IMG_2898 (resized).JPG
IMG_2900 (resized).JPG
Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 7.04.17?AM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 7.04.26?AM (resized).png
Screenshot_20240131_100420_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
IMG_1679 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1678 (resized).jpeg
giphy-5.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jawjaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 4 years ago

Man, that's ugly. Wow, thought it was a joke.

#270 4 years ago
Quoted from lapean111:

Because at this point it's straight up state run media.

??? Maybe take the tin foil hat off. I don't get why everyone has to make all of this political. I also don't get why the vast majority of electric cars have to be weird, or flat out ugly looking. I thought Tesla nailed it with the Model S and kinda with Model 3. Those look like normal, functional, attractive cars. How do you go from that to some flat panel, ugly pickup truck? Then there is the Mach E. How do you use the iconic Mustang name and not style it like one? Instead you get a bloated suv. Maybe someday I will be an electric but not if they continue to be the most boring or ridiculous looking cars on the road.

#284 4 years ago

Car manufacturers make ugly cars because they don't want to sell cars? But when Tesla makes an ugly car it's because they are smart and forward thinking? Makes sense. And the reason people don't want to buy a Tesla is because they are too good of a car and nothing to do with price, features, needs, etc?

#288 4 years ago

I guess electric car guys think completely different. An ugly car is an ugly car in my book. A 63 Corvette is a beautiful car. An 83 Corvette not so much. Which you think is more desirable today? Saying that electric car market is different thus electric cars must be designed awkwardly ugly is ridiculous. Perhaps there is a market for ugly trucks for people that don't buy trucks. Read something that there are already 200,000 deposits down for the truck so maybe I am wrong. Man, it's going to ruin my day to be stuck behind one in traffic and have to stare at it's storage shed ass.

#302 4 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

So what exactly does a 1983 corvette look like? I know what an 82 looks like and an 84, but not an 83.

It's ugly.

Quoted from Reality_Studio:

That's subjective though. I was around 12 (the impressionable years) when the '83 Vette came out and hence I love it. Faceman after all drove one in the A-Team. Then again I'd also happy cruise pch in an 80's convetible IROC-Z, another car that was around in my impressionable years which many deem hideous. Your age and what you grew up with I suspect has a huge impact on what you think is ugly.

I'm the same age. Watched and loved the same shows. That doesn't change anything. Those cars were not built well, drove terrible, and did not age well.

2 years later
#579 2 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

The more I see that thing the less ugly it is….

Less? It's so amazingly ugly I cannot even understand. So ugly Tesla cannot even build them.

#587 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

The EV fire paranoia is overblown. There’s a higher probability of gas and hybrid vehicles catching fire than an EV.

Yes but it's still happens. Any car fire is not good but when those batteries catch on fire it's a lot more not good.

#630 2 years ago
Quoted from coolwhs:

Copying from my post a couple posts above:
Gas or Diesel trucks will become a niche product in 10 years or less for one simple reason: fuel cost.
No business owners with half a brain would buy a gas or diesel truck if they don't have to.
(Tesla stats are estimated)
Tesla Cybertruck 250 KWH battery pack at 12 cents per KWH = $30 to charge for 400 Miles of range $30 / 400 = 7.5 cents per mile
F250/RAM 2500/Silverado 12 MPG combined at $3 a gallon gas = $3 / 12 = 25 cents per mile
Not to mention all the problems with gas/diesel emissions and the BS for the fuel mileage.
Electric trucks also won't need much of any maintenance.
Modern day vehicles use a lot of parts that are basically too complicated to repair.
I feel bad for anyone buying a hybrid truck right now; 10 or 15 years from now spare parts will be unobtainable aside from junkyards.
Even tier 2 and 3 suppliers are looking at whether to close or not:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/mergermarket/2021/05/27/are-we-there-yet-automotive-suppliers-taking-different-routes-to-all-electric-future/amp/

10 years? Are you crazy? How often does the average person buy a brand new car? Most people cannot even afford a brand new car let alone an expensive luxury type of vehicle which is what most ev cars fall into. Commercial businesses are not going to just convert entire fleets of vehicles just like that. There is a reason why Tesla had that Ford F150 for a work truck that someone posted up above. Commercial businesses need reliable vehicles and any down time charging results in loss of revenue. Diesel trucks are popular because of the hauling power and longevity. They pretty much run forever. Then you get into infrastructure changes and cost to do so. You also have people that flat out do not want an ev vehicle. Ridiculous to think that all that is going to change in just a few years.

#653 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

I think by niche, he may mean that EV’s will exceed all ICE capabilities.
HP, torque, range, maintenance, cost etc.. EV will eventually check all the boxes and there’s only going to be a small group choosing ICE.
Right now they’re not the best choice for hauling your large boat or trailer. However, in 10 years the energy density and efficiency will be higher.
It’s crazy to think the first EV trucks out of the gate all have 800+ HP and 300’ish mile range. Where will they be in 10 years?

That does not change my point. EV vehicles already exceed ICE capabilities in many ways if not all. But that's all on paper. Reality is ev cars with good performance cost a lot of money. Right now a sensible Toyota Corolla is like $20000. Tesla Model 3 is more than twice that. It makes no sense to spend $25000 extra to save $80 a month on operating costs. Maybe for those bad at math. How much would a large commercial ev truck loaded with a mountain of batteries cost? How many businesses can afford to swap out their entire fleet of vehicles for more expensive alternatives, install charging infrastructures, and change their business plans to make it all work? It's no different than average household. If you have two Tesla's in your driveway, you probably live in a very nice house in a good neighborhood. Kids don't drive ev vehicles unless family is wealthy. A decent 10 year old Tesla is still well over $30000. A decent Corolla is of course less than half that. Maybe all that will change one day but things are not going to be radically different in just 10 years.

#676 2 years ago
Quoted from coolwhs:

It may shock you to know that businesses routinely pay $50k to $80k for a pickup truck and $100k to $200k for a semi.
It'll take longer than 10 years for the lower classes to go all electric; but they really don't matter as much as the businesses that actually use their trucks.
They'll be forced to upgrade when there aren't parts available to fix their cars.

Correct. And commercial ev vehicles will cost a lot more than that. Point? The people that are going to buy ev are the ones buying them now - individuals. If a business invests millions into changing their fleet, that cost has to be worked into their business plan. That pretty much means they have to increase the price of their goods/services and risk being less competitive. If ev vehicles indeed lower operating costs, then the opposite will be true and more companies will do the same. But that's not what is happening. Government will force changes, subsidize costs, and everyone will be forced to pay more for just about everything. That's the only way it makes sense is when you get tax benefits, subsidies, free parking, or whatever. That's exactly what Chris said above. The only reason he bought ev Jeep thing was because of the thousands in subsidies. So now we are all going to help Amazon and other billion dollar corporations buy thousands of ev vehicles? And then continue forcing those changes so there is no longer a choice to individuals? That's not how things should work imo.

#678 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

Considering your entire post is essentially fantasy, I would agree, that's not how things should work... How did business transition when we moved from horse and buggy to gas powered fuels? Businesses certainly didn't build their own gas stations (yes I am well aware there are exceptions to that statement but you get my point I hope). As the charging infrastructure matures, so will the adoption of EVs for all use cases. The question continues to be miles driven in a day and whether or not that number exceeds your mornings available range. We went through this before, 110 years or so ago...
The rest of your rant about subsidies and such is farcical at best... Do you have any idea how many billions in subsidies oil extraction and refinement get in a year??? Come on...
Jeff

How is it fantasy to talk about costs? Horse and buggy? Oil subsidies? What are you on about? It costs money to replace one family vehicle or an entire fleet of commercial vehicles whether it's ev or ice. Yes? Some cars cost more than other cars. Don't think you can argue that. More expensive cars generally are nice but not everyone can afford them. Businesses price their goods/services on cost of doing business. Think everyone gets that. EV cars need charging solutions and that also costs money. A business with 200 ev cars will need ways to charge them. Yes? Same for people that park in the street or live in apartments. It costs money to install chargers up and down every street and in every parking spot. But whatever. Guess I will go out and buy a Tesla then. Thought it was expensive and cannot afford it but that's just fantasy talk.

#699 2 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Seriously. You Tesla/EV haters sound like cavemen. It’s comical. The fact is, I’ve driven a Tesla for four years. I never worry about range or charge time. When I do have to stop for *five minutes* to get gas in my highlander it feels like an unbelievable inconvenience. Trust me that when you (yes, YOU will be driving an ev someday soon) charge your ev overnight you’ll understand that you have embarrassed yourselves in this thread.
My Tesla is literally NEVER on empty. You don’t let it happen

I think some of the blowback comes fron your statements that everyone will be driving ev vehicles soon. Right now the only way I am buying ev anytime soon is by force and I can see that happening. That disturbs me. I believe in choice. If ev works for you, great. But that may not work for everyone. What about people that live in apartments and do not have chargers? Even with a house you can have a lot of cars with whole family driving. Cars are often parked in the street where I live. Ev just doesn't work for some people.

#772 2 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

It's interesting I have had my Model 3 since they were first delivered to Canada. I have never super charged it once that I felt I had to wait for it. Every time I have been to a super charger I was like ok I have been on the highway for 4 hours I need to take a break from this car and stretch my legs. It was exactly the same as I would have done in a regular car. The car charges fast enough that its ready to go when I am. 99% of the time I charge at work or home it only the occasional road trips I have ever need a super charger. Your looking at like 20 minutes for an 8 hour drive. Are you ICE guys like pissing in a bottle and hitting the gas station like its a nascar pit stop?

Kinda, yeah. I did lot of driving past two days visiting colleges with my daughter. I didn't have to plan where to stop, monitor range, or anything like that. When fuel low light came on dash, I simply stopped at next convenient station, filled up in less than a minute, and was back on my way covering hundreds more miles. If we need restrooms, that only takes a few extra minutes. I know charging times are fast but they are not that fast. Nothing against ev cars but just saying.

#790 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

Gas is on the way to $4/gallon. Electricity is steady at .12 /kWh. Most American made cars in the US. Navigation does all the “planning”. Just saying.

Yup. Fuel costs do add up but the hefty premium you pay for ev does pay for a lot of gas. I never understood the concept of spending a lot of money to save a little money. If you are that concerned about costs, buy a very small, basic, cheap, reliable ice car. Drive it for 15+ years and then buy another. Why would you buy anything else? Answer of course is that we all want different things in cars and have different needs. Sometimes we just want something exciting that makes driving more enjoyable. My daily is a manual transmission. Automatic is far superior in every way but I rather have a manual since it's more fun to drive. There is no one size fits all with cars.

1 week later
#870 2 years ago
Quoted from galore2112:

But isn’t that the core of the problem? Tesla is worth hundreds of billions, the CEO is the richest man on this planet and yet they don’t staff their service centers (which there are not that many around) to provide satisfactory customer service?
I have a 2019 Model3P and it will be my first and last Tesla.
Mostly because if I spend $60k+ on a car, I expect better customer service.
My other vehicles are a Porsche Macan and a BMW Z4 and while their dealerships charge a lot of money, I get service in return which isn’t even a possibility with Tesla. My next EV will be the electric Macan, not a Tesla.
I do hope that Tesla releases the Cybertruck eventually because it’ll be fun seeing them in traffic. Something totally different for a change. I won’t buy one though.

Does Tesla own and operate all the service centers? Thought they would be like all the other dealers that are privately owned and there are laws against manufacturers selling directly. Although, you would think there would be some kind of overall effort for better service since that can make or break the car owning experience. As long as people keep buying their cars it really doesn't matter in the end.

#875 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

Our service experience couldn’t be better. Schedule through an app and they drive to your house (50 miles in my case) to make the repairs.
What else could you ask for?

That is pretty awesome. Sounds like a sucky job, though. I imagine most people would schedule service at their work. Cars could be in a tight garage, out in the elements, out in the street, or who knows where.

1 year later
#1052 12 months ago
Quoted from galore2112:

If this thing flops, I’m going to be disappointed. I so want to see these cute-ugly stainless steel contraptions on the streets in Dallas.
Please Tesla, get the Cyberthingie out the door asap. I’m bored by all these black/grey/white SUVs and trucks in Texas.

I'm with you in spirit but I don't know if my eyes can take it. Tesla went so far past the so ugly it's cute/cool into the plaid of ugliness.

5 months later
#1184 6 months ago
Quoted from shambles:

Hmm, a Chevy Utility..
Like Australia had for the last 50 or so years?
Would you like the LS2 Version with 430HP. or a 630 HP LS9 variant ( super charged HSV )
https://www.drive.com.au/reviews/short-haul-holden-commodore-ss-ute/
The USA was going to get these, and Chevy actually chickened out.
[quoted image]

We did get some Holdens over here. Pontiac G8/GTO and Chevy SS. Problem is none of them sold all that well.

1 month later
#1234 4 months ago
Quoted from LeMansFan:

Saw two of these on the road the other day while driving around Fremont near the Tesla factory.
Will I be downvoted like crazy if I’m honest and say they were the ugliest trucks I’ve ever seen??? Like on the level of Pontiac Aztec ugly. Fugly.

It seems like you either love it or hate it. I agree - worst design ever. I reserve final opinion until I see one in person but some of those camera angles like the 3/4 from the rear are just the worst. Wheels are the worst I have ever seen. Things like the windshield vertical windshield wiper obstructing your view is terrible. Everything I hear about this thing doesn't sound good at all. It's going to look even worse once you put some miles on those things where the plastics fade, a few dings in the flat sides, and the usual wear and tear.

#1264 4 months ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Prices live on website. $60k to 99k. 60k to get it in 2025, 80k to get it in 2024 with more goodies.
https://www.tesla.com/cybertruck/design#payment

Thought they were supposed to be cheaper than that. That's my biggest problem with ev cars. So expensive.

#1269 4 months ago
Quoted from jellikit:

Full review and drag racing for anyone interested.

I was just going to post that. Very interesting. It's ugly but it can sure shift. Very impressed with the strong body structure.

#1274 4 months ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Not all models are that expensive. The thing with the current line of EVs is that most of them are aimed at the "luxury" market. Even the trucks, at least at this point. But big SUVs and loaded F150s can hit $100,000+. The people who buy those trucks are who these are aimed at. They *are* still cheaper.
The Model 3 can be had for slightly over $30K. That's a sedan, but it's still WAY less than I just paid for my wife's Mazda CV-50, for example. (not a direct comparison obviously).

Really hate the argument that because some other truck costs $100k then one at $80k is a great deal. Both are stupid expensive. Long range Model3 is still close to $50k. Any other decent ev seems to get well north of $50k. Cybertruck included. Ford F150 lightning was supposed to be cheap but also north of $50k. Short range and more basic ev's might be slightly cheaper but still expensive compared to other basic ice cars. Most ev's are luxury cars because they are already expensive to begin with.

#1292 4 months ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I’d argue that’s cherrypicking - “decent EV”. But based on what criteria? Range? I guess?
Totally agree the 80-100K trucks are stupid expensive - I just meant it’s the same group of people who are willing to pay that much for a gas engine truck are being sold similarly priced EV trucks

Mostly range but it is largely what you get for the money. I don't see the point of having an ev with a range of 200 miles or less. People often compare ev vehicles to other high priced premium vehicles. That's fine for the luxury market but not everyone is in that market. Instead of being able to buy something like a Toyota Camry or Honda Accord for less than $30k you will have to spend $15k-$20k more to get an ev. Trucks have just got ridiculous so I guess Cybertruck perfect fit for that market.

4 weeks later
#1377 3 months ago
Quoted from John_I:

This is smart. There is basically no arguing the fact that no one wants a car that is the same color as every other one on the road. Not to mention that basically any color looks better than the raw stainless refrigerator look. The two best looking Delorians I ever saw were both painted black.

Genius. You make people pay $6500 for color that you normally get included with cost of vehicle. You can then hit the customer up again when wrap starts weathering/peeling.

#1391 3 months ago
Quoted from bob_e:

The Cybertruck achieved less than 80% of Tesla's advertised range in a YouTuber's highway test during Texas winter.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/the-cybertruck-achieved-less-than-80-of-tesla-s-advertised-range-in-a-youtuber-s-highway-test-during-texas-winter/ar-AA1mwqLa?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=DCTS&cvid=a02871de672447d1aa6542431ace9886&ei=14
I wonder how it would to in northern Minnesota? like Frost Bite Falls

How does that compare to other ev's? It's a given than cold weather shortens the range. Mileage always varies with any car depending on conditions.

#1401 3 months ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Cybertruck thread boys. Cybertruck. Just saying. Do you kids have to pollute EVERY EV thread with your old man yelling at clouds crap? We get it. You love gas. We’re all lemmings. Enough already.

So what's the real world range of the cybertruck? Some are reporting far less than factory stated range but not sure if those are under less than ideal conditions.

3 weeks later
#1462 84 days ago
Quoted from Mleiter:

I do not see how that is enforceable. I know this is supposed to combat price gouging, but what about people that run into financial difficulties or need cash for medical problems? People their sell expensive toys all the time, why is this any different?

They probably have some way out if life happens like the manufacturer buying back the car at cost and not inflated value. This sort of thing has been done before like MrBally noted. Ferrari has done it a lot as well.

I actually like the idea. Dealers should not charge over msrp and consumers should not buy just to flip. Keep it fair until manufacturing can have a chance to catch up with demand.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Canton, TX
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bellefonte, PA
$ 34.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 45.95
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jawjaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tesla-cybertruck?tu=jawjaw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.