(Topic ID: 206662)

test bench setup for a hobbyist

By Completist

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0B3762B8-094F-467C-A3A5-1C1165A31920 (resized).jpeg
    #1 6 years ago

Looking for suggestions on what one would need to establish a basic setup for testing boards on a bench. I'll soon be starting on a Gorgar project which was known not to boot when i picked it up. I'm interested in learning how to troubleshoot boards in classic bally/sterns, wms sys 3-7 and work my way up to sys 11's since i have quite a few of those now.

So just steal a power supply out of an old pc and tap off 5 and 12 volts? Or is there a better test rig available thats not too expensive? I know i'll only get 6 of 7 flashes on bally/stern boads for example. Have a decent soldering station and have become more confident in pcb work, and a logic probe (still in original packaging lol).

Appreciate any tips!

#2 6 years ago
    Quoted from Completist:

So just steal a power supply out of an old pc and tap off 5 and 12 volts?

And -12 volts so you can test the op amps on the boards.

Quoted from Completist:

and a logic probe (still in original packaging

Open it up and use it on your workings board for learning purposes.

Get a circuit board holder, and a bench light up magnifying lens. And lots of light.

#3 6 years ago

Yes great suggestion - i never seem to have enought light!

What about reference material (book or data-sheet) that shows what each chip does and its pinout? Seems to me this is important to know what to expect when probing. Im sure I can google it but i don't get decent wifi where my bench is lol.

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from Completist:

What about reference material (book or data-sheet) that shows what each chip does and its pinout? Seems to me this is important to know what to expect when probing.

I pretty much grab them on an as-needed basis, then save them in a datasheets folder if I need them again later.

You might want to make sure you have good internet service where you intend to set up shop--it's an invaluable resource for reference materials.

Quoted from Completist:

So just steal a power supply out of an old pc and tap off 5 and 12 volts?

I use a 5v/12v switched power supply.

Quoted from Completist:

Or is there a better test rig available thats not too expensive?

A factory test rig is expensive.

Some people build their own rigs.

There are various diagnostic tools available to help with bench testing boards:

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Pinball_Test_Fixtures#Diagnostic_Tools

If you aren't already familiar with pinwiki, it is a good resource for repair information.

#5 6 years ago

Not sure how in debth you want to go into testing but a portable switch matrix would be a fun project to build.

My most valuable tools on my bench (as far as frequency used):
    - strong light with large mangifying glass on a swing arm.
    - Soldering Station (and desoldering iron)
    - Multimeter
    - Oscilloscope
    - Laptop
    - Molex pin crimper.

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from merccat:

My most valuable tools on my bench (as far as frequency used):
    - strong light with large mangifying glass on a swing arm.
    - Soldering Station (and desoldering iron)
    - Multimeter
    - Oscilloscope
    - Laptop
    - Molex pin crimper.

Looks right to me. (add extension cord, and outlets) I don't think you really need power supplies, and dedicated board testers. That is more for guys fixing boards daily.

Your pin is the board tester. Once you repair or confirm the supplies are working you can troubleshoot the other boards in the pin.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from Completist:

So just steal a power supply out of an old pc and tap off 5 and 12 volts? Or is there a better test rig available thats not too expensive?

I use an old PC power supply with these connectors. I need to make a new label for the System 11 connector. It actually works for System 3-7 also, but the connector number is different on those boards.

Saves the trouble of trying to remember where to connect alligator clips and keep them from shorting anything.

0B3762B8-094F-467C-A3A5-1C1165A31920 (resized).jpeg0B3762B8-094F-467C-A3A5-1C1165A31920 (resized).jpeg

#8 6 years ago

Look at some of the testers offered at pinitech and siegecraft. Used in game or with a test rom these can make it simple to verify if parts of a board are working

#9 6 years ago

I actually found this very handy for adapting an ATX power supply for use as a benchtop power supply.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W0SBUJ0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

I also made up a couple of harness that I use to power up System 3-7 boards, and another for System 11 boards.

1 week later
    #10 6 years ago

Thank you all for the great information and tips. I love the idea of making connectors for the different mpu systems. That’s genius.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/test-bench-setup-for-a-hobbiest and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.