IMG_2898 (resized).JPG
IMG_2900 (resized).JPG
Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 7.04.17?AM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 7.04.26?AM (resized).png
Screenshot_20240131_100420_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
IMG_1679 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1678 (resized).jpeg
giphy-5.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrbally.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#117 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

As an American car company that a lot of people used to crap on, AMC isn't looking so bad now.[quoted image]

We can thank Mitt Romney's dad for AMC and the predecessor Company Nash-Kelvinator.

#175 4 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

This is actually pretty much what Tesla interiors look like. I have a Model 3, same interior but smaller (5 seats) and smaller screen.
Once you get used to it which took me about 48 hours, it feels insane going back to a "normal" car.

I drive the Model 3 we have as a pool car at my job (dual motor) every few weeks. While it has insane acceleration, I have no issue going back to my Audi.

I have also had two incidents where the electronics completely shut down (But engine kept running and both pedals worked properly) for 20-30 seconds. Then the display slowly rebooted and the climate control came back to life. Both times were during the day. Not sure how the exterior lighting would have reacted if it would have happened at night.

It does not work well for long trips. Recently, a co-worker became stranded for six hours as the vehicle led him to a Supercharger that was still under construction and he did not have enough power to get to the next or back to the prior one. He had to use the 115v cord at a fire station for those six hours.

#191 4 years ago
Quoted from AndHart120:

So are you trying to say it doesn’t work well for road trips because of this one thing that happened? One incident = Deemed bad for all long trips? Damn if I had one thing go wrong with something and said it was bad I would think everything is bad by now! Especially pinball! Lol

Yes.

#225 4 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

Yeah, I know it's scary tech to you because of the other thread. However, I have never, ever hear of anyone being routed to a supercharger under construction because you get live updates of how many are working and filled.
My 3 has been on two major road trips. I was really surprised to find out how much easier it was than gas. Longest charging stop was ten minutes.
And the resets, it happens super rarely but the car keeps working as it. If a reboot caused the car to literally stop in the middle of the freeway, it wouldn't be a thing.
You find it easy to go back to another car because you don't drive it much, and I'm betting a lot of the benefits that I became so used to so quickly aren't utilized the same way.
And all that's fine. It's not for you. But that doesn't mean it doesn't have a market.

Well. you heard it now. Again, it happened to a co-worker. A Millennial who is quite tech-savvy and open to new stuff like electric vehicles. He was not at all pleased.

As for the rebooting, has it ever happened to you? If so, was it at night? I'm curious as I want to know if the headlights stay on or do they die like the climate control, audio system and display? I was told by our fleet manager to "not worry about it" when I reported it. We have no service center nearby but at least one has opened only sixty miles away in Toledo now. Before it had to be taken to Cleveland.

It's not scary tech to me. However, their vehicles do not meet my personal transportation needs at this time. Remember, I sell stuff to Tesla so it's in my best interests that they succeed.

#236 4 years ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

You'd want to avoid gas cars if you are worried about being stranded as they have thousands of more parts that can and do fail, like the alternator dying on my Dodge Magnum SRT8 for example.
Likewise you'd want to avoid gas cars as their infotainment systems also have issues, difference being for example when the one in my Camaro freaked out I couldn't reboot it on the fly like you can in a Tesla. Instead I had to pull off the highway, shut off the car, exit the car, get back in, restart the car and then in worked again so I can complete business on the phone.
Likewise with gas cars you are mostly stuck with what you get as they don't update themselves, whereas my Tesla auto updated to fix the issue which also includes free map updates by the way, something that Chevy is still happy to charge me for in 2019 which is comical. Oh and I got more horsepower in the update
Finally, electric cars are better for long drives for me because of auto pilot. I now do longer drives whereas I used to avoid them because now I can kick in auto pilot on the highway and the car takes me there, it's glorious. Superchargers are everywhere so we grab a bite and my phone tells me when the car is charged and off we go. Media that are in the pocket of short sellers or oil investors will tell you it takes hours to charge but they lie, it does't take anywhere near that long. Oh and I got 1000 free charging miles with my car purchase, so all my charging on trips has been free so far. Tesla's are the perfect road trip car for us.

My wife actually did say it reminder her of a Countach with all the angles.

It's definitely a different market which I'm guessing is why they went radical. Ultimately though the only people that matter are those that actually spend money on new cars. I've said this on car forums in the past when purists scream and complain, where I've said purists don't matter because they don't by new cars so they don't contribute to a car companies bottom line. Hence when purists screamed that the new at the time Porsche suv looked like garbage and was a stupid idea I said y'all don't matter, you don't spend money on new cars, people that actually spend money on cars will decide if it's the right car and it went on to be their best seller. Likewise here, always lots of haters that never buy new cars will say stuff sucks but what they think is irrelevant. It's like listening to what a vegan thinks about a new steak house. Instead we'll have to wait and see what people that do spend money decide do to. So far with 146k+ orders it seems like it'll do well. Plus we have to remember Tesla is still mostly illegal to sell in the USA, only a few states allow people to buy them, foreign markets though are much more open to the company so that will be the big money going forward, I wonder how this will do in those markets.

Yeah we love our Tesla's! We chart our car expenditures for various business reasons, and we calculated they save us around $6300 in gas yearly. No more gas anxiety as well, always drove me nuts when I'd have to run to a shoot or quick meetup and the car was low on gas then I'd have to waste time going to fill up, no more fumes in the garage, etc, no looking back. I don't know if I'd get this truck as I really don't have a use for a truck, but it looks unique enough that it is tempting. Plus I find it fun to smoke exotic cars in my little Model 3 in the real world since paper performance stats on gas cars are mostly fiction, it would be even more fun to do it in a truck that looks like this lol.

I've done OK with gasoline powered cars. I've put on over a million miles on personal cars since I started driving. Not to mention company fleet as well as rental car miles. I was stranded once by a rental that would not restart at a gas station. Ironically, not buying fuel, I just left the Madison airport and stopped to load up on junk food near Stoughton, Wisconsin. I called the rental office and they brought a replacement car to me within an hour.

I ran out of gas twice in my life. Both when I was under 18 years old so it was the old footmobile to a gas station to buy a can and a gallon of gas. Learned a valuable lesson there. .

I've limped cars home when problems occurred and never once had to arrange alternate transportation.

As far as updates go, I buy new vehicles when I want a real update. Tesla may start to worry that those "included" updates may affect their bottom line if it stops Tesla purists from buying their new vehicles. Or, maybe they can "pull an Apple" and send an update that makes the current vehicle seem antiquated or something along those lines.

When you mention: "and we calculated they save us around $6300 in gas yearly." Who is "we"? My wife and I spend less than half that amount on gas per year. Heck, she just paid $2.229 for gas today. When my kids lived at home and later were attending college, they may have spent a grand a year apiece so maybe $5k total on gasoline. Are you deducting electricity costs or is it all free?

I'm in the market for another vehicle, but not in a super hurry. I looked at a Model 3 but it doesn't work for me. Maybe in 10-15 years.

#237 4 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Soylent Green Energy

What is Soylent Green?

#239 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

Coal use for power is in the decline. We are slowly going greener.

In the late 1970's Arizona Public Service Company (Now parent Pinnacle West Capital Corporation) claimed that by 1990, 20% of their power would come from Solar systems. They abandoned that (ironically) by 1984.

#244 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Awesome, I hope All manufacturer’s advance forward for environment, safety, and reliability. Love our Ford Flex but not the most reliable or cost effective vehicle we ever owned.

I'm amazed that the Far East manufacturers don't seem to be doing much with total electric vehicles. They are cashing in on Ford & GM's passenger car abandonment plans.

#249 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Ford has some good stuff coming real soon.

Saw a Mustang Mach-E parked in a grocery store lot yesterday.

20191123_145137_1574559508523_001 (resized).jpg20191123_145137_1574559508523_001 (resized).jpg20191123_145144_1574559508612_001 (resized).jpg20191123_145144_1574559508612_001 (resized).jpg
#262 4 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Is that a self destruct button on the dash?

That's the full power kill switch. Just in case something unforeseen happens during the test phase this vehicle is obviously participating in.

#263 4 years ago

That's fine, I'm certainly not saying their cars are for everyone. But your comment of them being bad for long trips is silly. Also as someone else likely mentioned, you can reboot a Tesla at anytime even while driving, it doesn't affect safety. I'm guessing people are thinking the lights don't work or the car will crash because of some false article put out by old media, but whatever it's almost impossible to fight the fud out there.

Reread my post below. While driving on I-275 near Detroit near a major junction of three freeways, the electronics completely shut down, except for the "engines" and brakes. I was about to use my turn signal as I needed to get over two lanes to enter a different highway in a mile (1.62Km). No turn signals. In an instant, the display went dark. Music shut off, climate control shut down. I could not safely operate the vehicle to exit to where I needed to go. I did not know this was a reboot when it happened the first time.

Those 20-30 seconds before the display just started to show the Tesla logo seemed like forever on a crowded highway that was still moving at 60-70 MPH (100-115KPH). This is why I asked if the headlights will stay on or not as I would not want to be driving at night in that situation.

When my "old school" ICE car has a major failure, I usually get an idiot light or more. I kinda like it when the dash board looks like a pinball machine where both the Specials and Extra Ball lights come on along with other feature lights lighting up. At least I know the car is somewhat alive. I was not about to pull the driver card out of my pocket and hold it by the console to attempt to "restart" the car. At least when it happened again a couple weeks later, I just kept my cool. I believe if this happens to more than a few vehicles in somewhat of a pattern, there could be a service campaign or worse to correct this.

Quoted from MrBally:

I drive the Model 3 we have as a pool car at my job (dual motor) every few weeks. While it has insane acceleration, I have no issue going back to my Audi.
I have also had two incidents where the electronics completely shut down (But engine kept running and both pedals worked properly) for 20-30 seconds. Then the display slowly rebooted and the climate control came back to life. Both times were during the day. Not sure how the exterior lighting would have reacted if it would have happened at night.
It does not work well for long trips. Recently, a co-worker became stranded for six hours as the vehicle led him to a Supercharger that was still under construction and he did not have enough power to get to the next or back to the prior one. He had to use the 115v cord at a fire station for those six hours.

#340 4 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

You appear to be confusing the entertainment and display system with the actual computer running the car. They are not connected and run completely independently. Tesla needs a better job explaining this to people. The car is still 100% functional when the screen goes down. All driving functions including the signal lights still work you just don't hear the tick tock through the stereo. I reboot mine on the go all the time, its completely safe.

I had no idea that the turn signals were working and I needed to change lanes in heavy, but still moving fast Detroit style traffic. Since I did not know the turn signal was working, I stayed in my lane and went a couple of miles out of my way and turned around. By that time the computer rebooted and the car was normal again.

When the display went blank on me a few weeks later, I was just driving straight minding my own business so it rebooted and I drove on without a problem.

#341 4 years ago

We're wasting our time here. They have already decided that the cars are unsafe, that they apparently go right to landfill after being sold rather than to another driver, and that no parts will ever be available. Time to move on.

If I thought it was unsafe, I wouldn't have got in it again as I could have taken a loaded Silverado or a nice F-250 or Charger SRT or one of a few other pool cars. I take the Model 3 when I can as it has unbelievable acceleration.

#384 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It might be similar to the showdown in Crush, Texas. lol.
That Saturn V would rip his puny rocket apart.

I worked for the Company that developed and built the Saturn V. And the Space Shuttle. And the B-1 Bomber.

I love those monthly pension checks from there.

#390 4 years ago

Rest in Peace Sam Iacobellis.....

#394 4 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving from Elon.......

863y fc 4 (resized).jpg863y fc 4 (resized).jpg
#403 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Fox was a conservative network way before there was a President Trump.Would you not agree that ABC,CBS,NBC,PBS,CNN and MSNBC are strongly a liberal viewpoint?

Sam Kinison said it best: CBS stands for: Coc---cking Bastard Sonsabit--es.....

1 year later
#464 3 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

How rough is it going to be for you Detroit snobs... to get a Truck made in Austin?
Asking for a freind...
I'm not in on this race; I'm kinda waiting to see what the finished product looks like/has... then and only then will I add myself to the end of line.

Easy for me. I'm moving to the desert Southwest soon.

1 week later
#466 3 years ago

Had a Lordstown Motors pickup burn to a crisp around here a month and a half ago. Article just published aboot it:

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/2021/02/24/all-electric-pickup-battery-fire-michigan-prototype-test/4544909001/

d3e1b7d1-6d81-4481-8a80-433ee48a7ab2-Endurance_fire_four (resized).jpgd3e1b7d1-6d81-4481-8a80-433ee48a7ab2-Endurance_fire_four (resized).jpg
#471 3 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

Damn, pay wall on the link, but your pick looks real bad.

Here's the text and a few more pics:

All-electric pickup catches fire in Michigan — and experts warn it could happen again
Jamie L. LaReau
Detroit Free Press

In the early morning hours of Jan. 13, one of the first all-electric pickups to hit Michigan roads was engulfed in an inferno.

The flames reached high enough to lick the branches of overhead trees along the four-lane highway's median on eastbound 12 Mile, just east of Haggerty Road, in Farmington Hills.

The vehicle's driver, an engineer for electric truck maker Lordstown Motors, and two of his colleagues escaped unharmed from the Endurance pickup prototype they'd been testing, according to a fire report obtained by the Free Press. No other vehicles or people were involved.

On Jan. 13, this prototype "mule" of the Lordstown Motors Endurance pickup caught fire along 12 Mile Road in Farmington Hills just minutes into a test drive.
Lordstown Motors, headquartered in northeast Ohio, has unraveled this mysterious midnight fire and spoke to the Free Press about the cause and the fix.

“We’re confident" this won't happen again, said Ryan Hallett, spokesman for Lordstown Motors. "It was human error."

But EV experts warn it could happen again to Lordstown Motors or to any of the automakers for five EV pickups headed to market in the next 15 months, an unnerving prediction considering there have been several EV recalls over the past few months for fire risk.

To be clear, EVs are by and large safe, experts say. But startups such as Lordstown Motors, Rivian and even Tesla could face a bigger challenge than the legacy carmakers because the newer companies lack the decades of engineering safety experience, experts say.

“If they get to the point where they are putting out production vehicles that have the same problem, they will not exist,” said Sam Jaffe, managing director at Cairn Era, an electric battery consulting firm in Boulder, Colorado. “A car company does not have a cushion to exist if they have an unsafe vehicle. They have to solve it. They don’t have a choice.”

Mechanical issues, melted hood
Lordstown Motors started building its first beta prototypes of the Endurance in its plant in Ohio on Monday, after the January fire that destroyed an earlier prototype known as a "mule." The beta vehicles will be crash tested ahead of the 3,000 production models that Lordstown Motors plans to put on U.S. roads by year-end.

The vehicle that burned in metro Detroit was hand-built. It's called a "mule" because it's an early prototype that uses a donor body with Endurance components inside it to test those components. Lordstown Motors' Hallett said there was "human error" in hand-building the mule that led to this fire but he declined to elaborate.

Engineers took the mule out for a test drive on public roads a little after midnight on Jan. 13. By 12:29 a.m., Farmington Hills police and firefighters were sent to 12 Mile near Copper Creek Lane, where the vehicle was engulfed in flames, the grass around it was aflame and tree branches burned above it, the report said.

The charred interior remains of a massive vehicle fire on Jan. 13. This prototype "mule" of the Lordstown Motors Endurance pickup caught fire along 12 Mile Road in Farmington Hills just minutes into a test drive.
"The vehicle was electric and magnesium was noted from water reaction below the rear seats in the passenger compartment," the report stated. "Hood was completely melted upon arrival and doors were open."

The wind chill that night made it feel like 22 degrees as the three Lordstown Motors engineers stood nearby. They told fire officials they had been test driving the vehicle when it began to have mechanical issues. The driver pulled to the side of the road, "he then noticed the vehicle was on fire," the report said.

On Jan. 13, this prototype "mule" of the Lordstown Motors Endurance pickup caught fire along 12 Mile Road in Farmington Hills just minutes into a test drive.
The engineers had made it only a mile-and-a-third from Lordstown Motors Research and Development Center in Farmington Hills, where they work alongside some 130 others.

'It's an emerging technology'
Firefighters cleared the scene by 1:45 a.m., said Jason Baloga, fire marshal for the Farmington Hills Fire Department. He wasn't at the fire scene, but he reviewed the report. In an interview with the Free Press, he said the vehicle was so ravaged that he could not speculate what caused it, adding, “with a complete burn it would take significant laboratory analysis as to what caused it.”

Get the Coronavirus Watch newsletter in your inbox.
Updates on how the coronavirus is affecting your community and the nation

Delivery: Varies
[email protected]
Your Email
The fire department did perform a “cursory inspection” of the Lordstown Motors’ facility in Farmington Hills the day after the fire to ensure it met the city’s safety standards, which it did, Baloga said.

Whatever the cause, the origin of the fire was in the "engine area, running gear, wheel area," said Jason Olszewski, deputy chief for City of Farmington Hills Fire Department, in an email to the Free Press.

The fire department released the vehicle to Lordstown Motors, "as to not spoliate any evidence and afford the owner the opportunity to examine the vehicle," Olszewski wrote. Also, giving the vehicle back to the company protects the automaker's proprietary information, Baloga said.

Baloga said firefighters have been training and preparing to fight fires involving lithium ion batteries used in EVs for some time now.

“I am not necessarily concerned (about EV fire risk) as long as there’s appropriate regulation,” Baloga said. “It is a hazard that we’re aware of and try to prepare for. It’s an emerging technology that we have to gain more information on the storage of lithium Ion batteries and code developments around EVs.”

Human error
Lordstown Motors CEO Steve Burns chalks up the fire's cause to human error in the hand-building of the mule prototype, he said through his spokesman Hallett. Hallett did not provide how many mules engineers hand-built at the Farmington Hills research center, but he said typically it's not many.

The charred interior of a prototype "mule" of the Lordstown Motors Endurance pickup that caught fire along 12 Mile Road in Farmington Hills on Jan. 13 just minutes into a test drive.
"There was an error in the building process that caused something to lead to that fire," Hallett said. "It wasn’t like the battery exploded, but something went wrong in the hand-build process that led to what caused the fire to start and we’re not going to comment beyond that."

Once Lordstown Motors started building the beta prototypes on Monday, everything is automated and automation helps to correct human error, Hallett said.

"We made sure the error wasn’t replicated so it wouldn’t happen again," Hallett said. "We’ve entered the phase where humans are removed from it."

Flaws happen
There are a variety of ways that human error could cause an electric pickup to burst into flames, said Sam Abuelsamid, principal analyst for E-Mobility at Guidehouse Insights in Detroit.

"Someone either mishandled one or more battery cells and caused it to have an internal short or when they were welding the terminals on the cells, something went wrong," Abuelsamid said.

Every battery cell has a positive and negative terminal just like the regular batteries that you pop in your flashlight. But there are several hundred cells and engineers connect them in a sequence to get the power level needed to propel the car. They weld those terminals to the wiring that connects everything together, Abuelsamid said.

Sam Abuelsamid, principal analyst for E-Mobility at Guidehouse Insights in Detroit.
“What most likely happened here, when they were welding the terminals of the cells in the battery pack, there was a process error that caused some contamination in the cells that led to a short circuit and that caused the fire in this case," Abuelsamid speculated, adding, "This wouldn’t be the first time recently that something like this happened."

In October 2020, Ford Motor Co. recalled 20,500 Kuga plug-in electric vehicles in Europe and suspended their sale over concerns with the high voltage battery possibly causing fires in certain cases.

Similarly, BMW recalled 26,900 plug-in electric hybrid vehicles globally in October over concerns that the batteries could cause a fire. In both cases, Abuelsamid said, the cell supplier welded the cells in a way that caused aluminum and copper debris to form inside the cell. When that happens, in rare cases, the debris can cause a short circuit which sparks a fire, he said.

Ford and BMW instituted new testing processes to ensure battery safety, Abuelsamid said.

But, "I can almost guarantee you it will happen again. Things go wrong all the time, that’s the nature of building stuff," Abuelsamid said. "That gasoline in your car now, that can burn too."

An electric car fire is harder to extinguish than a gasoline fire, he said, because the way the battery is engineered, the elements in it continue to produce oxygen to feed the fire.

"It doesn’t matter what your energy source is — gasoline, diesel or electric — there are always ways that things can go wrong, which is why you have to take great care in your manufacturing process to find flaws," Abuelsamid said. "Flaws will happen, but are you detecting those flaws before they leave the plant?”

A lot more work to do
Jaffe said the legacy automakers have an advantage over startups — years of experience working with the dangerous high-voltage batteries that go into EVs. He listed three ways an EV fire can happen:

The batteries go into thermal runaway, which is when a battery gets hot if it’s being pushed too much and starts a meltdown. Most automakers have figured out how to engineer batteries to mitigate this risk.
A mistake with physical wiring occurs that causes a short circuit that leads to a fire.
Flawed battery controls. The computer that controls how the battery works is highly sophisticated and in a prototype that is still being developed, it could go awry and cause a fire.
The auto industry has been fairly successful at making safe EVs considering there are few fires, but there will always be risk — as with a gasoline engine — because the batteries contain flammable materials, Jaffe said.

“But when you’re working with prototypes, you’re still figuring it out and it shouldn’t be that surprising that a mule would catch on fire especially from a company that doesn’t have decades of experience on how to make these things safe,” said Jaffe. "It’s hard engineering.”

While automakers do have to take the prototypes on the public roads for testing at some point, "that's a bad sign if it catches fire," Jaffe said, noting Lordstown Motors has "a lot more work to do."

"It’s very hard for any automotive startup to establish the record of safety engineering that the incumbents have," Jaffe said. "Everything is based on safety. You have to solve safety first or you won’t have a company."

Building betas
Numerous EVs are headed to market.

General Motors will launch the 2022 GMC Hummer at the end of this year. The Edition 1 trim is priced at $112,595. Ford will build an electric light-duty pickup and launch it in 2022. Tesla's Cybertruck, which starts at $39,900, is expected to start production later this year. Rivian's R1T Launch edition, starting at $75,000, will come out this summer.

More:The truck wars heat up with these 5 new electric pickups coming

Lordstown Motors' Endurance, which is targeted for commercial use and starts at $52,500 before a $7,500 federal tax rebate, will be ready by year-end and it will be safe, Hallett promised.

"To Steve (Burn)’s point, automation helps eliminate human error," Hallett said. "That inherently eliminates a lot of the risks and safety issues. But the beta prototypes are for testing, so if something does go wrong, we’ve caught it two iterations before the production vehicle.”

Beta prototypes for the Endurance will all have identical bodies and matching components versus the mules, which have donor bodies and mismatched components still being tested. Lordstown Motors will test 50 to 60 betas across the country, including a few in Detroit starting at the end of March, Hallett said.

Jaffe hasn’t been to Lordstown Motors’ plant to study the automation there, but he said, "They have to take (Tesla CEO) Elon Musk’s words seriously when he says, 'Making a prototype is easy, making a production vehicle is a thousand times harder.’ Automation, doing it right, is as hard of a problem as someone welding a battery pack by hand.”

On Monday, Lordstown Motors built its first beta prototype at the assembly plant in Ohio that once made GM's Chevy Cruze compact cars before GM idled the plant in spring 2019 and later sold it to Lordstown Motors.

Adjacent to the plant, GM has started to hire workers at Ultium Cells LLC, a battery assembly plant it's building there as part of its joint venture with LG Chem. GM will start battery cell production this spring, but it has not identified which EVs will initially get the battery cells made there.

But it won't be Lordstown Motors. Last month, Lordstown said it signed a long-term battery-cell supply agreement with LG Chem's wholly owned subsidiary LG Energy Solution. Hallett said it also has a multiyear agreement with Samsung for battery cells. Lordstown Motors will build the battery packs in-house for the Endurance.

EV battery problems
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), electric vehicle fires "in the field" are rare.

But the agency, "continues to monitor field data to better understand the relative fire risk of electric-powered and internal combustion engine vehicles," said NHTSA spokeswoman Lucia Sanchez in an email. "NHTSA recently announced a battery safety initiative that includes research, regulatory, and enforcement actions to help advance the safety of electric powered vehicles."

Lordstown Motors is registered as a manufacturer with NHTSA, but the agency does not require it to report incidents regarding prototype vehicles.

EV fire risks have affected GM and Hyundai Motor Co. too. Both have issued massive recalls of certain EVs due to batteries made by LG Chem posing risks of fire.

In a dispute between LG Chem and SK Innovation, SK Innovation asked the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC) to consider that “LG Chem batteries have been involved in a series of fires and explosions, raising substantial public interest concerns," Reuters reported in December.

GM uses LG Chem batteries in the Chevrolet Bolt EV. In November, GM recalled all 2017-19 model year Bolts because they may pose a fire risk. It involves 68,667 vehicles globally; 50,925 of which are in the United States. LG Chem also supplies batteries to Tesla and Hyundai.

More:GM recalls 68,600 Chevy Bolts for fire risk, warns do not park it in a garage

More:GM reveals 2022 Bolt EUV, 2022 Bolt EV: How they're different

There were five Bolts that caught fire without impact and GM said all had high voltage batteries produced at LG Chem’s Ochang, South Korea, facility. Similarly, in October, Hyundai recalled nearly 77,000 Kona EVs globally citing possible defects in battery cells supplies by LG Chem as increasing the risk of fire.

Build the safest vehicle
Lordstown Motors employs about 220 workers in Ohio with another 500 contract workers there, Hallett said. But by year-end, it plans to employ 1,000 to 1,500 as it starts production of the Endurance. It also has 23 workers at its service center in Irvine, California.

The automaker has 100,000 preorders for the pickup, which will be sold to commercial fleets, Hallett said. The plan is to build 3,000 Endurances this year and ramp up production to make 20,000 next year.

Lordstown will unveil an electric van in June and start production of that in the second half of of next year. Hallett said engineers are confident that the battery cells its suppliers provide will be safe.

"The reason we have multiple multiyear supplier agreements — is if there’s a problem we have a second supply stream," Hallett said. "This vehicle needs to be safe and needs to be reliable so if we put 3,000 pickups on the road and it’s not safe that’s not good. Our priority will always be to build the safest vehicle.”

91c9c036-553f-422b-82de-f31c59081f24-Endurance_fire_three (resized).jpg91c9c036-553f-422b-82de-f31c59081f24-Endurance_fire_three (resized).jpg765d23c3-5844-43ff-8473-a8940df5a77e-Endurance_fire_six (resized).jpg765d23c3-5844-43ff-8473-a8940df5a77e-Endurance_fire_six (resized).jpg9180558c-fd89-4f86-a16c-e65d350a0633-Endurance_fire_one (resized).jpg9180558c-fd89-4f86-a16c-e65d350a0633-Endurance_fire_one (resized).jpgd35dd7e5-56d3-42ad-bbc8-6cc771630ead-Endurance_fire_two (resized).jpgd35dd7e5-56d3-42ad-bbc8-6cc771630ead-Endurance_fire_two (resized).jpge3bfbf30-311e-43db-9f4e-b6a7ec4e8d8d-Endurance_fire_five (resized).jpge3bfbf30-311e-43db-9f4e-b6a7ec4e8d8d-Endurance_fire_five (resized).jpg
#472 3 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

I'm seriously debating Cybertruck or Ford Mach E. If gas goes over $3.50 a gallon I'm selling my DD Land Cruiser and I'm serously looking at Mach E. However, I really like the Total Recall look of the Cybertruck. Ford still gets you $7,500 back though.

Gas is up another 25¢/gallon in the Detroit suburbs today. $2.79 for Regular Unleaded at a "discount" station.

2 months later
#498 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I am all in owning a Tesla but I must say after spending the week at the Rivian Plant in Bloomington Normal IL this week they are on the right track to kick some but in the EL market. Their SUV is absolutely beautiful inside out. Robot cells are almost done and millions in orders are already set for a huge launch. While I client I am keeping my eye on this company.
https://rivian.com

Note how Rivian is not bragging how "another gigapress tool has been delivered to terrafactory ZYX"? GM has invested more in tooling yearly than what Tesla has for the past ten years combined.

2 months later
#530 2 years ago

What is their hourly rate in the Chicago and Boise areas? Is there any service or mileage charge to drive out to you?

#533 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I’ve never been charged.

I guess I'll wait for paynemic to respond. But everyone should ask as the warranty does not last forever.

3 months later
#553 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

No history. Lol. Yeah because GM and Hummers have a huge history in the EV market and technology infrastructure lol. A Trillion Dollar Tesla has so much to learn from Hummer.

You can't accept the fact that GM was doing extensive research on EV's before Elon was even born, can you? The public display at the General Motors Building was titled "Into the 21st Century". I was quite young but remember seeing the electric car images along with them portrayed in "Boring Company-esque" one lane tunnels and that they could be driverless. This was in 1969.

Also note that the Trillion dollar valuation on Tesla would get wiped down by a significant percentage if the large holders started bailing.

And even Rivian is getting the word out to low-lifes like MrBally.

Disclosure, I've driven a performance Model 3 for a few days that a former employer had as a pool car. Fast acceleration for sure. Poor quality and a very cheap feel. A lower end Audi priced the same feels much more solid and refined. Same with a Y.

Disclosure, I hopped on the TSLA stock bandwagon awhile ago making several trades that paid for my cross-country move and bought some toys. Nice to see it hit a grand today.
20211025_123927 (resized).jpg20211025_123927 (resized).jpg

#561 2 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Not sure where that info comes from. As far as I’ve heard they’re much less likely to be involved in accidents in general?

Hard to prevent not at fault accidents. Just saw a pretty white Model Y with the ass-end smashed in driving on the LV Strip. Reminded me of the Detroiter specials. In Michigan, a "no-fault State, the vehicle owner's insurance pays for the repair. More expensive vehicles have higher premiums.

#565 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

There’s no battery waste. They’re recycled.

That's what I tell my customers.....

3 months later
#584 2 years ago

Spotted this Tesla pickup truck by Giga Nevada this past Sunday. Ironically, getting gasoline at the Golden Gate Petroleum station on USA Parkway & Electric Avenue.

20220130_115515 (resized).jpg20220130_115515 (resized).jpg
#589 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

The EV fire paranoia is overblown. There’s a higher probability of gas and hybrid vehicles catching fire than an EV.

Let's see, 275,000,000 ICE vehicles and 5,000,000 Electric and Hybrid vehicles registered in the USA. Of course there are more ICE vehicle fires.
There are more flat tires on ICE vehicles.
There are more thefts involving ICE vehicles too.

#658 2 years ago
Quoted from insight75:

Yeah I'm not driving the Hindenburg....

Oh the Humanity!

#660 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

How about we break it down to fires per 100k sales? Does that change your narrative?[quoted image]

Nope, I look at NHTSA and DOT provided figures, not USA Today cartoonish figures. You need to take into account 275M ICE vehicles vs. 5M EV's. Remember, USA registrations only. Don't count Tesla's made in China as they don't ship those here. But you do count the GM vehicles that took out houses with attached garages.

#661 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

They don’t build work trucks so it shouldn’t be that much of a surprise that they use trucks or vans from another manufacturer.
All of their SSD vans are Ford Transits.

Even someone with limited knowledge like me is quite aware of this. I posted a pic of a Ford Transit service van over 3 1/2 years ago by my home near Detroit. It had Ohio plates since there were no Tesla service facilities in Michigan at the time.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-is-in-on-tesla-model-3/page/32#post-4510494

#663 2 years ago
Quoted from coolwhs:

Gas or Diesel trucks will become a niche product in 10 years or less for one simple reason: fuel cost.
No business owners with half a brain would buy a gas or diesel truck if they don't have to.
(Tesla stats are estimated)
Tesla Cybertruck 250 KWH battery pack at 12 cents per KWH = $30 to charge for 400 Miles of range $30 / 400 = 7.5 cents per mile
F250/RAM 2500/Silverado 12 MPG combined at $3 a gallon gas = $3 / 12 = 25 cents per mile
Not to mention all the problems with gas/diesel emissions and the BS for the fuel mileage.
Electric trucks also won't need much of any maintenance.
Modern day vehicles use a lot of parts that are basically too complicated to repair.
I feel bad for anyone buying a hybrid truck right now; 10 or 15 years from now spare parts will be unobtainable aside from junkyards.
Even tier 2 and 3 suppliers are looking at whether to close or not:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/mergermarket/2021/05/27/are-we-there-yet-automotive-suppliers-taking-different-routes-to-all-electric-future/amp/

Time to recalculate with more realistic KWh figures, not the 12 cents number.

Where are most Teslas registered? California....

KWh
Los Angeles: 24 cents/KWh
San Diego: 31 cents/KWh
San Francisco: 25.9 cents/KWh

For reference:
Detroit: 17.8 cents/KWh
Chicago: 14.6 cents/KWh
Detroit: 17.8 cents/KWh
Las Vegas: 12.2 cents/KWh
(Another reason I moved here)

#664 2 years ago
Quoted from coolwhs:

It may shock you to know that businesses routinely pay $50k to $80k for a pickup truck and $100k to $200k for a semi.
It'll take longer than 10 years for the lower classes to go all electric; but they really don't matter as much as the businesses that actually use their trucks.
They'll be forced to upgrade when there aren't parts available to fix their cars.

I'm not shocked at all. Not many realize how much cryogenic tank trailers cost.

#665 2 years ago
Quoted from ls1chris:

my daughter wanted a 4XE in the worst way and i didnt agree at all for the same reasons you had listed until we looked at every aspect of it and "did the math" her previous ICE jeep, 2014 wrangler , monthly payment was 330/month, the 4XE 380/month. the tip point was parking costs at UNI. monthly parking was 400/month, UNLESS you have an EV , then parking is free. She is enrolled in a 6 year program , ( 4XE is 5 yr term). As long as the parking stays the same, + 5500/ev rebate she received , her cost of purchase is $-2700.00 .

What a great deal for your daughter. She should be fine, but like most deals, that will come to and end when the university feels it is leaving money on the table.

#670 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

Feel free to share your data.

Will do, once all 2021 figures are available.

#673 2 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

"my daughter wanted a 4XE"
what is a 4XE ???

Jeep's Hybrid Electic/Gas 4x4 Wrangler

#702 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

If your gas tank was 3/4 full every morning you left the driveway, you would rarely have to stop at the gas station.
Same here. Charging is only done on long road trips. I can count on 2 hands how many times I have to “wait” on my car to charge throughout the year and I drive 30k/year.
Buc-ee’s will soon have Tesla superchargers. Anyone in Texas know you stay there for up to 30 minutes anyway. It will be a game changer.

I wondered when they would add EV charging. Are the adding them to the 144 gasoline pumps or taking some gas/diesel pumps out? One location in Georgia seemed land-locked.

#722 2 years ago
Quoted from pins4u:

.....AND.....50 people all sitting around for hours waiting for their turn to charge OR even when charging.

Looks like only one Tesla waiting with all ten of the superchargers occupied. This was in Primm, Nevada (I-15 at the California border).

20211229_132845 (resized).jpg20211229_132845 (resized).jpg
#774 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

Gas is on the way to $4/gallon. Electricity is steady at .12 /kWh. Most American made cars in the US. Navigation does all the “planning”. Just saying.

Just an FYI, Electric rates vary wildly across the USA. San Diego charges $0.27 to $0.31 as an example.
$0.121 in Detroit
$0.177 in Las Vegas
$0.143 in New York City.

Even Gasoline doesn't vary this much across the land.

#776 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

Gas is $3/gallon here and I paid $5/gallon in CA a couple months ago.
Electricity rates are not tracking with gasoline increases.

Agreed. $3.50-$3.99 variance in Las Vegas for Regular. Paid $4.49 for premium at Sinclair just now while Joy riding with my son.
Photo from late August '21, at Primm, Nevada, Mile Marker zero on I-15.

20210824_195551 (resized).jpg20210824_195551 (resized).jpg
#792 2 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Bruce, do you still have that picture of gas below $1.00 in Michigan during the peak COVID crap ?
Wife just paid $3.15 at Sam's Club, she got a free 1 year membership, most places $3.30 ish
meanwhile in Texas: https://www.engadget.com/tesla-cybertruck-production-production-2023-152051543.html

He you go bob_eApril 14, 2020. Sam's Club, Utica, MI.

imagejpeg_0 (resized).jpgimagejpeg_0 (resized).jpg
#818 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

Bob, there is a Tesla service center 20 miles from you.
[quoted image]

Yes, he mentioned it above in post #793. 22 miles as he lives a bit away from the downtown area.

1 week later
#883 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

You can also make billions by shifting production to Mexico, like GM did for your Terrain.
I can’t imagine buying a foreign made car while living in Motor City.

Real Americans buy what they want....

#886 2 years ago
Quoted from Crumbalimb:

So its like super cold and I figured out on the tesla 3 app all I have to do is hit the climate control button and bingo when I get to car it's all nice and toasty. Kinda like a self-starting car but you don't have to be close to car. The other feature I found interesting is I can unlock the car from anywhere I have phone service. Not that I see any practical use to unlock or start to warm up or cool down your car when your across the country, but its cool to use new technology and how it all ties in together.

General Motors or Ford pioneered those features; app-based remote start and climate control operation. Also remote lock & unlock all when cell coverage is available. Tesla may have licensed them from GM. Ford as well or vice-versa. Maybe in exchange for fuel credits or something. I'm sure the Musketeers will research and report back if I'm wrong.

#893 2 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Come on man. You’re embarrassing yourself. Anyone can point to specific environmental problems from a given situation. But you can’t sit there and say that gas cars have never burned up and caused disasters. They carry around 20 gallons of explosive! Or that they’re “better” for the environment than EVs. Your just being silly.
Drive your dinosaur and enjoy it and feel good about how loud and slow it is. I’ll feel good about quiet and fast. All cars are bad for the environment. So is living on this planet. The best thing for earth would be if we weren’t here. Not an option.
And that post had literally nothing to do with cybertruck. In any way. You’re just a hater. Cut it out and go to the “I hate EVs” thread I’m about to create for all the trolls…
Edit: here’s the new thread…
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-i-hate-evs-thread#post-6791079

The shipping companies only allow 0.6 gallon of fuel in ICE vehicles.

I have an Audi e-tron on order for Mrs.Bally so I'm not against EV's, only Teslas because of their asshole CEO/"Technoking". Plus Tesla stock fueled by fanboi enthusiasm helped me get the new e-tron.

#896 2 years ago
Quoted from pins4u:

You might be waiting a bit longer for your new car - it's possibly on this ship that was headed for the USA.

I have verified that it has not yet been built.

#902 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

While I don't necessarily disagree with your current assessment of Tesla I do have to laugh though... You ordered literally the worst EV on the market. The e-tron is simply garbage and any respectable review you read would tell you that...
Jeff

You can tell that to my wife, it's what she wants. She evaluated several vehicles and chose it. She laughed at the Tesla offerings. Remember, I was able to use a M3 and a X for a few days as my former employer had them for vehicle testing.
She liked the Mach-e looks and drivabilty, but not the chintzy interior. Plus, we have owned over a dozen VW/Audi vehicles. They have been very reliable, maintenance costs are reasonable, and they don't look antiquated every three years. Their dealer/service network is awesome. Both where we used to live and where we are now.

#903 2 years ago

She also liked this one (GT RS) but said it wasn't practical for her. Maybe I'll buy one if I have to let go of my antiquated, soon to be obsolete, ICE vehicles...

20211106_141504 (resized).jpg20211106_141504 (resized).jpg
4 months later
#967 1 year ago
Quoted from PaulCoff:

What company has a possible realization of recycled batteries into sustainable material?

East Penn Manufacturing Company, Lyon Station, PA.

2 months later
#971 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

[quoted image]

The Musketeers will soon point out that only "4680 cells" will be used on the superior cyber truck.

5 months later
#1018 1 year ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Man Im so pissed off with Tesla. I buy the car, few weeks later the price is reduced nearly 20k, then they start releasing all new updates every week.. larger rear screen, better glass, red break calipers, new paint options
Im done w/ them , feels like a scam.

Elon drove it. He likes it!

1 month later
#1047 11 months ago
Quoted from Fytr:

That's hilarious! They will sell as many as they can make for years.

Sure they will. Just like Model X and Model S.
And when will we see volume production? How aboot the $40,000 version that a majority of the "pre-orders" are for.

4 months later
#1103 7 months ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Elon said we are in "uncharted territory" in building the cybertruck. (it was in one of the last couple articles I posted links to.)
So Ford built: 6 1936 Deluxe sedans, 2 1960 Thunderbirds, and3 1967 Lincoln Convertibles.
The Delorian built the DMC12
Somewhere 1832 and 1839 a motorized carriage was built using galvanic cells.
By 1859 batteries that could be recharged came along.
In 1887 Willliam Morrison applied for a patent for a front wheel drive electric car came along 4 horsepower and a range of 50 miles.
Presidential Limousines have bullet proof glass.
So EVs, displaced emission vehicles, are not new. And the use of stainless steel in building bodies is not new either.
So where is this uncharted territory? Today he has all the previous research and results. Far superior computers and machinery to build the cybertruck with a gigawiper to boot.
Elon, build it back better...

Where are Tesla's Research Laboratories?
Where is their Proving Grounds? Surely it can't be on the public roads, can it? No info in their form 10-K....

#1110 7 months ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Well, don't tezla owners charge for free? Your Mach-E or other EVs need and adapter plug to use it. And surely, they will pay a premium price for the charging their cars/truck/suv. Doing this might thwart the growth of the private charging companies, giving Elon a monopoly or giga-opoly. Or the government is hearing a lot from non tezla owners who need a place to "refuel" on the open road and Elon is trying to nip it in bud.
There should be standardized charging systems. Petrol stations allow you to select the grade of gas or diesel.

Word of the week: giga-opoly.
The US government hate monopolies. It may not be too long before Tesla enterprises gets broken up.....

#1112 7 months ago
Quoted from paynemic:

That would be interesting! Not a fan of government intervention until it suits our particular preferences tho, right? I’m guilty of it too.

Elon's fanbois think that rules don't apply to them. They are sadly mistaken.

1 week later
#1124 6 months ago

As the EPA ratings indicated on window stickers in the '80's: Actual mileage may vary, your mileage will probably be less.....

1 week later
#1138 6 months ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Real Soon according to elon

Per elon: Telsa Cybertruck will be released in 2021 with a starting price of $39,900

#1148 6 months ago
Quoted from galore2112:

10 micron accuracy?[quoted image]

The Musketeers have scripts ready to explain all of this.

1 month later
#1220 4 months ago
Quoted from LeMansFan:

Saw two of these on the road the other day while driving around Fremont near the Tesla factory.
Will I be downvoted like crazy if I’m honest and say they were the ugliest trucks I’ve ever seen??? Like on the level of Pontiac Aztec ugly. Fugly.

Was that the original Aztec or the "facelift" for the few model years? Or, did you mean the sister vehicle; the *Beautiful* Buick Rendezvous?

#1253 4 months ago
Quoted from cookpins:

Beating the 911 in the quarter mile while towing the same 911 was pretty good...I do not get how the doors work though. Seemed like they didn't pop open enough to grab onto, and they kept grabbing where the downed window was.

Lets see it against a 911 on a mile run, or on any size oval. No need to burden it with a trailer either.

How about comparing the 1/4 mile against a 911 with the CT $40,000.00 version, oops, I mean the $60,990 [Est. whatever that means] version?

#1285 4 months ago
Quoted from paynemic:

No. Like 60

This is generally right for now. But it is suffice for a lot of people. And they’re really fun.

Remember, the $60k (Est. Whatever that means) version has a further delayed i troduction of "2025"....

#1293 4 months ago
Quoted from cookpins:

Beating the 911 in the quarter mile while towing the same 911 was pretty good...I do not get how the doors work though. Seemed like they didn't pop open enough to grab onto, and they kept grabbing where the downed window was.

Now proven false as it was a 1/8 mile run. Instant torque wins in the beginning, here, 660'. Rerun the marketing gimmick at 1320'.

Besides, would you really want a Tesla instead of a Porsche?

https://insideevs.com/news/699260/tesla-cybertruck-porsche-race/

#1301 4 months ago
Quoted from ASAC_Schrader:

I love my Porsche’s, EV’s can go pound sand.
[quoted image]

You can't beat Smiles per Gallon!

#1302 4 months ago
Quoted from bob_e:

just put a stopwatch to the video and the truth will be told 1/4 or 1/8 mile.
Put the two of them on a road course and see who is the victor.
Put the two of them on a 12 or 24 hour endurance race and see who wins.

Since it was a Tesla supplied video, I wouldn't put it past them to alter the FPS as it's easy with digital recordings.

I mean the Musketeers were aplauding the video like walrures being tossed a bucket of herrings.

2 weeks later
#1321 4 months ago

Has anyone tried to get their hundred buck reservation money back?
A friend with a reservation for a Gen 2, Founder's edition Roadster for several years got sick of no updates. He said he's done waiting. He asked for his $250k payment back that they have had all this time. He was told he will receive the funds in 80 [eighty] weeks.

Does that sound like a good COmpaNy?

#1333 3 months ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

My Corvette got software updates while it was parked in my garage. can tezla do that ???
Of course

I think you have some wires crossed. What are you talking aboot regarding the CT towing a trailer with a Porsche on it purporting to do a 0-60 run?

#1340 3 months ago
Quoted from bob_e:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/new-tesla-cars-fall-apart-the-company-says-drivers-are-to-blame/ar-AA1lOpdO?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=DCTS&cvid=76b67c274ec045f7bcecd85e2d8faab2&ei=15
An alarming report published by Reuters on Wednesday details how the electric vehicle manufacturer Tesla has shirked responsibility for the failures of parts it knew to be defective, including suspension and steering systems. The investigation comes shortly after a recall of 2 million Teslas to add safety guardrails to the cars' Autopilot features - whose capabilities CEO Elon Musk tends to grossly exaggerate - as well as a study showing that Tesla drivers had the highest accident rate among all auto brands over the past year.
Reuters journalists reviewed thousands of Tesla documents revealing how the company tracked design flaws but routinely made customers pay substantial out-of-pocket fees to repair those very issues. Tens of thousands of drivers, the outlet reported, have experienced steering and suspension problems in newer cars due to these faulty parts. In one incident, a 2023 Tesla Model Y carrying a driver along with his wife and young daughter blew its right-front suspension because of a slow turn. The owner had bought the car the day before.
"If we were on a 70-mile-per-hour highway, and this would have happened, that would have been catastrophic," said the driver. He explained that he "lost complete confidence" in the vehicle because of the breakage, which Tesla refused to pay for, claiming that "prior" damage was to blame. The company has often cited "abuse" or "misuse" of vehicles in order to reject claims for repairs on cars under warranty.
Ask any automotive engineer and they will tell you that. The motor/battery/controller is top notch and the rest of the car needs work. And those musketeers who paid 50% more than the ICE counterpart won't admit any problems with their car.
For sale 100 packets of Elon Kool-Aid

Screenshot_20231221_053411_Samsung Internet (resized).jpgScreenshot_20231221_053411_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
1 week later
#1356 3 months ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Sounds like the Corolla swerved into the Cybertruck's lane or somesuch. The picture of the damage to the truck's panels look like it should "buff right out" .

It's never a Tesla drivers or the vehicles fault.

#1363 3 months ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Not gonna lie, guy who slaps down $250k and then just lets it sit around for several years is partially to blame… shoulda thrown it in the stock market and pulled whenever they needed payment

At the time, you had to pay for it in full, up front. This was offered to him as he bought an early Model S.

#1370 3 months ago
Quoted from John_I:

This is smart. There is basically no arguing the fact that no one wants a car that is the same color as every other one on the road. Not to mention that basically any color looks better than the raw stainless refrigerator look. The two best looking Delorians I ever saw were both painted black.

At John Delorean's funeral service in Royal Oak, Michigan, there were aboot thirty Delorean DM-1's. There were a handfull of black and red ones, which looked awesome. Also a lot of Pontiac GTO's.

#1381 3 months ago
Quoted from bob_e:A new 2024 Corvette bases at $70,000 0-60 in 2.78 but call it 2.8 (you get the $4K price increase over the 2023))
https://www.chevrolet.com/performance/corvette/build-and-price/config
Best tezla 3 0-60I can find, by auto magazines: MOTOR TREND, ROAD and TRACK, CAR and DRIVER, 3.1 and 3.2 seconds
I was on my phone so I couldn't get price on it so SHOW ME what brand new tezla, provide link, will do better for $35K
And should we take a poll on what car you want to be seen in?
[quoted image][quoted image]

All musketeers will gleefully insist they would never want to be seen in a Corvette, or any antiquated, soon to be obsolete ICE vehicle.
Once they blurt it out, elon, kimbal, maye or tosca will throw them a couple of herrings.

#1387 3 months ago
Quoted from bob_e:

not only do the cars catch fire so do the dealerships!
[quoted image]

Musketeers will say that way more ICE dealers and service centers burn compared to Tesla delivery centers/showrooms and service centers.
The numbers: 17,835 non-Tesla Auto dealers and service locations in the US. 422 superior Tesla showrooms/delivery centers and service locations.
With those numbers, for every Tesla building that catches fire, 42 of the Antiquated, soon to be obsolete, ICE, Hybrid (also antiquated per the muketeers), and ICE/EV dealerships and service centers need to catch fire to be "equal".

#1390 3 months ago
Quoted from bob_e:

The Cybertruck achieved less than 80% of Tesla's advertised range in a YouTuber's highway test during Texas winter.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/the-cybertruck-achieved-less-than-80-of-tesla-s-advertised-range-in-a-youtuber-s-highway-test-during-texas-winter/ar-AA1mwqLa?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=DCTS&cvid=a02871de672447d1aa6542431ace9886&ei=14
I wonder how it would to in northern Minnesota? like Frost Bite Falls

Screenshot_20240105_114414_Samsung Internet (resized).jpgScreenshot_20240105_114414_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
#1396 3 months ago

Pretty cool that I was able to gain 3 miles of range on MsBally's etron as we approached Laughlin on the long downgrade.

3 weeks later
#1442 79 days ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Haha but its stainless steel!

Why not get the optional wrap?

#1452 79 days ago
Quoted from Cmartin1235:

Color me skeptical but I'm not inclined to believe that unless I see it in writing. What are they going to do, litigate the owner for reselling the car? It's not like they're going to Troll DMV title records and charge it to the persons credit card.

Maybe they simply hold the title even if you pay for the vehicle in cash? I know If I buy a vehicle from a private seller, I want title in hand, I lay down the pile of cash, seller signs the title, I give them the cash, they hand me the title and keys.
If the title has a Lein, I do the transfer at the DMV office to verify the Lein has been settled.

#1461 78 days ago
Quoted from Mleiter:

I do not see how that is enforceable. I know this is supposed to combat price gouging, but what about people that run into financial difficulties or need cash for medical problems? People their sell expensive toys all the time, why is this any different?

As mentioned above by Richthoften, Tesla will "brick" the vehicle. Good luck fighting them.
I repaired some pins for a guy who collects Ford GT's. He sold this one a week before I went to his mancave. He said he had to wait the two years before he could sell it. Ford had some kind of conditional lein on the title. Not a financial lein, because, well, like in the movie Scent of a Woman, "this isn't an installment item".

You can see the pins in the background. King Kool is on the left.

Screenshot_20240131_100420_Samsung Internet (resized).jpgScreenshot_20240131_100420_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#1473 60 days ago
Quoted from bob_e:

First the "bulletproof glass" isn't bulletproof, and now the Stainless steel is rusting!

The musketeers are all over on x/twitter explaining everything per the script they were given. Examples follow.....

Stainless steel means it "stains less", but it still can stain. Just like kitchen sinks, mine is 27 years old and still no rust. Some CyberTrucks are showing rust in a "within spec" 11 days since delivery. Break out the Bar Keepers Friend and a sponge to easily clean. It's covered in the owners manual.
Also, an eleven year old Chinese-made fridge in the outdoor kitchen is still rust-free in Vegas. When it starts to rust, I'll have the Bon-Ami or Bar Keepers Friend and a scouring pad handy.

As for the glass issue on reveal day, well, er, umm, hmm.... Maybe the heavy ball he tossed at the glass had a porosity pocket on the surface causing a tiny burr to strike the glass fracturing it. Porosity pockets, just like the ones in select suspension component that cause them to crack like a pretzel.

4027_32 (resized).jpg4027_32 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#1479 51 days ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Keep debating if I should sell the Hummer and get this instead. Tesla does have good network and tech.

By network, do you mean parts distribution, Service centers, or charging or a combination?

3 weeks later
#1488 28 days ago

A white wrapped one was in Plymouth, Michigan today. Texas registration..

IMG_1905 (resized).jpgIMG_1905 (resized).jpgIMG_1907 (resized).jpgIMG_1907 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Valdosta, GA
$ 34.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 37.50
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 18.95
4,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Crescent Springs, KE
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Knoxville, TN
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bellefonte, PA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RavSpec

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrbally.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tesla-cybertruck?tu=mrbally and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.