Topic Stats

• 136 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by bushav
  • Topic is favorited by 360 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

4514_TruthTable.png
    Capture (resized).PNG
    chip 2 (resized).PNG
    chip (resized).PNG
    20190708_155149 (resized).jpg
    20180627_152957 (resized).jpg
    20180625_200228 (resized).jpg
    20180625_200246 (resized).jpg
    lamp matrix (resized).PNG
    wpc1 (resized).png
    switchmatrix (resized).png
    wpc_95 (resized).png
    test lm339.jpg
    IMG_3194 (resized).jpg
    Capturar (resized).JPG
    image.jpg

There are 136 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 6 years ago

TTL integrators always use 5 volt supply voltages, do the cmos always use 12v supply voltages?

Differs by these voltages also if it is CMOS or TTL ?

#52 6 years ago
    Quoted from pedroborges:

But in j206 one should not choose TTL since the uln2803 connects in plug j206 ?

You are correct ULN2803 is TTL and red connector on 12V.

#53 6 years ago
    Quoted from pedroborges:

TTL integrators always use 5 volt supply voltages, do the cmos always use 12v supply voltages?

CMOS chips can use a supply voltage from 5V to 18V.

4 months later
    #54 6 years ago

thanks,
    The plug j206 and j207 is tested with the ttl logic probe connected at 12v right?

The plug j208 and j209 is tested with the cmos logic probe connected at 12v right?

#55 6 years ago
    Quoted from pedroborges:

The plug j206 and j207 is tested with the ttl logic probe connected at 12v right?
    The plug j208 and j209 is tested with the cmos logic probe connected at 12v right?

Correct.

3 months later
    #56 6 years ago

thanks ,

how do I test with the logic probe for the j205 plug and the j212 plug ?

2 weeks later
    #57 6 years ago

Great read-through!! Question - Can you use a logic probe to test sound board IC's? Have MC3403 IC that I'm curious about on my Data East sound board. It acts as a amplifier chip. My music part is very faint, almost non-existent but my sound effects are fine...separate IC. Thank you again for your info!

1 month later
    #58 6 years ago
    Quoted from metalkatt:

Great read-through!! Question - Can you use a logic probe to test sound board IC's? Have MC3403 IC that I'm curious about on my Data East sound board. It acts as a amplifier chip. My music part is very faint, almost non-existent but my sound effects are fine...separate IC. Thank you again for your info!

Sorry for the delay in responding, been out of circulation for a while. Yes you can use a logic probe to test IC's on the sound board. If the chip is marginal you won't learn much unless you've worked on enough of them to tell by the tone. Most failures though will definitely be obvious.

#59 6 years ago

Busted out my logic probe to work on a Data East Star Trek that has been a headache since purchasing. Was told game worked when we bought it, absolutely no way this game played at all. This was my first time using the logic probe, it was like a whole new world opening up diagnosing transistor failures. This game had 4 parts of the light matrix locked on, sending 15 volts to the controlled lighting bulbs. The logic probe is my new favorite tool.

The image attached is all of the transistors I had to change out of a so called fully working game. Even let the smoke out of a couple of leds. To start with, someone had the bridge rectifier wired backwards so that there was no power at all to the controlled lighting.

IMG_3194 (resized).jpgIMG_3194 (resized).jpg

#60 6 years ago
    Quoted from Kawydud:

This was my first time using the logic probe, it was like a whole new world opening up diagnosing transistor failures.

Glad to hear it. It really is a valuable tool to have in your arsenal.

4 weeks later
    #61 6 years ago

OK, here's a question.

Lets say I am testing a board, and that board has multiple voltages on it. +5, +12, -12, and maybe 36V or something like that.

What happens if I accidentally probe the 36V line? Will I have a giant ball of lightning and lava in my hand? Will it just pick it up as a high signal?

In other words, what is the safe high limit for voltage when using a probe?

#62 6 years ago

I don't think 36v would smoke a probe rated for 15v max immediately, make it explode, or melt it.
    If I did that I would at least test it by comparing readings to a known good probe before trusting it again. Obviously the higher the overvoltage the greater the opportunity for damage.

#63 6 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

I don't think 36v would smoke a probe rated for 15v max immediately, make it explode, or melt it.
    If I did that I would at least test it by comparing readings to a known good probe before trusting it again. Obviously the higher the overvoltage the greater the opportunity for damage.

Well said. Since you're typically working on the logic part of the circuit you really shouldn't have an issue with hitting a high voltage.

#64 6 years ago

in this video as you can see was to get the 5 volts to the capacitor.

I have one doubt that the following: I should not have gone to get the 12 volts ?

#65 6 years ago

how do I test the inputs and outputs of the lm339 with the logic probe ?

#66 6 years ago

One of the possibilities is to put a jumper from one of the (working) column drives and put it to a row-input you want test. (blue line)
    Yellow marked are pulsing from 12 to zero volts, Red between 5 and zero volts.
    test lm339.jpgtest lm339.jpg

#67 6 years ago

to test the inputs - I have to power the logic probe at 5 volts and by the logic probe in CMOS and test the inputs -.

to test the inputs + I have to feed the logic probe to 12 and by the logic probe in CMOS and test the inputs +

would be so to test the inputs ?

is that in this video he tests the columns and row with the probe fed at 5 volts, I think the probe should be fed at 12 volts

#68 6 years ago

Great info here. Thanks.

#69 6 years ago

On the LM339 you would test the inputs with your probe connected to 12V and the outputs with it connected to 5V. In zaza's drawing the yellow are 12V and the red 5V.

More info here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/terrybs-guide-to-logic-probes#post-2514887

#70 6 years ago

thanks, in the video test with the feeding probe at 5 volts;
    the probe must be connected to the supply voltage of the integrated ?
    but the test of the inputs to must not be done so for the lm339 ?
    to test the inputs - I have to power the logic probe at 5 volts and by the logic probe in CMOS and test the inputs -.
    to test the inputs + I have to feed the logic probe to 12 and by the logic probe in CMOS and test the inputs +

#71 6 years ago
    Quoted from pedroborges:

the probe must be connected to the supply voltage of the integrated ?

The probe should be connected to the voltage range that you are reading rather than the chip's supply voltage. So if you're taking a reading with a high of 12V connect the probe to 12V and for a high reading of 5V connect the probe to 5V. This is how the probe determines the logic thresholds for a hi and lo.

I'm not sure what input + and input - mean. To me the inputs are the 12V side and the outputs the 5V side.

#72 6 years ago

the input - this is connected to 5 volts in the diagram

#73 6 years ago

I can test the inputs and outputs of the all integrated ones with the logic probe powered at 5 volts ?

#74 6 years ago
    Quoted from pedroborges:

I can test the inputs and outputs of the all integrated ones with the logic probe powered at 5 volts ?

No. In zaza's drawing above you should connect the logic probe to 12v for the yellow and 5v for the red.

#75 6 years ago

But if you look at the input - the lm339 is connected to 5 volts.
    The two gates of the logic probe have to be connected to the supply voltage as you can see in the link image (https://s13.postimg.org/4kuo23vjr/integrado1.png) or not?

#76 6 years ago

The LM339 has 12v inputs and 5v outputs and you have to match the probe to that not the Vcc for the chip (5v).

#77 6 years ago

thanks, because, but in the scheme the input- of lm339 is connected to the 5 volts

for example: I do not know what the voltage is in the inputs of the uln2803, how do I know which is the voltage applied to the inputs of the uln2803 ?

wpc_95 (resized).pngwpc_95 (resized).png

#78 6 years ago

Another example:

in the power driver board you have the uln2803 that controls the bulbs of the game.

for inputs and outputs how would you test with the logic probe?

#79 6 years ago

switchmatrix (resized).pngswitchmatrix (resized).png

#80 6 years ago

thanks, in the scheme where it made the markings to an input which is connected to VCC, and vcc is 5 volts.
    the inputs and outputs of the lm339 in what state should they be while testing with the logic probe?
    the inputs and outputs of the uln2803 in what state should they be while testing with the logic probe?

to -input should not be connected to 5 volts to test with the logic probe?
    the inputs of the 74hc237 is also 5 volt ?

I have another question to make the forehead with the logic probe on the uln2803 that is on the power drive board.

in the image I made the mark of the input and output in which I want to know what the voltage is.
    I think the output to the schematic is +18 volt, but I do not know what the input voltage is

wpc1 (resized).pngwpc1 (resized).png

#81 6 years ago
    Quoted from pedroborges:

the inputs and outputs of the lm339 in what state should they be while testing with the logic probe?

That varies depending on the state of the switch. See this post.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/terrybs-guide-to-logic-probes#post-2514887

Quoted from pedroborges:

the inputs and outputs of the uln2803 in what state should they be while testing with the logic probe?

The output will be high with low pulses and the input low with high pulses.

Quoted from pedroborges:

I think the output to the schematic is +18 volt, but I do not know what the input voltage is

The input is 5v.

Posts 11 and 12 in this thread walk you through testing the row and column, including what voltage to connect the logic probe to.

#82 6 years ago

the integrated 74hc237 is a CMOS chip right?

to test the inputs of the integrated 74hc237n I put the logic probe in CMOS and feed the logic probe to + 5V

to test the outputs of the integrated 74hc237n I put the logic probe in CMOS and feed at +5 volt

Was this how I should test the logic probe?

#83 6 years ago
    Quoted from pedroborges:

the integrated 74hc237 is a CMOS chip right?

to test the inputs of the integrated 74hc237n I put the logic probe in CMOS and feed the logic probe to + 5V

to test the outputs of the integrated 74hc237n I put the logic probe in CMOS and feed at +5 volt

Was this how I should test the logic probe?

That is correct.

#84 6 years ago

Thanks, The 74hc237n connects to the inputs of the uln2803.
    to test the inputs of the uln2803 I put the logic probe into ttl and feed the logic probe to 5 volts.
    To test the outputs of the uln2803 I put the logic probe in ttl and feed the logic probe 12 volts.

Was this how you had to test with the logic probe?

Do you know what it is that has to give in the logic probe for the inputs and outputs of the lm339 and for the inputs and outputs of the 74hc237n ?

#85 6 years ago
    Quoted from pedroborges:

Thanks, The 74hc237n connects to the inputs of the uln2803.
    to test the inputs of the uln2803 I put the logic probe into ttl and feed the logic probe to 5 volts.
    To test the outputs of the uln2803 I put the logic probe in ttl and feed the logic probe 12 volts.

Was this how you had to test with the logic probe?

Correct.

Quoted from pedroborges:

Do you know what it is that has to give in the logic probe for the inputs and outputs of the lm339 and for the inputs and outputs of the 74hc237n ?

Not sure what you're asking.

#86 6 years ago

thanks, I want to know what is the result that should give in the logic probe in the inputs and outputs of the integrated to know if the chip is good or not

for example: the result that must give the input is low with pulses, and the logic probe lights the yellow light and the green light.

#87 6 years ago

I bought the eistar lp-1 logic probe and it does not seem like a big deal.
    I was searching and I found the logic probe elenco lp 900, the logic probe elenco 560 and the logic probe Bk precision dp52
    Which of these three would you advise me to buy ?

#88 6 years ago

Great thread! Thanks!!!

#89 6 years ago

I prefer the Elenco LP-560, which is the one I cover in this guide. It has audio which the 900 does not. The 900 also does not have a cmos/ttl setting. While this might seem like an advantage, in that you avoid the hassle of figuring out which setting to use, the probe uses a hybrid threshold for cmos and ttl and therefore will not always be 100% accurate. It does have a pulser though, but honestly I seldom use the pulser and if I do need a pulse I can always pull it off the board somewhere. I'm not familiar with the BK product.

#90 6 years ago

thanks , Could the logic probe elenco lp-560 be connected to +18 volts?

I saw this logic probe on amazon.com.

but since I am from portugal, may I have to pay customs fees ?

#91 6 years ago
    Quoted from pedroborges:

thanks , Could the logic probe elenco lp-560 be connected to +18 volts?

Yes.

Quoted from pedroborges:

I saw this logic probe on amazon.com.

but since I am from portugal, may I have to pay customs fees ?

No idea.

#92 6 years ago

OK , thank you

#93 6 years ago

I have one of how to test with the logic probe the circuit of the bulbs as you can see in the image.

on uln2803 I think that in order to test the inputs I had to connect the logic probe at 5 volts and then the logic probe in ttl, to test the outputs of the logic probe at 18 volts and put the logic probe into ttl.

I think that in order to test the output of the lm339, I turn on the logic probe at +5 volts, and I put the logic probe in cmos.

to test the entries of lm339 is that i do not know

lamp matrix (resized).PNGlamp matrix (resized).PNG

#94 6 years ago
    Quoted from pedroborges:

on uln2803 I think that in order to test the inputs I had to connect the logic probe at 5 volts and then the logic probe in ttl, to test the outputs of the logic probe at 18 volts and put the logic probe into ttl.

Technically the output should be set to CMOS, although either would work. The rest is correct.

Quoted from pedroborges:

I think that in order to test the output of the lm339, I turn on the logic probe at +5 volts, and I put the logic probe in cmos.

Correct. The outputs are both TTL and CMOS compatible so you could actually use either one.

Quoted from pedroborges:

to test the entries of lm339 is that i do not know

Haven't worked on a lamp matrix in a while, I think 18V and CMOS. If you get weird readings then try 5V and CMOS.

#95 6 years ago

thanks, but for the outputs of the uln2803 should not choose ttl ?

#96 6 years ago

ULN2803 is a CMOS chip. The inputs are TTL compatible but the datasheet does not say the outputs are TTL compatible so I would go with CMOS.

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/uln2803a.pdf

#97 6 years ago

Terry, I recently bought a logic probe and was testing the U14 chip on the WPC MPU board. I was hooked up to 5 volts and was testing the bottom legs of the chip. I was able to confirm the chip was bad, but seconds later i think i shorted between 2 legs of the ic chip. this caused the game to reset. Since the chip was already bad, I couldn't tell if this made things worse.

I was able to replace the chip with a socket and a new chip, and all is fine now with my game (BSD), but doing that really intimidated me. I came to learn that these tiny legs on ic chips are hard to test in the back box. I have a pretty steady hand, but those suckers have got to be about a millimeter apart.

My question - is that really bad to short the probe between 2 legs? Will it cause damage? Or is 5 v too little to fry anything.

For the future, I am going to try to set up a bench tester with computer power supply.

#98 6 years ago

but if cpu board tested the outputs of the uln2803 in ttl, the power drive board should not be equal to the test ?

#99 6 years ago
    Quoted from Elicash:

... testing the U14 chip on the WPC MPU board. I was hooked up to 5 volts... ...i shorted between 2 legs of the ic chip. this caused the game to reset.
    My question - is that really bad to short the probe between 2 legs? Will it cause damage? Or is 5 v too little to fry anything?

When your probe is connected to 5v that doesn't mean the tip is applying 5v to everything you touch. In your example you shorted leg X to leg Y. Looking at the data sheet for a 74LS374 the input voltage is -1.5v @45 ma. Not enough to damage anything even in worst case scenario.

#100 6 years ago

If you momentarily shorted 5v to ground you could cause a reset, but it is unlikely you did more damage. There are other CMOS chips though where it's possible to short 12v or 18v to the logic circuit and that will likely blow something.

My hands aren't as steady as they used to be so I typically use a DIP clip and micrograbber. Normally you're just testing a couple of points so you can set everything up with the power off and then just get your readings from the other end of the micrograbber.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/terrybs-guide-to-logic-probes#post-2517164

There are 136 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/terrybs-guide-to-logic-probes/page/2?hl=pedroborges and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.