Topic Stats

• 400 posts
  • 85 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by cottonm4
  • Topic is favorited by 643 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4080 (resized).JPG
    9ed8d883537e404caf6eb760abfeb20dd4f2e6aa (resized).jpg
    5AF90903-CB77-44E9-AE61-36C7BC3FD8DB (resized).png
    P_20190127_161710 (resized).jpg
    P_20190127_161402 (resized).jpg
    soldering (resized).png
    pic1 (resized).jpg
    pic2 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4380 (resized).JPG
    Canine-Scraper_(resized).jpg
    IMAG0310_(resized).jpg
    IMAG0311_(resized).jpg
    IMAG0309_(resized).jpg
    rF59XAb_(resized).jpg
    x-acto-x222-5pc-no-22-curved_(resized).jpg
    IMG_0423_(resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

55 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2 Terry discusses temperature controlled soldering stations. Posted by terryb (8 years ago)

Post #7 Maintenance of soldering tips. Posted by terryb (8 years ago)

Post #16 Types of solder, flux, and their usage. Posted by terryb (8 years ago)

Post #18 Desoldering equipment and how to use it. Posted by terryb (8 years ago)

Post #29 Maintaining your Hakko FR300 desoldering equipment. Posted by terryb (8 years ago)

Post #42 Basic lead solder safety practices for hobbyists. Posted by terryb (8 years ago)

Post #44 Anti-static information. Posted by terryb (8 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barakandl.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#126 8 years ago
    Quoted from terryb:

High Heat Dissipation
    One thing you'll notice when soldering an IC is that some pins are a little harder to solder than others. This is common on ground and some Vcc (supply voltage) pins and is caused by larger traces which draw heat away from the joint. In this case all you typically need to do is pre-heat the joint a little longer or give it another second after forming the solder bridge before moving the solder to the opposite side of the joint.
    You should still be able to solder the joint within 3-5 seconds.

This issue is magnified when dealing with bridge rectifiers and large capacitors and transistors. As covered before, your tip should be properly sized for the pad, which will be larger than the pads on small components. So you'll want to go to a .125" or .187-.200" tip.
    In some cases high-capacity (temperature) tips are available, which perform better with large components/traces. In the case of the Hakko FX-888D the .125" T18-DL32 tip is high-capacity (as indicated by the L). Although the .200" (T18-S3) is not labeled as high-capacity the shape and size of the tip would indicate that it is. If you have the T18-D32 it is perfectly fine, but next time you need a new .125" tip I would order the T18-DL32.
    Depending on the configuration, you may need to pre-heat the joint for 1-2 seconds longer and give it another 1-2 seconds after forming the solder bridge before moving the solder to the opposite side of the joint. Adding some additional flux is a good idea and has no downside.
    If you're still having trouble then add a small amount of the solder to the tip before pre-heating the joint (as shown in the video above). If you're still having trouble then increase the soldering iron temperature to 700 degrees. You'll learn over time that on some large components with large traces you will automatically go to 700 degrees. As long as your dwell time is in the range of 5-8 seconds there won't be a problem with the increased temperature.

I push 700 frequently.... 800 even. but i try and work fast. Unless you have a monster sized tip, the hakko fx888 is going to need to be at 800+ to melt solder on .156" headers for a Williams driver board on the ground plane or other earlier boards that have massive, un patterned ground planes. I would say if you have trouble getting solder to melt for a bridge rectifer or header pins after a few seconds, It is okay to raise the heat. You want it to flow not bubble up around the post.

#128 8 years ago
    Quoted from terryb:

I agree. I guess my point is that people should not immediately think that a higher temperature is the solution when they're having trouble. I've seen too many people use temperature to make up for poor soldering technique, or equipment, or the wrong tip size. First you need to cover the basics and then increase the temperature when needed.
    Just curious, have you tried the Hakko high-capacity tips, and if so have you seen any difference in temperature requirements?
    High-Capacity-Tip-2.gif
    22 degrees Celsius == 70 degrees Fahrenheit.

I have not tried any high capacity tips. I actually always use the same tip size for the most part to keep things simple. A nice average size chisel i do SMT to big fat rectifiers with.

When you are trying to melt this kind of stuff on early boards is when i crank the heat up 800+. Otherwise much lower. Newer boards never need much more than 750f as the ground areas will have a checkered pattern typically.

20151018_230028.jpg20151018_230028.jpg

#130 8 years ago
    Quoted from terryb:

As people become more experienced they develop their own techniques, and that's fine because they are based on experience. You can look at a board and know what you can get away with and what you can't, but a beginner/intermediate can't. You understand the nuances such as "I'm unlikely to lift a ground-plane" or "not all ground-planes are created equally" but others don't. Unfortunately it's not possible to cover every possibility or teach experience so I stick with best practices and as people gain experience they can adapt the technique to their own preferences.
    Beginner/intermediates should use the proper tip size and a high-capacity tip when doing large components/traces. This will dramatically improve their margin of error. As they get better then they can do whatever they want, but they'll get there with a lot less frustration and less damaged boards with the lower temperature is better approach. I've never had to go over 750 degrees on a board in my life (and trust me, a board from an X-Ray machine has a lot larger ground plane than any pinball board I've ever seen), but I use the proper sized tip and when appropriate a high-capacity tip (70 degree swing, plus whatever the proper size tip gives you, makes a pretty big difference).
    Again, nothing wrong with your approach, but not what I would advise beginner/intermediates to do. Good discussion though and it did help me improve my post above (not yet, but I'll edit it tomorrow).
    One other thing I should mention is that above 850 degrees you are going to get lead molecules in the vapor.

I feel you. It is a heat transfer thing, not really temperature. The solder melts at X temperature. The bigger the trace, the bigger the heatsink. If it was doing it right, you would use three different sized tips on a Williams driver board. One for ICs and small components, one for normal headers and solenoid transistors, and a third huge one for the ground supply voltage headers. For me... i am trying to get paid doing board work, so I crunch time whenever possible. Changing tips takes time on the FX888 as you really should let it cool down.

The other thing I have been known to do when desoldering this stuff is to double hand it. I use the pen iron in one hand the vac gun in the other to be able to transfer enough heat to cleanly melt the solder around the ground headers without pushing temperature too high. That is a more advanced technique though.

Everything i do is self taught, so I probably do it wrong =D

3 months later
    #236 8 years ago
    Quoted from Gorgonzola:

I used some MG Chemicals 'Flux removed for PC boards' and it does a great job of cleaning off old flux. The problem I have however is the boards still look messy as you can see the outer ring where flux remover dried. I've also had the same issue when using isopropyl alcohol and shellite/naptha. is there some trick to getting them completely clean?

Do a final wash with CLEAN solvent. I have dirty solvent (has lots of flux disolved in it) that i use for the main cleaning. Then when i am ready to finish it up, i wash it over with clean solvent so it evaporates clean.

You will never get a clean finish with ISO alcohol. There is lots of other crap in it that does not evaporate clean. So far naphtha is my favorite due to lack of overwhelming stank.

#240 8 years ago

Fine, fine wire for signal traces. Cut up old network or other old computer connectors to find suitable patch wire for free.

10 months later
    #316 7 years ago

id replace the ceramic cap nearby and use the leads on the new one to help rebuild the missing pads.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barakandl.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/terrybs-soldering-guide-part-1?tu=barakandl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.