Topic Stats

• 136 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by bushav
  • Topic is favorited by 360 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

4514_TruthTable.png
    Capture (resized).PNG
    chip 2 (resized).PNG
    chip (resized).PNG
    20190708_155149 (resized).jpg
    20180627_152957 (resized).jpg
    20180625_200228 (resized).jpg
    20180625_200246 (resized).jpg
    lamp matrix (resized).PNG
    wpc1 (resized).png
    switchmatrix (resized).png
    wpc_95 (resized).png
    test lm339.jpg
    IMG_3194 (resized).jpg
    Capturar (resized).JPG
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinzrfun.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#120 3 years ago

I got the Elenco probe suggested, but testing a couple chips on my Strikes and Spares lamp board, the sound changes when the bulb I'm probing for lights up, but the high/low indicator never does?

#123 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinballAir:

I am unfamiliar with whether or not a logic probe has continuity but is it possible by testing the bulbs you are grounding a transitor?

I'm not testing the bulbs, I'm probing a chip on the lamp board - the sound changes when the corresponding light turns on, and changes again when the light turns off, but the high/low state indicator on the probe never changes -

#125 3 years ago
    Quoted from Blake:

First thing to do is pull up the data sheet for the IC your probing. Confirm if it’s TTL or CMOS. Set prob jumpers to appropriate voltage and ground.
    Then from the data sheet identify which legs are supposed to do what. High-low-toggling exc.
    Remember the corresponding leg could be held high or low, change state from high to low or low to high, or toggling from high or low.
    I would look through your manual to understand how your probe interprets signals.
    Once you understand what the probe is doing. Then identify if what you see on the probe matches to what is shown on the data sheet. If not you could have a problem with that chip or possibly some component beforehand.

Its a CMOS chip, and the entire circuit is working fine, it ended up being a cold solder joint - here's the chip below (original is obsolete, that's the replacement) from both the datasheet and the lamp board schematic.

Pins 5 and 6 are both feature lamps, so I was comparing those and the results were identical (like i said, problem wasn't the chip). No manual came with the probe (ELENCO 560), but if the chip output is controlling a lamp, it's obviously changing state, no? As I said, the staticky SOUND changed when the corresponding lights lit up, but the HI/LO indicator on the probe never changed - if i remember correctly it just stayed low -
    chip (resized).PNGchip (resized).PNGchip 2 (resized).PNGchip 2 (resized).PNG

#127 3 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

Well, the obvious check is to try and few other circuits...hell, just probe the 5v test point and see if your probe behaves as expected.

Yep, probed the test point, it goes HI.

Probed the legs I was working on earlier, it stays LO then the PULSE light comes on when the sound changes/bulb lights up.

So I guess by looking at this truth table for that chip, all of the outputs are going to be LOW -

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG
    #129 3 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

This is the correct indication. See terryb's 5th post in this thread.
    In this application, the 4514 pins are mostly low except for a very brief high pulse on outputs enabling a SCR to illuminate its respective lamps.

Ok, thanks Quench (and Terry B)!

I see what Terry said now - "Also remember that IC datasheets are your friend. The datasheet for any IC will typically provide a truth table that will tell you what the output should be based on the possible inputs."

So Quench, as someone who's repair experience is well documented on here, how often do you use a truth table to determine what an output should be? Is it considering "cheating" as opposed to deciphering a circuit to figure it out? Or when it comes to these Bally/Williams games, do you have these various chips memorized by now?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinzrfun.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/terrybs-guide-to-logic-probes?tu=pinzrfun and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.