IMG_2898 (resized).JPG
IMG_2900 (resized).JPG
Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 7.04.17?AM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 7.04.26?AM (resized).png
Screenshot_20240131_100420_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
IMG_1679 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1678 (resized).jpeg
giphy-5.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider darscot.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#323 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Reread my post below. While driving on I-275 near Detroit near a major junction of three freeways, the electronics completely shut down, except for the "engines" and brakes. I was about to use my turn signal as I needed to get over two lanes to enter a different highway in a mile (1.62Km). No turn signals. In an instant, the display went dark. Music shut off, climate control shut down. I could not safely operate the vehicle to exit to where I needed to go. I did not know this was a reboot when it happened the first time.
Those 20-30 seconds before the display just started to show the Tesla logo seemed like forever on a crowded highway that was still moving at 60-70 MPH (100-115KPH). This is why I asked if the headlights will stay on or not as I would not want to be driving at night in that situation.
When my "old school" ICE car has a major failure, I usually get an idiot light or more. I kinda like it when the dash board looks like a pinball machine where both the Specials and Extra Ball lights come on along with other feature lights lighting up. At least I know the car is somewhat alive. I was not about to pull the driver card out of my pocket and hold it by the console to attempt to "restart" the car. At least when it happened again a couple weeks later, I just kept my cool. I believe if this happens to more than a few vehicles in somewhat of a pattern, there could be a service campaign or worse to correct this.

You appear to be confusing the entertainment and display system with the actual computer running the car. They are not connected and run completely independently. Tesla needs a better job explaining this to people. The car is still 100% functional when the screen goes down. All driving functions including the signal lights still work you just don't hear the tick tock through the stereo. I reboot mine on the go all the time, its completely safe.

#328 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I have decided nobody here can or will answer a question about parts availability and how long it takes to get them.
Whether you are in the repair business, or only own one vehicle, it is kind of important to know.

There were some issues with the 3 when they were using every part they could manufacture because they had years of reservations. You going to wait a little longer than for a Toyota that has been in production for 30 years. This whole thing that parts don't exist is completely disingenuous and text book FUD. I had some issues with my 3 and it was at launch and they still had the parts and came to me and fixed it faster than my wife could get her BMW in for a service.

P.S. That anyone could say with a straight face that they got it right on a Prius is pretty funny.

#330 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Thanks! That is what I wanted to know. I'm just looking for the facts now.
They come to you to do repairs. So what if it is something major like if the car has been in an accident? I google and see several locations that say Tesla in my area, so should I assume that is where it gets fixed? What if there is not one in your area?

Tesla has a standard they want at a body shop and recommend you take it to an approved repair location. Just like every car manufacture on the planet if there is not a decent body shop close by you have to go to one, they don't come to you.

#346 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

I had no idea that the turn signals were working and I needed to change lanes in heavy, but still moving fast Detroit style traffic. Since I did not know the turn signal was working, I stayed in my lane and went a couple of miles out of my way and turned around. By that time the computer rebooted and the car was normal again.
When the display went blank on me a few weeks later, I was just driving straight minding my own business so it rebooted and I drove on without a problem.

Your not alone lots of people react strangely to it. The screen going black is about the equivalent of turning off the stereo and climate control in a regular car. I have no idea why people think the infotainment unit controls the car, its just a display with some basic secondary controls.

#372 4 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I don't think that too many understand the tesla's have 2 computer systems (for one the vehicle and one for the display) and I think that's one of the things that ford may have gotten right with the mach-e.
I'm hoping that the secondary display (which is located in front of the driver, where we've become accustomed to looking) is connected to the car's driving system so that in the event of a infotainment failure you still have some sort of display.

That would be a very poor and dangerous design. If the systems are coupled a failing display or infotainment system could compromise the car. These systems are separate for very good reason.

#377 4 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I think you misinterpreted my original reply. if the tesla's infotainment system goes out, you lose all display information. what I was stating was that since the ford mach-e has 2 displays (one in the traditional in front of the steering wheel configuration) and a 2nd ipad like infotainment display.
so, if the infotainment system goes out you still wouldn't lose the instrumentation display

I guess its just me but I've never really understood this whole dependency on instruments in a car. People act like you trying to land a plane in dense fog. What I care about are oil pressure and temperature, a tach is nice but I have ears so its not in any way essential. Since none of these exist on an EV I really don't understand why people panic when the infortainment goes down. Tesla forums have plenty of threads of people freaking out over it and almost crashing. I guess its the same sort of thing when people have panic attacks when losing signal or charge on a phone.

2 years later
#628 2 years ago

What kind of Masters Degree is Electric Vehicle Engineering, what faculty is your bachelors?

#711 2 years ago
Quoted from pins4u:

No - it's a REAL picture - do your homework. It is a charging station on the Nullabor Plains in Australia where they don't have (and probably NEVER will have) mains power.
EVs simply are not suitable for some places.

It's too bad the sun never shines in Australia.

#746 2 years ago

It's so weird the hate people have on EV, maybe its just the weirdness of the internet. This thread reminds me of the Ricky Gervais bit about those homemade signs with the little tabs with the phone number that says call for guitar lessons. Then calling the person just to shit on them that you don't like guitar and don't want any lessons. Clearly some of you do not want an EV and believe it is very difficult to access electricity. Why are you in the the Tesla Cyber Truck thread?

#752 2 years ago

It's interesting I have had my Model 3 since they were first delivered to Canada. I have never super charged it once that I felt I had to wait for it. Every time I have been to a super charger I was like ok I have been on the highway for 4 hours I need to take a break from this car and stretch my legs. It was exactly the same as I would have done in a regular car. The car charges fast enough that its ready to go when I am. 99% of the time I charge at work or home it only the occasional road trips I have ever need a super charger. Your looking at like 20 minutes for an 8 hour drive. Are you ICE guys like pissing in a bottle and hitting the gas station like its a nascar pit stop?

#756 2 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

So your model 3 can get a full charge in 20 minutes with a range of 334 miles ??? I never heard that before
Tell what is the optimum speed you drive to get to the advertised 334 miles? 267 miles on standard battery.
Example of driving thru and pit stops. 4 college kids leave Ann Arbor to got to Miami for spring break rotating drivers. its a little about 1350 miles or twenty hours. I doubt they want to stop four times for an hour to get a full recharge if the have the extended range battery.
Yes, I have driven straight thru on several long trips with two to four drivers.

I’m Canadian so I think in Metric. My car has a 500km range. Our highways have generally a 100km per hour speed limit. My car has peaked out at 1000km per hour super charge rate. So 400km can be done in around 20 min. Start fully charged drive 4 hours super charge for 20 min and drive another 4 hours. I would still have plenty of range to spare. It’s great that you have a situation that you need to rotate drivers and drive non stop around the clock. I’m glad there are cars available that fit your needs. If we want to talk extreme I could hypermile for crazy time and distance.

P.S. The 24 hour record for a Model 3 is something like 2800km I think that should be good enough for most people.

#805 2 years ago

I love the Tesla recall headlines, they are just so gloriously fear mongering. All manufacturers have them with Tesla they are usually patched over the air before the story even hits the internet. It is an area that they are easily the best in the industry and they endless try and spin it as a negative.

#807 2 years ago
Quoted from unclerudy:

I think any recall of any vehicle should be mentioned, no matter who makes it. And it should be fixed. There shouldn't be any recalls to begin with.

I totally agree. How hard is it to build something and account for all possible permutations of the future. I think it's just those damn union workers are lazy.

#812 2 years ago
Quoted from unclerudy:

That's not what I said. Things should be designed correctly, and tested for failures, before being released. It's cheaper to catch errors earlier in the process, than to fix them in the field with a recall.
My job as an engineer is to properly design things, find the faults that could occur, and make sure that they are caught before production. It's also my job to make sure that diagnostics are there to catch failures in the field, and make sure failures are minimized. If something has to be recalled, someone missed something in the process, be it the software guy who wrote the code, the mechanical guy who didn't have his tolerances right, the guy on the line who didn't put it together the right way, or anyone else who could have touched it at some point.

That is what I am saying all those humans not being perfect all day everyday it's just lazy. If only you could preform a recall over the air.

#832 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballizfun:

remember tesla owners say they don't require any maintenance. Therefore the wheels must never need aligning or replacing.

I know people think Tesla's are the car of the future but did you not realize they roll on the road? I wonder if there is any existing infrastructure available to support vehicles that have wheels.

#865 2 years ago

Pretty standard for anyone that owns a business to run their vehicles through the business. I'm Canadian but every small business owner I know cycles their vehicles every couple of years. It would be very unusual if a successful business didn't do that.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 18.95
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Valdosta, GA
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 34.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

4,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Crescent Springs, KE
$ 45.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RavSpec

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bellefonte, PA
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider darscot.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tesla-cybertruck?tu=darscot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.