IMG_2898 (resized).JPG
IMG_2900 (resized).JPG
Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 7.04.17?AM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 7.04.26?AM (resized).png
Screenshot_20240131_100420_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
IMG_1679 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1678 (resized).jpeg
giphy-5.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Reality_Studio.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#148 4 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

You might want head lights.

It has a light bar in the front, just watch videos of the reveal.

Quoted from f3honda4me:

I pre ordered one. We love our model S and the truck would be perfect to replace our SUV which only hauls pins and my boat.

I'm not a truck guy but this does look very intriguing. We love our X and 3 and the legacy car makers are all non starters for us because of things like no autopilot and no supercharging network hence we have zero interest in them as they are so many years behind. But this would be tempting especially since the specs are so good especially given the price! It also looks like it will be very customizable, I'd definitely throw a wrap on this if I got one. The marketing is pure genius though, just about the entire internet is talking about it. It matches my Model 3's 0-60 in 2.9 seconds time which is fascinating given how much this must weigh, so at the same time it makes me wonder if that three motor setup will ever makes it's way into a future Model 3 or Model Y. At first the look did shock me but man it's growing on me more and more.

EDIT: Attached a pic of the matte black version, ok kinda looks rad in that color. Need to tell myself that I don't need this...

3-7zUxBZK (resized).jpg3-7zUxBZK (resized).jpg
#205 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

I drive the Model 3 we have as a pool car at my job (dual motor) every few weeks. While it has insane acceleration, I have no issue going back to my Audi.
I have also had two incidents where the electronics completely shut down (But engine kept running and both pedals worked properly) for 20-30 seconds. Then the display slowly rebooted and the climate control came back to life. Both times were during the day. Not sure how the exterior lighting would have reacted if it would have happened at night.
It does not work well for long trips. Recently, a co-worker became stranded for six hours as the vehicle led him to a Supercharger that was still under construction and he did not have enough power to get to the next or back to the prior one. He had to use the 115v cord at a fire station for those six hours.

You'd want to avoid gas cars if you are worried about being stranded as they have thousands of more parts that can and do fail, like the alternator dying on my Dodge Magnum SRT8 for example.

Likewise you'd want to avoid gas cars as their infotainment systems also have issues, difference being for example when the one in my Camaro freaked out I couldn't reboot it on the fly like you can in a Tesla. Instead I had to pull off the highway, shut off the car, exit the car, get back in, restart the car and then in worked again so I can complete business on the phone.

Likewise with gas cars you are mostly stuck with what you get as they don't update themselves, whereas my Tesla auto updated to fix the issue which also includes free map updates by the way, something that Chevy is still happy to charge me for in 2019 which is comical. Oh and I got more horsepower in the update

Finally, electric cars are better for long drives for me because of auto pilot. I now do longer drives whereas I used to avoid them because now I can kick in auto pilot on the highway and the car takes me there, it's glorious. Superchargers are everywhere so we grab a bite and my phone tells me when the car is charged and off we go. Media that are in the pocket of short sellers or oil investors will tell you it takes hours to charge but they lie, it does't take anywhere near that long. Oh and I got 1000 free charging miles with my car purchase, so all my charging on trips has been free so far. Tesla's are the perfect road trip car for us.

Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Take a classic futuristic looking sports car like this.
[quoted image]
Make it quicker. (Possibly faster). More ground clearance. Tow a trailer. Hold your tools.
[quoted image]

My wife actually did say it reminder her of a Countach with all the angles.

Quoted from BC_Gambit:

FWIW I agree with this. Truck guys and gals seem brand loyal beyond belief. When I need a "new to me" vehicle I look at what I want, in combination with what has the best reliability and the best pricing.
For some reason with trucks, people just keep buying the same one over and over again even if the last one was a piece of crap.
This is obviously a small sample size, but we have family friends who bought a new Ford F-150, they had lots of problems with it, they seemed really unhappy with it, so obviously they traded it in for another newer Ford F150. At least they seem happier with the new one, even if the loan on it must have been enormous.

It's definitely a different market which I'm guessing is why they went radical. Ultimately though the only people that matter are those that actually spend money on new cars. I've said this on car forums in the past when purists scream and complain, where I've said purists don't matter because they don't by new cars so they don't contribute to a car companies bottom line. Hence when purists screamed that the new at the time Porsche suv looked like garbage and was a stupid idea I said y'all don't matter, you don't spend money on new cars, people that actually spend money on cars will decide if it's the right car and it went on to be their best seller. Likewise here, always lots of haters that never buy new cars will say stuff sucks but what they think is irrelevant. It's like listening to what a vegan thinks about a new steak house. Instead we'll have to wait and see what people that do spend money decide do to. So far with 146k+ orders it seems like it'll do well. Plus we have to remember Tesla is still mostly illegal to sell in the USA, only a few states allow people to buy them, foreign markets though are much more open to the company so that will be the big money going forward, I wonder how this will do in those markets.

Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Can’t wait to get it ., 500 mile range , Superchargers , atv thAt charges in the back , roomy interior , self driving .. no more fumes ! I hate fumes as soon as I get this our Tahoe
Is going . That thing stinks up my garage in less then 5 seconds . I hope it has same filter as model x

Yeah we love our Tesla's! We chart our car expenditures for various business reasons, and we calculated they save us around $6300 in gas yearly. No more gas anxiety as well, always drove me nuts when I'd have to run to a shoot or quick meetup and the car was low on gas then I'd have to waste time going to fill up, no more fumes in the garage, etc, no looking back. I don't know if I'd get this truck as I really don't have a use for a truck, but it looks unique enough that it is tempting. Plus I find it fun to smoke exotic cars in my little Model 3 in the real world since paper performance stats on gas cars are mostly fiction, it would be even more fun to do it in a truck that looks like this lol.

#252 4 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

I would love to know what % of these convert to real sales. Doubt it’s even 10%. I knew lots of people who reserved a 3 for $1k and never converted.

They had over 455,000 reservations by end of 2017, and by around October 2018 they sold all 100,000 vehicles that they made. By your math they should have sold only 45,000 or so and then had endless unsold cars sitting on lots and yet they continued selling every car they could make long after that, eventually becoming the best selling passenger sedan. Would I expect then to sell 100% of the reservations? Of course not, but history shows their cars have huge demand even though various old media loves to portray them having a demand problem because it fits their narrative.

Quoted from o-din:

Like my 2001 Tacoma with 200,000 miles on it that has never left me stranded?
Tell us how your Tesla is holding up in 20 years and if you can still get parts for it. I'll still be driving the same Tacoma.
Oh yeah, I forgot, some have said they can't even get parts for their Tesla now.

As someone else mentioned you have a gas car so you are dependent on thousands of parts that electric cars don't need. But more importantly given that you don't buy new cars, why would any car maker ever care to cater to you?

Quoted from rai:

OMG that's a big issue, my neighbor owns an auto body shop and he said Tesla is impossible to get replacement parts for, my co worker had an accident not a bad wreck mostly bumper and hood damage but the car was in the shop for 4-5 months. Also I hear they total very easy with slight accidents.. My other co-woerker had a slightly bad accident but not that bad and they just totaled the car. Both were Tesla S.
https://www.sfgate.com/cars/article/tesla-repair-wait-time-complaints-electric-car-13796037.php

If you want to go anecdotal, our Model X got rear ended by a gas burner with no autopilot, and yet we had the car all back all repaired in 3 weeks. It took me longer to wait for recall parts for my Chevy.

Quoted from MrBally:

I'm in the market for another vehicle, but not in a super hurry. I looked at a Model 3 but it doesn't work for me. Maybe in 10-15 years.

That's fine, I'm certainly not saying their cars are for everyone. But your comment of them being bad for long trips is silly. Also as someone else likely mentioned, you can reboot a Tesla at anytime even while driving, it doesn't affect safety. I'm guessing people are thinking the lights don't work or the car will crash because of some false article put out by old media, but whatever it's almost impossible to fight the fud out there. I suppose not surprising with a company that's shorted around 30%, far too much profit to be made from the death of an American company.

Good news is young folk don't fall for any of this crap and they show huge interest in Tesla which is awesome, and I love fielding all their questions and interest to it when they ask. Old folk still think my Model 3 is a 100k foreign car but whatever, let them live in their cloud of ignorance.

On a side note, i have some friends who are from Texas with their hubby always driving trucks and he actually wants the Tesla truck. More surprising is that they have many friends and family back home in Texas wanting one. Color me surprised! I figure it must be a hit though once Jim Cramer came out and predicted it will be a bomb.

#255 4 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Not when it comes to predicting the (often ridiculous) actions of other humans it isn't.
More than one Pedestrian has paid the price already.

Actually that's exactly where code excels. With unpredictable behavior a human on the receiving end will react in all sorts of unpredictable and often fatal ways including doing the wrong thing, reacting too late or even freezing up and doing nothing at all. An ai can run through endless permutations and scenarios to a more successful outcome.

#279 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Reread my post below. While driving on I-275 near Detroit near a major junction of three freeways, the electronics completely shut down, except for the "engines" and brakes. I was about to use my turn signal as I needed to get over two lanes to enter a different highway in a mile (1.62Km). No turn signals. In an instant, the display went dark. Music shut off, climate control shut down. I could not safely operate the vehicle to exit to where I needed to go. I did not know this was a reboot when it happened the first time.
Those 20-30 seconds before the display just started to show the Tesla logo seemed like forever on a crowded highway that was still moving at 60-70 MPH (100-115KPH). This is why I asked if the headlights will stay on or not as I would not want to be driving at night in that situation.
When my "old school" ICE car has a major failure, I usually get an idiot light or more. I kinda like it when the dash board looks like a pinball machine where both the Specials and Extra Ball lights come on along with other feature lights lighting up. At least I know the car is somewhat alive. I was not about to pull the driver card out of my pocket and hold it by the console to attempt to "restart" the car. At least when it happened again a couple weeks later, I just kept my cool. I believe if this happens to more than a few vehicles in somewhat of a pattern, there could be a service campaign or worse to correct this.

I guess you got unlucky and got a bad Model 3, but believe it or not there are bad gas cars out there as well that fail without warning, they don't always show a magical dash light to let you know things are about to fail. And by the numbers it will happen far more often on legacy cars for the simple reason that they have far more parts to fail. Regardless, claiming electric cars are bad for long drives because they will leave you stranded is still a silly claim. I mean hell just driving to Vegas I'll see a dozen gas cars knocked out on the side of the road, stranded. It's not surprising, they have so many parts that can fail.

Also just fyi, you do not need to pull out the driver card for a Model 3 to restart it. In fact you don't need it at all, I only keep it to hand to valet. Just hold down both buttons on the steering, even while the car is moving, and the software resets.

Quoted from jawjaw:

??? Maybe take the tin foil hat off. I don't get why everyone has to make all of this political.

The political lean for old media channels is extremely easy to determine actually, for any channel mind you be it Fox, MSNBC, etc. As usual it's about the data. I won't get into it in detail, but look around and you'll find data for example showing how often certain topics are covered by certain channels, etc. Look at the data on a graph and it become staggeringly obvious how biased many "news" channels are, and how obvious it becomes that they have an agenda. Keep in mind this isn't just for politics, it's also to sway public opinion to their narrative on whatever topic they like, and keep in mind this mind trick isn't only done by the usual suspect channels. The reason this mind trick works so effectively on the older demographic is that they primary watch cable news. For example, the median age of viewers for CNN is 61, 65 for MSNBC, 66 for Fox. That's why that older demographic is so easy to sway and often comes across as having bizarre views not in touch with reality. This trick doesn't work as effectively on the younger demographic because they get their news from elsewhere and from multiple sources.

Quoted from jawjaw:

I also don't get why the vast majority of electric cars have to be weird, or flat out ugly looking. I thought Tesla nailed it with the Model S and kinda with Model 3. Those look like normal, functional, attractive cars. How do you go from that to some flat panel, ugly pickup truck?

Because they don't want you to buy them. Legacy auto makers make what are called "compliance cars", they made electric cars to make it seem like they are actually trying to do so to political figures and to the public. But they in no way wanted you to ever buy them. To ensure that they made they look like clown cars, saddled them with all sorts of limitations and priced they stupidly to make sure buying one made no sense. On top of that they fight to make sure no one else can sell them as well with lobbyists and money, and also they make sure to obfuscate every detail possible about electric cars to make sure the masses are fully confused and/or have false information about them. That's why in 2019 we still have people that think a Model 3 costs 100k, takes endless hours to charge, catches on fire every 3 minutes, is made by a foreign country, has only 40 miles of range, is slow, etc, etc, etc. Hell even when we had our Model X repaired at our local authorized Tesla repair shop, the old lady behind the counter commented how our car was "a foreign car. I'm not making that up, it's absolutely insane! Legacy automakers also still fight hard, successfully so far, to make sure that companies like Tesla cannot sell their ironically more American made car in America itself. They also fought hard to make sure there was no standard charging network setup around the country, that's why the current charging network is so sparse and such a colossal mess of standards, speeds and payment methods.

There's lots of reasons why they do this but to keep it simple I'll focus on one, and it's because there is far too much money to be made with the thousands of parts needed to keep ice cars running. When you buy a gas car they have you on the hook for years, because everything in there is built to fail. Sure parts don't fail as often as they used to but they got around that by simple raising the price of parts and labor to a staggering amount. Your purchase of a gas car does not end at the bill of sale, they have you on the hook for as long as you own the car, you are an atm they can pull from regularly as they know the myriad of parts in cars will ultimately break.

Enter Tesla who wasn't saddled with any of these things, and in a mere 7 years they built out an entire fast supercharging network worldwide along with cars that smoke exotics and yet run on electrons. They actually did it and as a side bonus for once we did it with a home grown American company. That's why their cars didn't look like compliance cars, because they actually wanted to sell them. As for why the Cybertruck looks so different, I explained that in an earlier post but you can watch that video by MKBHD as well, he explains it nicely.

#291 4 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I guess electric car guys think completely different. An ugly car is an ugly car in my book. A 63 Corvette is a beautiful car. An 83 Corvette not so much. Which you think is more desirable today?

That's subjective though. I was around 12 (the impressionable years) when the '83 Vette came out and hence I love it. Faceman after all drove one in the A-Team. Then again I'd also happy cruise pch in an 80's convetible IROC-Z, another car that was around in my impressionable years which many deem hideous. Your age and what you grew up with I suspect has a huge impact on what you think is ugly.

#318 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Typically, when someone gives an alternate opinion on pinside that does not reinforce their views, they are called trolls and told to get lost.

I don't buy EM pinball machines, what if I just posted snarky "EM's are shit" comments over and over and over and over again in Pinside EM threads, wouldn't you question why I was even there?

I'll go ahead and add something interesting that was probably missed by many and to me is hugely important. Elon very quickly said "Over 250kw charging, but we'll talk about that at a later date", did anyone catch that? That's huge because it implies new battery tech. The Model 3 (currently their best battery) tops at 250kw charge rate meaning this truck should have a new battery, perhaps using tech they gained from their purchase of Maxwell. I'm actually more interested in this new battery than the truck itself really because it applies to all future Tesla models.

#326 4 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

You appear to be confusing the entertainment and display system with the actual computer running the car. They are not connected and run completely independently. Tesla needs a better job explaining this to people. The car is still 100% functional when the screen goes down. All driving functions including the signal lights still work you just don't hear the tick tock through the stereo. I reboot mine on the go all the time, its completely safe.

We're wasting our time here. They have already decided that the cars are unsafe, that they apparently go right to landfill after being sold rather than to another driver, and that no parts will ever be available. Time to move on.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Austin, TX
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RavSpec

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Knoxville, TN
$ 45.95
Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

4,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Crescent Springs, KE
$ 18.95
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 34.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 125.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Reality_Studio.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tesla-cybertruck?tu=Reality_Studio and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.