done this. He has a real traffic light hooked up to his Getaway. I believe he said he used optocouplers to keep the circuits isolated. Try contacting him for more details.

#3 1 year ago

You need optocouplers to achieve this. Boy, I love Tested videos (mostly one day builds with Adam) but this was hard to watch. Just adding relays into the lamp matrix is not a smart idea.

I think they realized towards the end of the video that they were "too in the weeds" to pull out.

#4 1 year ago

I winced when they hard wired it into the lamp instead of just using the connector

Can't believe they'd go in without even looking at the schematics

2 weeks later
#5 12 months ago

What if the incandescents were replaced with leds in the traffic light? I wonder if the solid state relays would work then.

#6 12 months ago

really easy use led's and photo cells to turn traffic light on and off

#7 12 months ago

Optocouplers are the way to go. I did something similar when I integrated a tachometer into my Getaway. Maybe they could have used caps on the other end of the optos to avoid using a microcontroller, but I like their idea of using the micro to do something different with the lights in attract mode.

If I had it to do over again, I could have saved about 75% of the work by using an Arduino (like they did) instead of using a Basic Stamp. Oh well.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZXypXzuz-W3Nu35rhYS4dh87afp_na9_

#8 12 months ago

Two of the coolest mods in my opinion, stop light and tachometer! Wish the tach was plug and play. No time for making it. Awesome job!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 131.00
Cabinet Parts
Tilted Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside