Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Toys.JPG
brain_in_jar.gif
bracket.JPG
ingredients.JPG
Tesseract.jpg
There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

Here is a starter video. It looks way better in person than in the video. When watching the video, look at the tesseract reflection in the playfield. Anyway....take a look. More to come soon!

#2 11 years ago

Crap where do I sign up? I got dibs on #1

#3 11 years ago

That was fast. Nice work!

Cant wait to see the way you rigged it up.

#4 11 years ago

Here is a picture...more details to come.

Tesseract.jpgTesseract.jpg

#5 11 years ago

Yeah, count me in for one

#6 11 years ago

Just put me on the list first please.

#7 11 years ago

Count me in as we'll. Great job on this! Add me to the list as well. Thx.

#8 11 years ago

Chris I approve of you buying this mod so when you sell your game to me the work will already be done. LOL.

#9 11 years ago

Im in.

#10 11 years ago

I would like one also please

#11 11 years ago

Please add me to your list.

#12 11 years ago

I think this is the next tron arcade mod for sure. Bring it!

#13 11 years ago

That looks AWESOME! Does it affect the spin? It's a little hard to tell from the video.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

I think this is the next tron arcade mod for sure. Bring it!

Yeah, this looks like a winner. Amazing what people can do in days that Stern either couldn't or wouldn't do themselves during the entire development cycle.

#15 11 years ago

Put me down for one!

p

#16 11 years ago

I am in as well. Does it affect the spin?

#17 11 years ago

OK....here is the secret recipe.

Golf Ball Display Case (Hobby Lobby $3)
Frosted Glass Spray (Menards or your favorite hardware store $5)
Wax Paper $2
LED Ball with spring switch (Toys R Us Rubber Ball $10)
Bracket (Right Angle Aluminum from Menards and a lot of Dremel work $6)

Note: the rubber ball contains three LED balls submerged in a "liquid". The ball has to be cut open to retrieve the three magic LED balls with motion sensitive spring switch.

I will have some pics tomorrow on the step by step. Tired....going to bed. Good Luck!

ingredients.JPGingredients.JPG bracket.JPGbracket.JPG

#18 11 years ago

Nice.

Easy as that i guess!

#19 11 years ago

It looks like there are many interested in the mod. I only have enough supplies to build a few for now....not sure I am ready to embark on full production just yet. This is just my prototype for now. It seems to work well. It has zero effect on the spin. It works just like the stock tesseract.

If you have suggestions on how to improve, please let me know.

#20 11 years ago

Now that is kitchen innovation at its finest. Im tired too. crap... back to work tomorrow.

#21 11 years ago

Thanks for sharing xfassa! Looks great! Good to see someone sharing a how-to.

#23 11 years ago

Wow looks great! Nice work

#25 11 years ago

Great work. Very clean looking mod.

#26 11 years ago

Looks like he used this method:

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from asnatlas:

Looks like he used this method:

Yes, there are several good videos out there. My wife and I started out at instructables. Fun project!

#28 11 years ago

Does the light get power from a battery?

#29 11 years ago

I definitely want one if you end up making a couple extra.

#30 11 years ago

OK If you commit to making me one I will come off the fence and buy an Avengers. Need the commit first.

#31 11 years ago

I feel another kick ass must have mod on the horizon so who's making it and selling them!

#32 11 years ago

For seven grand you would think that stern would have made the cube light up. It looks nothing like the movies version.

This mod is a must.

#33 11 years ago

It looks good. I wonder if it would look even better if it had light blue translucent paint with the frosted paint on top of that..

Also, is the size of the cube identical to the one that came on the pinball machine?

How long do the batteries last on these light sources? I would think it could last many years in the cube since it would not be activated for long periods of time.

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

For seven grand you would think that stern would have made the cube light up. It looks nothing like the movies version.
This mod is a must.

I am sure that Stern did not want to put anything into the machine that would not have permanent power. There is probably no cheap way to do that with a spinning disk. Wires would just bind up. Maybe brushes like an alternator could have been used? Has anything like that ever been done in a reliable manner on a pinball machine?

The light show and sound effects for the cube are really cool and don't seem simlar to the lamp in TOTAN other than the two mounting posts and the fact that it spins. Also, the position of the cube was put in a position that helps eliminate cheap STDM drains.

#35 11 years ago

Some strong spotlights maybe could have worked with the right kind of material on the cube to reflect it.

#36 11 years ago

very cool, well done and if you do a run of them put me down for one.

#37 11 years ago

Looks sweet!
Now just add some ugly ass metal rivets to the outside and you're golden!

#38 11 years ago
Quoted from xfassa:

LED Ball with spring switch (Toys R Us Rubber Ball $10)

Looked here in Australia and Ebay without any such luck.
Anyone have a link please?

#39 11 years ago

Count me in for one if you plan to do a run and offer them for sale.

#40 11 years ago

Ladies first! :p

#41 11 years ago

OK,I finished up my cube and you do not need to find LED balls with centrifugal switches,any of those toys with a LED ball in it that goes on when you bounce or hit it will work because of the jarring of the cube when hit,also I could not make a bracket,I did try but did not want to put any more time into its creation so I drilled out the two rivits on the orginal bracket and used some sheet metal screws into the new cube,It work great and it very easy to build,also use some locktight on the 2 screws holding the bracket the the post,mine were about to fall out and my game has very little play.

#42 11 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

OK,I finished up my cube and you do not need to find LED balls with centrifugal switches,any of those toys with a LED ball in it that goes on when you bounce or hit it will work because of the jarring of the cube when hit,also I could not make a bracket,I did try but did not want to put any more time into its creation so I drilled out the two rivits on the orginal bracket and used some sheet metal screws into the new cube,It work great and it very easy to build,also use some locktight on the 2 screws holding the bracket the the post,mine were about to fall out and my game has very little play.

What you're using is battery powered, correct?

#43 11 years ago

You guys are on the right track. That cheap thing looks 100 times better then the crap Stern came up with for this game. They really missed the boat with this toy.

#44 11 years ago

Just leave it to the Pinside Pinball Community to come up with a better mousetrap!

brain_in_jar.gifbrain_in_jar.gif

#45 11 years ago

Crap....now I just need an Avengers to go with it! LOL

#46 11 years ago

If you cant find the ball at the toy store, Google "Mondo Light‑Up Mylar Water Ball"

Also, if other LED toy options exist, please share. Thanks!

Finally, I am contemplating the manufacture of this mod. I just need to develop a better fabrication technique for the bracket. My goal is to preserve the original tesseract and bracket (in case you ever want to return your machine back to original). Stay tuned....

#47 11 years ago

Very cool.
I was working a 12v 8 flasher reed switch but this works.
Excellent job.

#48 11 years ago

Great work xfassa

Looks way better than factory one.

#49 11 years ago

I went to Toys r us and searched through the 1 dollar bins and found lot of little rubber toys that had a single led ball inside so i did not have to cut up any water balls,I am using 3 balls in a cube but these are bright so 2 may work and the finished product is quite amazing and makes you want to hit the tesseract cube all the more just for the killer light show,You can even just sand the golf ball display cube with 800 grit and that works great also and save you 8 dollars more on paint

#50 11 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

I went to Toys r us and searched through the 1 dollar bins and found lot of little rubber toys that had a single led ball inside so i did not have to cut up any water balls,I am using 3 balls in a cube but these are bright so 2 may work and the finished product is quite amazing and makes you want to hit the tesseract cube all the more just for the killer light show,You can even just sand the golf ball display cube with 800 grit and that works great also and save you 8 dollars more on paint

Nice!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 48.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 26.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 255.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tesseract-mod-complete and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.