IMG_2898 (resized).JPG
IMG_2900 (resized).JPG
Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 7.04.17?AM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 7.04.26?AM (resized).png
Screenshot_20240131_100420_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
IMG_1679 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1678 (resized).jpeg
giphy-5.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 4 years ago

Hard to say what market they’re aiming for here, but I guarantee this truck will sell out. People will buy it BECAUSE it looks so unique. I’m a little surprised they didn’t price it higher as a result.

Just watched the glass breaking part. What a bunch of nothing. The glass cracked, whoop de doo. I don’t get the uproar

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

It looks like it's specifically designed to kill pedestrians, cyclists, motorcyclists and decapitate anyone in a small car that rear ends it.
I don't see how that design is going to get approval outside the US market.

I knew I’d seen it before - Death race 2000!

#49 4 years ago

I am curious to see what changes get made to the design once it starts shipping. Serious or not, this was a brilliant marketing move.

1 year later
#548 2 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

It's been very long since the release. Tesla may not get this out before there are a lot of options.

None of the manufacturers are producing very many right now - and haven’t they sold out for the next 2 years already?

I was thinking about going in on a Lordstown.. what a disaster that turned out to be. More Deeproot than Skit-B

#550 2 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

I would suggest mainstream options Ford F-150. GM with E -Silverado and E-Hummer.
Tesla has no dealer network and very few repair centers in Michigan, so why buy a truck that has no history little support, and many delays.
And then there is Rivian.

#1 reason IMO is the unbelievable complexity in finding charging stations. Tesla has their charging stations clearly mapped out and in a single app, and if they are open, they are open. The other manufacturers are depending on 3rd party chargers AND 3rd party apps and data, so you can run into situations where you drive somewhere to charge up, and find the station is closed. In areas which are not densely supported, you could be screwed.

I'm not driving cross-country on a regular basis, but this article gave me pause:
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a36877585/ev-1000-11-electric-cars-long-distance-race/

7 months later
#930 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:9,000-ton Giga Press for the Cybertruck’s body.
maybe several months until it is in Austin, then it has to be set up, tooling will have to be tested and adjusted. Stainless steel sheet metal does not press the into formed panels like regular carbon steel alloys.
[quoted image]

I saw a fascinating news story about this, which goes into detail about *why* the truck looks the way it looks, and how much money it saves Tesla to not have to create all the custom forms and presses for the vehicle. The body is mainly formed from a single piece of sheet metal, and bent into place (again, instead of being pressed into a form) and it's way faster and saves huge amounts of time and money. This is how they were able to get to the price point and still include all those other features.

3 weeks later
#968 1 year ago
Quoted from MrBally:

East Penn Manufacturing Company, Lyon Station, PA.

Redwood Materials, CA

5 months later
#994 1 year ago
Quoted from johnnyutah:How do you like the yoke steering wheel? That’s the one thing I’m worried about if I get my Cyber Truck.

It's weird, and I haven't figured out how to do a 180 with only 1 hand, but you get used to it. I prefer the circular wheel but really it hardly ever is an issue.

#996 1 year ago
Quoted from cliff_clavin:

worse comes to worse, you can always swap it out with a regular wheel.....

Yeap. That's what I'm saying though - it's an adjustment, but not worth messing with IMO

#998 1 year ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Its awesome, I love it. If for some reason you dont, you can easily find third party attachments that make it like a regular steering wheel.
Yoke is fun to hang on to when I drive fast... its like "ohhh shiittt!" as you hang on for life.

Lol I did not know there are the 3rd party attachments . Ok, maybe I’ll take a look…

3 months later
#1030 12 months ago
Quoted from paynemic:

It’s actually great. The overall truck is cool. I just realized I hate driving giant vehicles. As trucks go, the lightning isn’t bad. Freaking fast (for a pickup)!

I'm strongly considering going in on one soon - what model did you go for? I live in a terribly unfriendly urban area where parking that beast will be a nightmare... but I also don't need to drive downtown much (let's hear it for public transportation)

#1038 11 months ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Yes. But that’s pretty much it for the “luxury” items. It’s honestly got the features on my base level rav4. I’m not being dramatic. All I got was the badging and nice two toned leather.

And I’m guessing the base model lightning is still pretty much MIA(?)

#1042 11 months ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Too little, too late.....
Tesla's market value contunues to suffer.

Hardly because of the Cybertruck! Lol

#1049 11 months ago
Quoted from bob_e:

You can, they are called DELORIANS.

DMC is back making Deloreans again.. the new model costs $100,000!!

#1051 11 months ago
Quoted from bob_e:

For a while they made a few out of leftover parts. Now an EV estimated price $175,000. And date of production 2024.
Sorry for that price I can get a new C8 ZO6 in a few months or 2019 Corvette ZR-1 TODAY.

Obviously this is a pretty niche market - and they also seem to have an issue with constantly being sued

2 weeks later
#1058 11 months ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Iirc cybertruck reservation was only like$100 or maybe $250.
And Walmart I think got the semi, not the cybertruck?

$100, Walmart got the semi

3 months later
#1066 7 months ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

The glass thing was so stupid. Bulletproof glass, very few would need or want that

I've been racking my brain about WHY they even did the bulletproof glass in the first place. Of course the rock thing was beyond stupid (and an insight into Elon Musk later becoming such an unhinged psycho), but why add that extra expense to the vehicle? All I can come up with is a

Quoted from bob_e:

The impatience setting in among some Tesla devotees is understandable, considering the company has gone backwards in letting would-be customers know what to expect. When Musk first showed the Cybertruck almost four years ago, he said it would come in three configurations and start at $39,900. In October 2021, Tesla removed pricing and specs from its website.
Anyone putting down a fully refundable $100 deposit now does so without knowing whether Tesla still expects to hit the price points, battery range or towing capacity promised years ago. The company merely says on its website that depositors will be able to complete their configuration “as production nears.”
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/tesla-s-cybertruck-is-long-on-hype-and-short-on-specifications/ar-AA1fZxHx?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=9598325785ba41679198e5a91460caab&ei=12

It seems to me there's no way they can hit that price point now without taking a loss. But on the other hand, maybe the margin on all Teslas is considerably lower than other vehicles? The huge price drops on the other models implies maybe there's a big margin there. Ford also upped their prices after the initial Lightning announcement, but then lowered them again.

#1074 7 months ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

It's exactly this. Tesla's stock price is / was correlated with how it was perceived to be doing. And Elon's compensation is incredibly tied to Tesla's stock price. A shitload of things Tesla was supposed to do have largely proved to be vaporware; hype intended to boost the stock price whether they are actually profitable enterprises or not. Look at the undelivered products over the past 5-10 years:
Solar Roof - hardly any installs, way more expensive than originally quoted. Original presentation had non-working tiles that were just for show
Roadster 2.0 - Announced in 2017, took preorders for $50K or more dollars a pop, nowhere to be found six years later
Tesla Semi - Also announced in 2017, six years later 54 trucks built.
Tesla Battery Swap - 10 years ago there was a dog and pony show demo of a fast battery swap rendering gas stations obsolete. That is also vaporware.
There's a lot more. It isn't conspiracy to say, and I think the Twitter takeover kinda shows, that Musk comes up with hairbrained shit designed to boost the stock price, the engineers have to build it, and if it doesn't make any business sense, its quietly forgotten about.

This seems like an incredibly wasteful way to do things. But it's also (kinda) how R&D works

#1086 7 months ago
Quoted from bob_e:

AND it has jumper cables under the hood... WTF.. and EV that needs jumper cables
[quoted image]

Er… even if those weren’t for the purposes of jumping OTHER vehicles, don’t jumper cables carry E-lectricity for your E-lectric Vehicle?

#1098 7 months ago
Quoted from bob_e:

I may be wrong. I saw Jay Leno's Garage show he was driving one with Elon thru some tunnel and on the streets. So the CyberTrash may be owned by tezla and not Jay.

Not owned by Jay. That was a promotion for the truck and the Boring Company (remember that?), hence the tunnel.

1 week later
#1108 7 months ago
Quoted from bob_e:

tesla-begs-biden-for-nearly-100-million-to-build-semi-truck-charging-stations
https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/tesla-begs-biden-for-nearly-100-million-to-build-semi-truck-charging-stations/ar-AA1eHhhP
So we have to pay 11 million for 9 stations to charge his trucks? WTF !!!!
Let the truck stops put in charging stations !!!
Heck if elon can buy Twitter, he can build his own semi-truck charging network, after all he did it for his cars.

This is why Tesla suddenly started allowing other manufacturers to use its charging profile. I don’t think it’s a bad idea at all - Tesla has by far the most mature charging network of all the carmakers. I do think it’s a bad idea for a private company to own all the infrastructure like that. If we let private companies do this in the 50s, every highway would be fee-only.

#1117 7 months ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Word of the week: giga-opoly.
The US government hate monopolies. It may not be too long before Tesla enterprises gets broken up.....

I’ll fall over dead if this actually happens; the US has unfortunately fallen out of the trust-busting business. We’re busy sitting on our hands while blaming everyone else and fomenting civil war on a day of national historic loss

2 weeks later
#1127 6 months ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Tesla employees share a major hint that the Cybertruck is about to launch
Tezla thinks they can build 375,000 cybertrash per year. I don't know of one automotive plant that produced that may vehicles in the launch year. Good luck Elon.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/technologyinvesting/tesla-employees-share-a-major-hint-that-the-cybertruck-is-about-to-launch/ar-AA1hrQxc?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=ffb531ca80b940b3b6cd02da2c8d0d0e&ei=34#image=1

I mean, I get it, Musk lies. A. LOT.

But he gets the money from VCs and other simiarly crazy people that think he can pull it off - OR pull off what he's really betting on: that they won't deliver on time and customers will just roll their eyes and "Oh, that Elon!" and take their vehicles at the higher price and longer wait. But that would never happen, right? Nobody who ordered an EHOH or Stern topper in the last few years actually just WAITED and paid up when they increased the price! That would be crazy! right!?

#1134 6 months ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

I decided to double down on a Hummer ev today at Msrp , it’s the best truck I have ever driven bad ass man ! Love it ! Freaking huge !
Will see when cyber truck gets here but I love this Hummer !
[quoted image]

Holy crap, the price! That thing moves though

#1139 6 months ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Yeah a lot of dealers want 25-30 over Msrp !

I'm dead. That's nuts. Corvettes were like that during Covid, but I think they've come back down.

#1153 6 months ago

I’m still curious about how it will turn out; the look is cool and the promised features are pretty great - but since the price keeps getting jacked up and the delays mount, I’m looking elsewhere

#1155 6 months ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Have you actually heard the price keeps getting jacked up? I have not heard a peep about pricing.
And I agree it looks awesome. I’m also pretty sure the panel gaps should never be that close! Don’t they need to flex a bit?
Ps I’m no car expert like bob_e

Maybe I’m mistaken but I could have sworn there was already a price increase. But really I’m basing it more on the previous behavior for Teslas in general

2 weeks later
#1176 5 months ago
Quoted from ASAC_Schrader:

Can I tow my 12k pound trailer with this thing? Didn't think so........
So, it's a truck but it's not a truck?!?!

Not this again

#1201 5 months ago

Yep. It's a truck. Trucks haul stuff. Trucks tow stuff.
These silly EV "Trucks" can't do that. Real world stuff, not pretend "trucks"
I will take my F-250 with it's gas guzzling 7.3L v8 that can tow 18k lbs for 300 miles on a "charge" and "recharge" in minutes.

We get it, makes sense. I just don’t understand the glee

#1205 5 months ago

All you early adopters are helping by giving these manufactures money to invest in better technologies. I for you thank you for your donation to the future. ICE for me till ya'll figure it out

That's exactly how innovation works. We are in the second phase which as you pointed out is the "early adopters". We are RIGHT at the beginning of that phase - and you're basically right - the first (innovators) and second phases (early adopters) "pay" for future phases and make them cheaper. If someone wants to and can afford to go in now, they should do it. The laggards such as yourself will eventually benefit

1 month later
#1259 4 months ago
Quoted from bob_e:

And the "bulletproof glass" is now called shatterproof glass.

That was one of the dumbest things in the original demonstration that showed Elon ignored his engineers who I'm sure told him 1000 times that actual bulletproof glass is INSANELY expensive because it has such low yield numbers.

Too bad about all this, I was absolutely thinking about getting one and given the rich psycho's reputation, I declined to put down the $100. Now I'm glad I didn't waste it. What a scam. Again. And yes I feel the same about the Lightning lol.

The automakers are crying about the market not buying enough EVs - it's because they are targeting the luxury market still... and until they get prices down to Model 3 levels for the majority of cars, it's going to be like that. This truck thing was a proof of concept - but I think they still got enough trucks sold to create a reasonable case in about 5 years

#1262 4 months ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

I honestly thought the release was dumb. He could have a done a better job than that.

Can you even imagine how overloaded he is? He thinks he can do everything himself and he thinks everyone else is stupider than he is. And he's kinda right in some ways... Although, over on Twitter... not looking so smart.

How do his kids even ever seen him?

#1270 4 months ago
Quoted from dpadam450:

You can get an EV car for 25-30k. This is expensive for other reasons. I'm sure part of the price is just the Tesla name itself and also the supply/demand.

Imagine, a private citizen who has never intentionally done anything to you, or set any law/policy that hindered you or made you lose your job. You have many random opinions. Are you the one who wrote this engadget article?
[quoted image]

Bro, you ok?

#1271 4 months ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Thought they were supposed to be cheaper than that. That's my biggest problem with ev cars. So expensive.

Not all models are that expensive. The thing with the current line of EVs is that most of them are aimed at the "luxury" market. Even the trucks, at least at this point. But big SUVs and loaded F150s can hit $100,000+. The people who buy those trucks are who these are aimed at. They *are* still cheaper.

The Model 3 can be had for slightly over $30K. That's a sedan, but it's still WAY less than I just paid for my wife's Mazda CV-50, for example. (not a direct comparison obviously).

#1272 4 months ago
Quoted from robotron911:

Fools and their money are easily parted.
Do you all remember that a HUGE selling point to this was the fact the Tesla was manufacturing no molded body parts, as it would add incredible savings making this truck enormously affordable? And bullet-proof glass that gave all the middle-aged Rambos heart palpitations? How about HP that would set a new benchmark for EV trucks? Or a battery that gave it range that was by far the best in class?
What you get is an ass-ugly truck with a price-tag the equal of every other EV truck (Ford's entry is actually cheaper and it, amazingly, has formed sheet metal parts) with body panels that are misaligned and/or have hideous gaps, a range that is not markedly different that other EVs, "shatter-proof" glass and a truck bed that is so ill-designed that is actually doesn't work well as a pickup. All while being over 2 years late to production.
And people are lined up in droves to buy it.

I still really REALLY like the look of the Cybertruck, but it's obvious it's now just a style thing. Tesla body design is starting to stagnate a little bit - and this looks like an extreme way to break out of it. I'd still park that thing in my driveway. There's a lot more photos of the truck in the wild now, and I think the misaligned panels must have been one of the first ones off the line. the others don't seem to have the issue.

The thing about the single body piece of steel though - supposedly a huge part of the initial investment for these vehicles was the purchase of the biggest steel presses in the world... did they abandon that and just put those out in the alley next to a pile of Deeproot machines?

#1278 4 months ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Really hate the argument that because some other truck costs $100k then one at $80k is a great deal. Both are stupid expensive. Long range Model3 is still close to $50k. Any other decent ev seems to get well north of $50k. Cybertruck included. Ford F150 lightning was supposed to be cheap but also north of $50k. Short range and more basic ev's might be slightly cheaper but still expensive compared to other basic ice cars. Most ev's are luxury cars because they are already expensive to begin with.

I’d argue that’s cherrypicking - “decent EV”. But based on what criteria? Range? I guess?

Totally agree the 80-100K trucks are stupid expensive - I just meant it’s the same group of people who are willing to pay that much for a gas engine truck are being sold similarly priced EV trucks

#1280 4 months ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Yeah, some of you know I’m a Tesla fanboy, but I’m on the fence on this one. This might be a “gotta play the pin before I actually buy it” kinda situation. Price higher. Lost some features. Etc. might not make the cut with so many other cool vehicles out there.

I understand there’s a new Model 3 out. Kind of a backwards step IMO in terms of the design. But car pricing has always been about style. The fancy $$$ models are the eye-catching ones. The Model 3s look like a Ford Taurus. Oh well, at least it’s not a Boring Vehicle LOL

#1295 4 months ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Mostly range but it is largely what you get for the money. I don't see the point of having an ev with a range of 200 miles or less. People often compare ev vehicles to other high priced premium vehicles. That's fine for the luxury market but not everyone is in that market. Instead of being able to buy something like a Toyota Camry or Honda Accord for less than $30k you will have to spend $15k-$20k more to get an ev. Trucks have just got ridiculous so I guess Cybertruck perfect fit for that market.

lol can’t argue with that!

2 weeks later
#1329 4 months ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Since it was a Tesla supplied video, I wouldn't put it past them to alter the FPS as it's easy with digital recordings.
I mean the Musketeers were aplauding the video like walrures being tossed a bucket of herrings.

My Corvette got software updates while it was parked in my garage. can tezla do that ???

Of course

4 weeks later
#1435 3 months ago
Quoted from galore2112:As an EV owner since 2013, Ford/BMW/Tesla/BMW (I mention this to show experience and no irrational brand loyalty), my Tesla was by far the least accurate with mile estimates and it was the one that had the worst real milage vs EPA estimates. And as a Tesla fan, you certainly have read the numerous articles that show that Tesla massages their range number but those are ALL “gotcha” and can’t possibly be true.
My Model 3P never ever got close to its advertised EPA range. My other EVs did. GoTcHa!!!!!

So if someone wanted to get into a more modern car, which EV would you recommend?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bellefonte, PA
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 34.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RavSpec

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Knoxville, TN
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 45.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 18.95
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Valdosta, GA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 125.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tesla-cybertruck?tu=Rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.