5 months ago

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by jonnyo
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 months ago

I am going to need to replace my roof within another year or 2. Do any of you guys have a Tesla Solar Roof? I'm thinking about going that route.

#2 5 months ago

I don’t think they’re out yet, still in the testing phase. I could be wrong though, haven’t looked into it for quite a while.

#3 5 months ago

Yeah, last I heard only a small handful of houses had them for testing, and it kind of stopped there.

[edit]: Well, looks like there was some news about it just today: https://www.inverse.com/article/55245-tesla-solar-roof-elon-musk-talks-ramp-up

Doesn't sound like they will be available for a good while yet.

Personally, I like the general concept from a cosmetic standpoint, but consider that you can't actually put them at an optimal angle for sunlight, that probably cuts down significantly on efficiency. Plus the cost looks to be a lot higher than comparable solar panels.

#4 5 months ago

There are a small number in the CA bay area. Maybe a dozen or so.

Recent install: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/new-solar-install.146436/

The cost is high. Around 100k all-in.

#5 5 months ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

Recent install: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/new-solar-install.146436/

and that price didn’t include having your house inspected and the roof reconstructed to support the weight of the solar shingles. Most home’s weren’t built to support the weight of the solar shingles so you may have to have construction done to it to support it.

Also, another thing t consider is that the solar shingles work in groups, meaning if one shingle fails you have to replace the whole group.

These were two big issues when I spoke to Solar City (Tesla) bout it.

#6 5 months ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

Ouch! I love the idea of a roof that lasts forever, but I know the solar tech will be obsolete in a matter of years. I wonder how easy it is to upgrade the Tesla solar tiles?

I found a competitor, http://3in1roof.com/ . The website is a little hokey but it looks interesting. The panels can be upgraded at least.

#7 5 months ago

Another Musk vaporware product?

#8 5 months ago
    Quoted from meSz:

and that price didn’t include having your house inspected and the roof reconstructed to support the weight of the solar shingles. Most home’s weren’t built to support the weight of the solar shingles so you may have to have construction done to it to support it.
    Also, another thing t consider is that the solar shingles work in groups, meaning if one shingle fails you have to replace the whole group.
    These were two big issues when I spoke to Solar City (Tesla) bout it.

Standard concrete tiles are 10-12lbs per sf, so I doubt they are heavier than that, which are already used on a lot of homes. The last time I installed those it was $32k with an upgraded warranty of 20 years. The Tesla shingles are stronger than any other roofing material and warrantied for the lifetime of the house, so even if they were $100k, consider that warranty and the fact that an entire roof coverage will be net income per month, which will also offset the cost over time.

#10 5 months ago

Be sure to post your negative balance power bills when you get this going.

#13 5 months ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

The solar panels, not the solar roofing tiles.

my bad as I mistaken the title "Tesla Solar Roof" for the tiles as the panels aren't specific to the roof. Carry on!

#14 5 months ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Another Musk vaporware product?

They deployed 47 MWH (mega-watt-hours) in Q1 '19 versus 73 MWH in the prior quarter and it's down from a high of 93MWH in Q3.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 38.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 2,000.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 140.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 87.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 50.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    The Pinball Vault
    £ 89.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinballToys
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 27.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 218.00
    $ 45.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    $ 7.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 30.00
    Pinball Machine
    Habos Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside