IMG_2900 (resized).JPG
Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 7.04.17?AM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 7.04.26?AM (resized).png
Screenshot_20240131_100420_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
IMG_1679 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1678 (resized).jpeg
giphy-5.gif
Screenshot_20240105_114414_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ryanstl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#467 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Had a Lordstown Motors pickup burn to a crisp around here a month and a half ago. Article just published aboot it:
https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/2021/02/24/all-electric-pickup-battery-fire-michigan-prototype-test/4544909001/[quoted image]

Damn, pay wall on the link, but your pick looks real bad.

#468 3 years ago

I'm seriously debating Cybertruck or Ford Mach E. If gas goes over $3.50 a gallon I'm selling my DD Land Cruiser and I'm serously looking at Mach E. However, I really like the Total Recall look of the Cybertruck. Ford still gets you $7,500 back though.

#475 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Gas is up another 25¢/gallon in the Detroit suburbs today. $2.79 for Regular Unleaded at a "discount" station.

When I bought my Land Cruiser in 2015 gas was hovering around what is is right now. I had a serious debate in my head is selling an '14 Subaru Crosstrek (bought '13) for an '02 Land Cuiser a good move. I needed three rows at the time. This is coming off an era of $4.00 a gallon not that long before.

Since I have had the Land Cruiser, which I avarege 13 mpg, gas has been $2.25 or less. For the last 5 years it has been between $1.55 and 1.85. I use Sam's Club, which saves about $0.25 a gallon. Right now, I belive $3.50 a gallon is my trigger to sell point. The cool thing is I will be able to sell the Land Cruiser for what I bought it for.

I remember in high school in the late 90's when it went from $1.25 to $1.89 people flipped out. Funny thing is that now this spread is just within rounding error now.

1 month later
#483 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinbaltz:

Honestly, that sounds like a bargain. Remember that the “gray” is just unpainted stainless steel. The labor and materials to paint a vehicle is a lot more than $1500.

Not when done on a factory paint line.

#485 2 years ago

I swear my next vehicle will be an EV. I actually like the look of the Cyber Truck, but don't like how Tesla does business and their quality control. Maybe Mach E will be my next purchase.

#487 2 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

Why? "I want to be a futuristic redneck?" That looks terrible and the worst idea I have ever seen. I wonder where the gun rack is located? Let me guess a panel lifts up revealing it by the press of a button.

What's wrong with G racks?

3 months later
#525 2 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

I would love to go with cybertruck but I’m tired of taking my current x into the service center for repairs I mean every couple months something breaks . Same will happen with the truck

They are direct sale from Tesla which doesn't have a dealer network. Their price is the price. The one good thing with not having a dealer network.

#527 2 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

no dealer network... then where do you go to get the bullet proof glass replaced ???
oh I found out from owners of Tesla cars for sale.
Two Teslas in Michigan both needed bodywork, one then had suspension damage went off the road from black ice.
they had to go to an approved center, A Ferrari dealer, in West Bloomfield expen$ive

The broken glass would probably total it out.

2 months later
#541 2 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Still not in production, still not bulletproof
I remember a stainless steel bodied car with this wedge shape the DMC-12.
It was supposed to cost $12,000. Buy time it went into production it was $25,000

The Delorean was only $25K in the 80's. Sounds like a hell of deal considering how cool it is, even with inflation.

2 weeks later
#547 2 years ago

It's been very long since the release. Tesla may not get this out before there are a lot of options.

#557 2 years ago

For those Tesla owners, I'm wondering about insurance. Is it true most insurance copmanies won't insure due to the high cost of replacement parts, so your main option is an expensive policy from Tesla? I'm serously interested in Cyber Truck, but don't want another car payment in the form of insurance.

#559 2 years ago
Quoted from Crumbalimb:

I had no problem getting insurance and it was no increase of cost over a Rav4 for the model 3 .Awesome car and looking forward the a awesome truck.You could call your insurance company and see what they say?

Maybe it was Model X that was really bad for insurance. What I do know is Teslas are very easy to total, so I would think insurance would be high.

#569 2 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Not sure where that info comes from. As far as I’ve heard they’re much less likely to be involved in accidents in general?

It's not liklihood of crash, it's the cost to fix. Tesla has a tight hold on their parts supply, so independent shops like Electrified Garage are very far and few between. Tesla is more into the replace the whole assembly instead of individual parts, which really drives up the cost of repair. The assemblies, such as a battery pack can be 10's of thousands of dollars. Like a plastic collant nipple that really cost $700 to repair at an indpendent shop, but Tesla wanted $16K for a new battery.

https://provscons.com/teslas-body-damage-repair-cost-and-time-is-insane-it-needs-to-be-fixed-reference/

3 months later
#767 2 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

My house has 200 amp service, I would have no problem...
the step kid's does not, in fact his panel has two cheater breakers that has two circuit breakers in the place of one. He would have to do some serious electrical up grades. Or shut the A/C off just to charge your car like that would happen
The route we took was thru the UP stopping at lighthouses, now are a few places to charge them but not back then. except one motel in Escanaba.
BTW the my 2000 Corvette convertible was getting 30 MPG, does Tesla make a convertible? just a promise of a roadster that is $200K
BTW MY Terrian has AWD and that option will cost you another $6K on a model 3 and still not haul a pinball machine. I have averaged 30 MPG since new and thats almost double of my old full size truck... Just Why would I but it other than to "GO GREEN"

So an EV isn't for you or your based on your needs and living situation. They won't be for Everyone. We get it.

I really hope my next vehicle is an EV. I like the idea of the electric F150, but it won't fit in my garage. Maybe charging in the driveway will work. I'll be checking out the Kia/Hyundai options. The rent is just too damn high at Tesla and Rivian.

#829 2 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

When an EV can go 440 miles +/- and can "refill" in 5 minutes and cost the same as my ICE then I will BUY it !
My New car GMC Terrian SLE with AWD. out the door price was $30,250.(including discounts + taxes + title)
FINALLY TESLA now has a service center in Clarkston MI about 22 miles away (GMC dealer is 6 miles from home)
But to pay 3x time to buy a model S so I can carry a pinball machine sorry I don't make that kind of money.
A model 3 with AWD is $46K 50% more and I doubt if a pinball machine will fit in it.
So for me now the Smart money is on ICE. looking at 228,000 miles to be at a break even point.

I hear you can get one of these for cheap. Makes it easy to load/unload pins.

Squat-Hero-2 (resized).jpgSquat-Hero-2 (resized).jpg

#856 2 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

BREAKING NEWS Bob_E is going to buy his two great nieces their first electric car !!!
[quoted image][quoted image]

Man, C4, really? You have to at least get C7's.

#874 2 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

I only have a C5, why should they get a newer Vette than me?

No, that can't happen.

3 months later
#927 1 year ago

Any Cybertruck news? I miss this thread even though we now have the Ih8EVs thread.

#937 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

9,000-ton Giga Press for the Cybertruck’s body.
maybe several months until it is in Austin, then it has to be set up, tooling will have to be tested and adjusted. Stainless steel sheet metal does not press the into formed panels like regular carbon steel alloys.
[quoted image]

Too bad that couldn't have been made in the US.

Yeah, no way it's going to be $40K. Any guesses to what the starting price really will be?

$350K Hummer, WTF. Anyone buying that?

1 week later
#943 1 year ago
Quoted from smokinhos:

Nice looking trapezoid bus to go with the triangle truck. Real possibilities.
A friend of mine and I discussed his $68k tesla purchase vs my $32k ecoboost mustang purchase. (I was commuting at the time, so the GT wasn't a good option). Anyway.. after a lengthy discussion about fuel mileage, charging cost, purchase price, etc.. we calculated a break even at 17 years.
Of course the topic of raping the earth for precious metals and fossil fuel for gas powered cars came up. But then we went down the rabbit hole of where do u get the energy for the electricity.. coal burning plants or nuclear? Or in a world of fantasy he mentioned wind turbines and solar. The verdict is still out. Its really NOT about fuel costs anymore.. let's stop kidding ourselves. It's also not about saving the F'n earth. Its about the perception of both. Does the buyer of a $125k tesla really give a sh about either?

People spend money on cars for different reasons. I don't know which Tesla you speak of, but I know all mustangs (not Mach E) are two door with barely usabe back seats. No Tesla has that limted space, even the cheapest Model 3. Yours is a bad comparison. Your friend most likely enjoys greater accerleration than you with more seating and cargo capacity. However, you car looks a lot better. So many different priorites, and remember, badges also cost money. There is a reason a Taycan costs over $100K, the badge.

#948 1 year ago

The frame is casted? Is that normal. Usually casted metal is frowned on. Isn't machining or stamped prefered?

#955 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Typically trucks have steel frames made from pressings or hydroforming. The old school body on frame method. Most cars today are of unibody construction, the body is also the chassis, the only "frame" part is forward of the firewall for supporting the motor and transmission and is welded to the unibody.
I have a sports care whose chassis is made of Aluminum: extrusions, stamping and castings.

I know about unibody that's been around mainstream since the 80's. I just didn't know they used cast metal for them or maybe that's Tesla only.

Edit to add: maintsream US since the 80's. Foreign cars adopted unibody sooner. I know there are always exceptions too.

#960 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

AMC aka American Motors Started back in 1958 or 59
The 67 Camaro & Firebird were unibody with front sub frame

My old '67 Corvair and Hudson Hornets were unibody. Not sure why we are harping on this. I said frame in the general sense. Term frame damage is still used a lot

1 week later
#966 1 year ago

There is a thriving market for used Tesla battery packs for home use. Usually, why the pack goes bad it's only some cells. Those that can break it apart and replace the bad cells then have a good energy storage for their solar.

1 month later
#969 1 year ago

No Cyber Truck updates? How many years later?

2 weeks later
#977 1 year ago

Seriously, when will Tesla release this for sale? This is so old news there is no excitement whatsoever. $40K promised base price is laughable.

2 months later
#983 1 year ago

I saw 4 new posts and thought shit; it's been released. Nope.

2 weeks later
#991 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Found this out the a brokerage account:
Tesla has taken delivery of a large order of Kuka robots, Electrek reported, citing a bill of lading spotted by a Twitter user going by the handle @greggertruck.
66 Kuka production line robots arrived in Houston on the 18th. The Kuka robots have been used on ALL Tesla production lines, just makes most sense at this time to be in regards to #Cybertruck $tsla Check out below! Incl. example of WHAT Kuka Robots are specifically! pic.twitter.com/3K4uwuSCaR
-- Greg (@greggertruck) December 22, 2022
The 66 robots indicated by the bill may not be a significant number for automotive production lines but it could be one of the several shipments planned, the report said.
So I wonder how many more robots need to be delivered, installed, programmed & tested before any true production begins

Screen Shot 2022-12-26 at 10.29.47 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-12-26 at 10.29.47 PM (resized).png

3 weeks later
#1001 1 year ago

Are they ever going to release this?

2 weeks later
#1007 1 year ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Well after some time with my 2023 Plaid X I can tell you.. I hate it.
I had a 2016 X which was working really well, nothing really wrong with it and was suckered by Tesla to trade it in for a 2023.
Its rough, its bumpy, seats are narrow and uncomfortable and noisy as shit on the highway.
I hate it and have buyers remorse. I really wish I had kept the 2016 or went to the Escalade V instead.
Oh well, live and learn! No more Tesla for me.

Did you post in the EV thread? This Cybertruck one sort of died with no shipments years after announcement.

3 months later
#1063 10 months ago

The glass thing was so stupid. Bulletproof glass, very few would need or want that

3 months later
#1076 6 months ago
Quoted from pinballizfun:

it's almost like they lied with exaggerated low pricing in order to drive deposits and be able to say we have zillions of orders.

No way

#1078 6 months ago

Nice car, but is everyone going to start posting their ICE cars in this thread. I love Trekkie's 'vette thread, but this ain't it.

#1093 6 months ago
Quoted from bob_e:

But there are no Cybertrucks...Well Jay Leno has one of the prototypes which he takes out to dog and pony shows..

Is that real? Never heard that, but Leno is the man, so possible.

#1095 6 months ago
Quoted from gandamack:

My colleague recently purchased the Tesla model X. Since day 1 he cannot park it in the rain because the seal around the rear window leaks and the trunk area becomes a swimming pool.

QC has been a major problem for Tesla.

#1096 6 months ago
Quoted from bob_e:

AND it has jumper cables under the hood... WTF.. and EV that needs jumper cables
[quoted image]

Could you imagine some dude rolling around with jumper cables in their Cyber Truck giving people jumps. Kind of like the guys with trucks helping people get out of snow/ice when they get stuck in storms.

#1099 6 months ago
Quoted from bob_e:

I may be wrong. I saw Jay Leno's Garage show he was driving one with Elon thru some tunnel and on the streets. So the CyberTrash may be owned by tezla and not Jay.

#1105 6 months ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Elon said we are in "uncharted territory" in building the cybertruck. (it was in one of the last couple articles I posted links to.)
So Ford built: 6 1936 Deluxe sedans, 2 1960 Thunderbirds, and3 1967 Lincoln Convertibles.
The Delorian built the DMC12
Somewhere 1832 and 1839 a motorized carriage was built using galvanic cells.
By 1859 batteries that could be recharged came along.
In 1887 Willliam Morrison applied for a patent for a front wheel drive electric car came along 4 horsepower and a range of 50 miles.
Presidential Limousines have bullet proof glass.
So EVs, displaced emission vehicles, are not new. And the use of stainless steel in building bodies is not new either.
So where is this uncharted territory? Today he has all the previous research and results. Far superior computers and machinery to build the cybertruck with a gigawiper to boot.
Elon, build it back better...

The uncharted territory is trying to keep promise of a $40K starting price 4 years late. I say not fucking happening.

Nevermind, not uncharted, that goddamn happens all the time these days. Promise a price, deliver late, and change the terms. Sound familiar in Pinball?

#1116 6 months ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Im never buying a Tesla again after this price drop. Spent 150k on the model X, only for it to be dropped by 50K in just couple months. Will I get any refund back.. no! Ridiculous. It depreciated so fast, and the deceptive way they kept pestering me to trade in ridiculous. Never again, so Im looking at a Hummer instead. Only problem is most dealers want 25k over msrp! Also ridiculous! Might as well get a moped instead.
I tried out this Lyriq, but I felt it was really tight for me, Im 6'2" and 240 lbs, not enough leg room
Might go back to gas and get that Dodge Havoc, that thing looks bad ass.

That hurts. Don't blame you there.

2 weeks later
#1131 5 months ago

Those headlights are something else. I still think the damn thing looks cool. Will they ever start selling them? Kind of like CGC CCrLEs.

#1150 5 months ago

I know I'm a minority, but I think the Cyber Truck looks awesome.

#1156 5 months ago
Quoted from bob_e:

A lot of people liked the Pontiac Aztek but few bought them.
Elon blended the Delorian and an Avalanche and got the cybertruck

Don't think anyone thought the Aztek looked good, but they did have a lot of utility.

2 weeks later
#1182 5 months ago
Quoted from ASAC_Schrader:

Yep. It's a truck. Trucks haul stuff. Trucks tow stuff.
These silly EV "Trucks" can't do that. Real world stuff, not pretend "trucks"
I will take my F-250 with it's gas guzzling 7.3L v8 that can tow 18k lbs for 300 miles on a "charge" and "recharge" in minutes.

Pretty clear EV trucks don't match your use case. Doesn't mean they don't work for others. We have a F-150 Lightening at work that I've been rotating to different managers and everyone so far loves it. We've run power tools like an electric concrete mixer from it. Everyone loves how smooth and quick the power delivery is. The only towing we do is light stuff like crackseal pots. We have big trucks for our equipment floats that are of course deisel powered.

#1198 5 months ago

No, but can charge in 10 seconds over night. Come on man; this has been covered so much.

#1199 5 months ago

I like this thread when it's mostly Cyber Truck related. Save the tired arguments for the other EV thread. It's always the fucking same from both sides though.

#1208 5 months ago
Quoted from ASAC_Schrader:

Thats such a silly argument. I have no problem with charging a EV overnight.
It's road trips that become nearly impossible.
BUT as a counter argument to why do I need a vehicle to do 100% of what I need? WHY would I buy a vehicle that can't do everything I need? EV's can't do everything anyone needs except maybe the grandma who only drive to church once a week. She would be ok with a EV
Look. I know the future of transportation is probably not oil. BUT we need better technology. All you early adopters are helping by giving these manufactures money to invest in better technologies. I for you thank you for your donation to the future. ICE for me till ya'll figure it out

#1212 5 months ago

That was an epic interview by Joe.

4 weeks later
#1221 4 months ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I’m just saying, we can move onto the next goalpost now. Ugly is a perfectly good next choice.
Debate!

I think it looks awesome.

#1228 4 months ago

I can imagine steel will expand in the heat more than 10 micron. Just another stupid, not thought out claim. Can't wait to see these on the road though, with normal panel gaps, not the sloppy ass ones they were doing.

#1243 3 months ago
Quoted from jchristian11:

I don't have 8 kids for soccer and am applying the type of vehicle to what I need, not what you or anyone else need. As for being rude, that came from you.

I've been in a scheming mood tonight trying to workout a way to get a free Stern. So, to solve your not having 8 kids problem. Get the Van and then drive around with candy and boom, you can collect kids easy. If that doesn't work, put some magnetic ice cream stickers on the side and play that inticing music.

#1281 3 months ago

Is this still $40K?

1 week later
#1312 3 months ago

I saw one on the YouTube channel called Effspot. Gordan lives near Beverly Hills and does car spotting. If I recall the one he spotted was chasis 4 or some really low number. Panel gaps looked fine. Gordan did say the production version is smaller than the concept. I think it looked awesome. I have to see one in person though, to fully judge.

#1314 3 months ago

I watched the Jason Cammisa video. I used to love his videos before Motor Trend put all their good videos behind a paywall. It was kind of a weird video that either A) he was well paid by Tesla or B) really, really liked the Cyber Truck. I didn't know about the 48V thing before watching so was worth it to learn about that.

1 week later
#1330 3 months ago
Quoted from cconway84:

My reservation is ready to configure. Estimated delivery date Jan-Mar if I pull the trigger on a long range founders.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Congrats, you are getting closer to being able to start an owner's club! Has to ship first.

1 week later
#1364 88 days ago
Quoted from bob_e:

You can what happens to a 3200 pound car vs 3.4 Ton truck

What's your point?

#1366 88 days ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

yeah this is local.I see it on the local news.We had some rain and the roads were California wet so that might have added to the accident.

His question was pure pyhsics and easy to answer, but why ask the question? A bad camry driver runs into a sami-truck, same thing. Don't get the point.

#1382 84 days ago
Quoted from bob_e:

A new 2024 Corvette bases at $70,000 0-60 in 2.78 but call it 2.8 (you get the $4K price increase over the 2023))
https://www.chevrolet.com/performance/corvette/build-and-price/config
Best tezla 3 0-60I can find, by auto magazines: MOTOR TREND, ROAD and TRACK, CAR and DRIVER, 3.1 and 3.2 seconds
I was on my phone so I couldn't get price on it so SHOW ME what brand new tezla, provide link, will do better for $35K
And should we take a poll on what car you want to be seen in?

You are actually bragging that a sport car that cost twice a family sedan can do 0-60 by three or four tenths of a second faster is fucking hilarious. Are we on the same planet?

#1384 84 days ago

bob_e, bob_e, bob_e, come on man. Don't know why I didn't put this together earlier, but based on your handle I believe you are a closet EV lover. You have "e" at the end of your handle. Coincidence?

#1393 82 days ago
Quoted from bob_e:

these Musketeers are so mean...they attack my name (e is the initial from my last name), my quoted new sources as being old, but never the facts. Nor do they answer the questions put to them.
BTW 1985 called they want their design back.

giphy-5.gifgiphy-5.gif

#1405 79 days ago

I don't get why bob_e is so passionate about this. Seems like so much energy spent trying to convince people not to buy something. His posts remind me a certain person that talks constantly about JJP code and rattles off TS4 features every other post.

#1408 78 days ago
Quoted from Cmartin1235:

Has anyone addressed the important issue here? How many pins fit in the back?

I heard you close the top, hit a setting, open it back up and it pops one out like a pez.

#1416 77 days ago
Quoted from Cmartin1235:

According to the service staff, not even they are allowed in the truck. Another customer told me that the truck was being shipped around different dealerships to draw people in, to get them to look at surplus inventory of other models.

Lame on them.

1 week later
#1428 70 days ago
Quoted from bob_e:

What do the Musketeers have to say about the U-tube video on how poorly the Cybertrush do in its road test getting 20% less range than expected?
Note it was about 40 degrees in Texas. How well will it do in Chicago with sub zero tempertures over night.

Hopefully better than my work Ford Escape that wouldn't start yesterday due to not enought battery juice.

1 week later
#1453 57 days ago
Quoted from bob_e:

And how cold was it? And how old is the battery? and you parked it outside, no?

Very cold and not that old. Point is everyone knows the cold affects batteries. You have nothing new.

#1454 57 days ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

I have heard if they find out somehow they will ban you from buying any more teslas. its around the tesla forums somewhere.

I understand to an extent Ford doing with the GT and Porsche with 918, but doing it on a regular production car makes no sense. Is it the one edition only like Stern SLE?

2 weeks later
#1471 39 days ago
Quoted from bob_e:

The Cybertrash brings new inovations...

Which one would I want? Hmm....this is really hard.

1 week later
#1480 29 days ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Keep debating if I should sell the Hummer and get this instead. Tesla does have good network and tech.

IMO, just have fun with the Hummer. How long have you had it?

#1483 29 days ago

Those are the tiniest rope stands I have seen.

1 week later
#1487 18 days ago
Quoted from SDVmnt:

Heh, guess it is handgun proof.

I watched that video and that dude has no charisma. Let's say I didn't subscribe and have any need to watch any other of his videos.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ryanstl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tesla-cybertruck?tu=ryanstl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.