Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by pinmike
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FD6F78DD-1E99-42A2-A652-419E4DCAED61 (resized).png
    #1 4 years ago

My NBAFB has an issue (would seem to be an WPC95, etc. games though) where anytime a sling switch is activated during game play, the typical test beep is also played. Everything still functions ok, but just annoying on each sling hit. I have done as much troubleshooting as I can, all switches work fine in test mode, went through matrix, checked all diodes, etc. The last test I did was to leave just one sling switch attached to the circuit, but the beep continues. What other direction do I go next?

#2 4 years ago

Ok did you test both slingshot switches diodes with a meter? Did this problem just occur or were you doing some work on the game under the playfield?

#3 4 years ago

yes, diodes are ok via meter. I'm not sure when it started as I have made many improvements to the game, but guessing after I replaced the 2 sling coils and 4 sling switches. I disconnected the coils to ensure no interference issues, and verified all the wiring a couple of times to the switches. That is why I also disconnected all the switches and installed one old switch to eliminate the recent changes causing trouble.

#4 4 years ago

Ok it is possible we’re dealing with a faulty switch(new switches sometimes could be faulty).Tell you what how about putting the game in switch test and activate each one of those switches one at time.This might help narrowing it down to which switch may be causing the problem

#5 4 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion. I have already checked all the switches in test mode, watching the matrix as well to ensure it's only one at a time.

#6 4 years ago

Hmmm,this is really odd I know you probably you will hate me for saying this but what I would do is unsolder those 4 switches and resolder those switches back making sure the wiring is correct and the diodes are solder on in the correct order(banded side is in correct direction).

#7 4 years ago

right, odd indeed. Why I posted for more expert eyes on it. Thank you for the help - no hate at all. I'm happy to put the old switches back, and understand this could be a stable, non-issue environment. But I'm not certain that was the "change" point with the beep. Plus if I have one old switch wired back in, and they others out, then I feel like it's doing the same thing, removing all the new switches as a possible problem point.

#8 4 years ago

Another direction I may go is because the sling switch sound during play mode is two tones, something like "high tone, low tone" or "da-dot", I'm thinking I need to figure out where/how that sound is made. Maybe a tilt sound, as it has a negative vibe to it. And let's say it is the tilt, that would mean the tilt switch is firing, which is what the matrix diagnosis would tell me too....

#9 4 years ago

Play a game and cause a tilt and see if it makes the same sound or look at the switch matrix chart in the manual and see if the tilt switch is in the same row as the slingshots

#10 4 years ago

Well, can't find it. Played a few games (fun diversion), even tried all the switches. I think I have it heard it before, but can't place it. It's a negative 2-beep sound, like when you are not allowed to do something in the game.

#11 4 years ago

I think I'm into the matrix now to test all the switches by hand, even the boards, reading lots online, may get a scope if needed.

#12 4 years ago

ok, I did't find any issues so far in testing all diodes and switches in the row/columns with the slings, but not that surprising as all the research on phantom switches shows another switch involved with random things happening. This case is just beeping, which I can't find a similar beeping in the game.

Perhaps the beeping is normal? Can I ask that someone with a Bally WPC95 game, see if their sling switches made a double beep when activated during game play? I have a limited game set, with a modern stern and an AFM Remake only, so can't test that.

#13 4 years ago

Can you post up a vid?

#14 4 years ago

Two videos:

1) hitting sling switch in test mode, and normal beep heard.

2) ball hitting same sling switch in play mode (coil disconnected to better hear the two beeps).

#15 4 years ago

Hmmm,That's the same sound as when testing a switch or opto in the switch menus

let me see if i can find a fellow pinsider with the same game or look for a vid on youtube

#16 4 years ago

Video #1 is testing a switch in the switch menu. Video #2 is game play with the double beeps of different tones. Same switch. But again, if it's normal for the game, then that is good news... And thanks for helping.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from Kredmore:

Video #1 is testing a switch in the switch menu. Video #2 is game play with the double beeps of different tones. Same switch. But again, if it's normal for the game, then that is good news... And thanks for helping.

ok i found this vid and i listened closely to it and i did not hear any beeps during gameplay.
    Fast forward to 8:04 the ball hits the slings several times

#18 4 years ago

yeah, played that one earlier. He's also hitting the flippers at the same time, so hard to hear. I played two other videos, sometimes you can hear it, sometimes not.

See 0:54 in this one, pretty clear you can hear it:

#19 4 years ago

Yes that’s right I listened very closely wearing headphones and I heard that sound when the slingshots were hit.Could it be when you start a certain mode during gameplay it makes that sound?I pm”ed a couple pinsiders who own this game asking about this issue I’m waiting for a reply back.

#20 4 years ago

Ok I posted and I saw your post also in the NBA thread hopefully we should get a reply back quickly

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nba-fastbreak-fanatics-club

#21 4 years ago

By the way this game looks fun as heck I had a chance a few years ago to pick one up but I decided not.Not a big basketball fan but watching the gameplay it looks great.I wish I would have picked it up

#22 4 years ago

Thanks for all the help. It's certainly possible the sound is made during different modes. Sometimes, when there is other louder stuff happening, I can't tell if it's there or not. Only when it's quieter can I hear it. I'm feeling better that it's looking to be common sound, not just my game. I thought posting in the NBA thread would be an easy test for owners.

It's actually a lot of fun and easy to play with the kids - they are really into basketball. There are times when I want to play Stern Star Wars - hard, fast, very involved game. But NBA is easier, family fun, more enjoyable with a beer. It's not a "top" game overall, but most folks that have played one, have enjoyed it. You get the idea. And I took mine from a below players game condition to 9/10, even swapped in a new playfield.

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from Kredmore:

Thanks for all the help. It's certainly possible the sound is made during different modes. Sometimes, when there is other louder stuff happening, I can't tell if it's there or not. Only when it's quieter can I hear it. I'm feeling better that it's looking to be common sound, not just my game. I thought posting in the NBA thread would be an easy test for owners.
    It's actually a lot of fun and easy to play with the kids - they are really into basketball. There are times when I want to play Stern Star Wars - hard, fast, very involved game. But NBA is easier, family fun, more enjoyable with a beer. It's not a "top" game overall, but most folks that have played one, have enjoyed it. You get the idea. And I took mine from a below players game condition to 9/10, even swapped in a new playfield.

That’s very good and I love a players game and NBA looks like it has all the goods.One of These days I will get my hands on one

#24 4 years ago

yes, hope you do too!

Here's another video of the sounds at 1:13 and 1:14,

You can here it twice pretty clearly. I also slow youtube to playback speed of 0.75 - helps out.

#25 4 years ago

ok, last one. At 2:11, there are multiple sling hits with the tones. Three different examples now, so seems like it's common across the game. I should have started down that path first!

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from Kredmore:

yes, hope you do too!
    Here's another video of the sounds at 1:13 and 1:14,
    You can here it twice pretty clearly. I also slow youtube to playback speed of 0.75 - helps out.

Yes i heard it same exact tone

Quoted from Kredmore:

ok, last one. At 2:11, there are multiple sling hits with the tones. Three different examples now, so seems like it's common across the game. I should have started down that path first!

Yes i do believe it's common in game,it's like a basketball dribble changing the bouncing sound

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinmike:

Yes i do believe it's common in game,it's like a basketball dribble changing the bouncing sound

Good thought. Appreciate you sticking with me to figure this out. And I learned all about the switch matrix in the process.

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from Kredmore:

Good thought. Appreciate you sticking with me to figure this out. And I learned all about the switch matrix in the process.

Your very welcome my friend..Enjoy!!

#29 4 years ago

Pinsider russdx just replied in the fanatics club thread

FD6F78DD-1E99-42A2-A652-419E4DCAED61 (resized).pngFD6F78DD-1E99-42A2-A652-419E4DCAED61 (resized).png
    #30 4 years ago

Hmmm,More interesting post from pinsider(Ralphwiggum) in the fanatics club thread

Qoute "I am running two head to head with the latest rom, and both of them DO make this sound."

#31 4 years ago

yeah, most feedback has been it's just a normal sound in the game. Thank you.

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from Kredmore:

yeah, most feedback has been it's just a normal sound in the game. Thank you.

Your very welcome

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/test-mode-switch-tones-during-game-play and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.