Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 102 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by terryb
  • Topic is favorited by 73 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0188_(resized).JPG
    IMG_0186_(resized).JPG
    IMG_0185_(resized).JPG
    IMG_0184_(resized).JPG
    IMG_0118_(resized).JPG
    IMG_0119_(resized).JPG
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    quick_(resized).jpg
    nesquik-chocolate-powder-28430_(resized).jpg
    39e47f33e936529f6dc63ffac0ca74e6628fbcd97ab2896e5af5e32ed7eae6f1_(resized).jpg
    ComputerBarbecue_(resized).jpg
    6a768f87784e5d764fa4d47b84bc5289.1500_(resized).jpg
    Grey-Poupon_(resized).jpg
    There are 102 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 7 years ago

On to the next Cratex test case...

A WPC-89 CPU with medium alkaline damage.

The board took probably 3 hours from start to finish.

I calculate supplies on the repair at ~$15 including parts.

No damaged traces thankfully, so no jumpering required. That can often add significant time to a repair, and makes it unappealing. Also, it hadn't been previously reworked - these fine traces likely won't withstand multiple repairs.

I used Cratex's 'ultra fine' bullet on this. I think it was #14. Might have been #15 - they are similar.

Cost on these is about a buck, but you have to buy 100 of them to get that price. Ran at the #3 speed setting on my Dremel - will try to find out what RPM that is. Used about 1/2 to 2/3rds of the bullet.

After the traces were cleaned up, I did a light coating with MG Chemicals 419C. Stuffed the board, soldered the parts in, cleaned flux, tested, and sealed again after complete with a slightly heavier coat.

I think the Cratex will work very nicely on these.

Probably will 'batch' the next job, have resistors and such on order from jameco as I ran out of 1.2k ohm 1/4 watt resistors and had to use 1/2 watt on this board. I think if I do multiples, I could cut 1/2 to 1 hour per board from the job.

IMG_0184_(resized).JPGIMG_0184_(resized).JPG

IMG_0185_(resized).JPGIMG_0185_(resized).JPG

IMG_0186_(resized).JPGIMG_0186_(resized).JPG

IMG_0188_(resized).JPGIMG_0188_(resized).JPG

1 week later
    #102 7 years ago

I finally got the article posted at the following link. My apologies again for taking so long to get this done.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/terrybs-guide-to-repairing-alkaline-battery-damage

John, I used two of your photos as we discussed. Feel free to add your other photos and experience with the Cratex bullets (it would be nice if it's all in one place).

There are 102 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/terrybs-guide-to-repairing-battery-damage/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.