B652232C-157A-4E06-9BB3-A97054238AC7.gif
ADADF338-4AB6-4D66-B99D-966BDC65BE8B.jpeg
749D3791-8B77-4E52-BC30-C94B0EDC13F6.jpeg
03586728-1F5F-41B6-9036-22B96550C21D.jpeg
2AF33F9D-AE70-40E8-B95E-6E8D759F74EE.jpeg
stern_unbox_yeti (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).PNG
waiting (resized).jpg
There are 160 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 4 years ago

Stern Pinball promotes themselves as a global lifestyle brand. Based on my recent experience with them it seems their brand is only concerned with their bottom line. Their customer service experience is horrendous.

I was so excited to learn there were some new Deadpool LE remaining at Stern to complete our collection. We have an AC/DC Luci, Batman 66, Beatles Gold from Stern and a Pirates of the Caribbean CE and WoZ yellow brick road from JJP.

The Deadpool Pin arrived with wear on the legs, slight damage to the box, and 1200 balls already played on the machine. I reached out to Stern and it took them a week and multiple emails from me for them to just acknowledge they received my several emails.

The folks from Stern that finally responded did not apologize or make any attempt to connect besides asking for pictures of the playfield. I don’t think it is too much to ask for a brand new $9,000 machine to arrive and be brand new.

Still zero response from Stern! I come to find out that instead of communicating with me they are telling our distributor that we should use a black sharpie to fill in the damage to the box. Unbelievable! This is an expensive machine and your suggestion is to use a sharpie to fill in the damage??? It is incomprehensible to me that this global lifestyle brand company is now so disconnected from its customers.

I give a lot of credit to our local distributor for being responsive and thank them for their superior customer service. Stern could learn from them.

#2 4 years ago

Who is your distributor?

#3 4 years ago

Sound like the distributor sold you a demo machine. Not Sterns Fault.

#4 4 years ago

This is your very first post??? Pictures or something...you can’t just throw that out to us with nothing... what does box wear have to do with leg damage and 1200 plays...charge back

#5 4 years ago

NIB game, right? You need to leverage your distributor if the game arrived damaged. You purchased a new game and as such, must receive a new game. The caveat would be if there was shipping damage and it wasn't documented on the BOL. At any rate, this seems like a simple fix for a distributor to resolve on your behalf.

#6 4 years ago

Youre first post on pinside was to rail on Stern?
What else did they say to you? What did the distributor do for you?

#7 4 years ago

If the distributor sold you a used pin as new. Isn't it the distributors fault and not Sterns ?

Was it shipped to you boxed ? Did it come from Stern ? Did it come from your distributor ?

LTG : )

#8 4 years ago

Six posts in 60 seconds. This topic seems to have triggered the evening crowd

#9 4 years ago

Came from Stern, in the box, our distributor has been very accommodating and trying to help, but Stern has not been responsive at all.

#10 4 years ago

I don’t believe this... why didnt you spill those beans when you first opened the box...not a week later...

#11 4 years ago

What distributor was it?...throw a name out...can only help you if factual

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Youre first post on pinside was to rail on Stern?
What else did they say to you? What did the distributor do for you?

I will completely acknowledge that this is my first post, but this is my fourth Stern machine, and a significant purchase and I don't think it is too much to ask for Stern to respond to me. I have reached out to them multiple times and they have not responded to me at all.

#13 4 years ago

“Global Lifestyle Brand” just means they sell merchandise now like t-shirts..

Also, post a copy of your bill of lading. I want to see where this game actually shipped from. Just because it says Stern on the box, doesn’t mean it came direct from Stern.

Lastly, who is your distributor?

#14 4 years ago

Let’s see pictures of the damage too!

#15 4 years ago

They have a phone number...nothing?

#16 4 years ago

Give this some time and it will be made right. This is not a common occurrence. This is the first time I have heard of a used game being sold as new from Stern.

#18 4 years ago

I’m calling BS. No pics, first post. Troll?

#19 4 years ago

Something smells rotten !

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

I’m calling BS. No pics, first post. Troll?

I am honestly not trying to troll, I will submit pictures, the more frustrating thing is there were so many plays on the machine. Pat Powers has indicated that the board could have been a returned board with plays but again they have been so terrible at communicating it has been frustrating.

#21 4 years ago

Deadpool LE is old news. No way this came direct from Stern. They sold them all a long time ago. Has to be distributor stock and was likely a demo machine.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Deadpool LE is old news. No way this came direct from Stern. They sold them all a long time ago. Has to be distributor stock and was likely a demo machine.

Not necessarily. I bought a NIB DPLE from FlipNOut Pinball (see how easy it was to name the distributor!) and it shipped from Stern and in perfect condition just 2 weeks ago. Kind of an odd post. You share praise that your Distributor was awesome yet your not willing to give them that call out.... Would love to see even a few pics of the game as delivered and packed. I suspect a demo unit sale here.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Its certainly possible it came from Stern. How do you know they didn't use it at shows? That being said I highly doubt they would market the game as brand new....Dont u have to buy from a distributor? sounds like there was some serious miscommunication on someones part.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from WoodpilePin:

I am honestly not trying to troll, I will submit pictures, the more frustrating thing is there were so many plays on the machine. Pat Powers has indicated that the board could have been a returned board with plays but again they have been so terrible at communicating it has been frustrating.

You are definitely talking with the correct person @ Stern.
Can you post some photos?
Patience and I am sure everything will get sorted out for you.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Its certainly possible it came from Stern. How do you know they didn't use it at shows? That being said I highly doubt they would market the game as brand new....Dont u have to buy from a distributor? sounds like there was some serious miscommunication on someones part.

Wait yeah — does stern sell directly to customers, ever?? I don’t think so — and as indicated there is a distributor involved. Def sounds like it was a distributor demo machine. 1200 plays sounds about right for that scenario

#26 4 years ago

Forget what the software says - one look at the playfield would tell you if it has 1200 plays on it or just a few from testing on the line...

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

does stern sell directly to customers

I don't believe so.

I don't know if they even drop ship them anymore for their distributors.

LTG : )

#28 4 years ago

This doesn't make much sense:

1. The distributor should be handling this issue.
2. Stern doesn't sell "direct."
3. No pics at all.
4. Is there 1,200 games worth of play on the playfield? Should be obvious. Again no pics.

#29 4 years ago

If the game came direct from Stern (we drop ship all the time to our customers) you should have paperwork with a PRO number (tracking number). With the PRO number you can track when and where it was shipped from.

If you did not get paperwork on delivery then it was not shipped directly from Stern and who knows where it has been.

Bill
Fargo Pinball

#31 4 years ago

My guess is a miscommunication....probably between Stern and the distributor.

Stern does ship directly from their factory to customers. Stern do provide demo units for shows that sometimes go back to their factory (though I am a bit surprised they do that with LE models). So this could have been a case of the distributor calling Stern and asking if they had any Deadpool LEs left, Stern saying yes and then the sale going through and Stern getting the paperwork to ship out the game to you. Stern may have even mentioned it was a demo unit to the distributor and they didn't catch that....or maybe they thought you would not care or notice. Maybe the demo unit was just logged back into inventory by mistake. There are probably a lot of small mistakes or miscommunications that could have happened to cause this issue for no nefarious reason.

So someone might have been trying a sneaky on you, but it could have just as easily been a miscommunication. In either case, it sounds like you are on top of things and I'm expecting it will get resolved.

#32 4 years ago

This sounds like bullshit

#33 4 years ago

Is there is 1200 plays you would be able to tell as there would be dimples all over the playfeild.

If the playfeild looks new it's either a new playfeild in a used game which is bullshit for them to sell as new

Or it's a refurb board like they said which is still kind of BS Considering it should be new.

#34 4 years ago

I have found Pat Powers and Stern in general to be very responsive to issues.

#35 4 years ago

This has to be trolling. Op says he owns a woz ybr, I didn’t think anyone bought one since the monkey mechanic was removed.

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from WoodpilePin:

Stern Pinball promotes themselves as a global lifestyle brand. Based on my recent experience with them it seems their brand is only concerned with their bottom line. Their customer service experience is horrendous.
I was so excited to learn there were some new Deadpool LE remaining at Stern to complete our collection. We have an AC/DC Luci, Batman 66, Beatles Gold from Stern and a Pirates of the Caribbean CE and WoZ yellow brick road from JJP.
The Deadpool Pin arrived with wear on the legs, slight damage to the box, and 1200 balls already played on the machine. I reached out to Stern and it took them a week and multiple emails from me for them to just acknowledge they received my several emails.
The folks from Stern that finally responded did not apologize or make any attempt to connect besides asking for pictures of the playfield. I don’t think it is too much to ask for a brand new $9,000 machine to arrive and be brand new.
Still zero response from Stern! I come to find out that instead of communicating with me they are telling our distributor that we should use a black sharpie to fill in the damage to the box. Unbelievable! This is an expensive machine and your suggestion is to use a sharpie to fill in the damage??? It is incomprehensible to me that this global lifestyle brand company is now so disconnected from its customers.
I give a lot of credit to our local distributor for being responsive and thank them for their superior customer service. Stern could learn from them.

So what is the outcome you are looking for? Just a refund? I can’t see Stern denying that (if you’re telling the truth).

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from estrader:

This has to be trolling. Op says he owns a woz ybr, I didn’t think anyone bought one since the monkey mechanic was removed.

Some people actually DID pay more for less. You can't make this stuff up.

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from estrader:

He also owns a Beatles...

#39 4 years ago

What address is on the shipment paperwork? Should be easy to tell who/where the game came from.

#40 4 years ago

Pics or it didn't happen. And name the distributor while you are at it.

#41 4 years ago

I smell poop.

#42 4 years ago

Calling the poopy wagon to haul this BS away

#43 4 years ago

Pics definitely. If the legs are beat up I can't imagine a good distributor not throwing you a set of legs just to make you happy.

#44 4 years ago

As long as the distributor is not identified, or given a chance to explain, I become suspicious of the customer.

#45 4 years ago

Not sure how you can give credit to and praise the great customer service of your distributor, when this is 100% a distributor issue. As others have stated, there is a small possibility that a bunch of innocent miscommunications/errors added up to get you this machine, but even if so, your distributor should be the one dealing with this, not you. If he was such a great distributor, he should have had the game returned, on his dime, and given you a full refund as soon as a problem of this magnitude was shown.

My guess (and it's just a guess), your distributor, knowingly or (somehow) unknowingly, sold you a show demo. 1200 balls is ~400 games...and that about tracks with a busy show weekend. A quick glance at the playfield should tell you if there were actually that many games on it, or if it was an old board reused without being wiped.

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from WoodpilePin:

I will say i think they may reuse PCBs. A friend's Metallica had a flipper transistor go out. When the driver board was removed from the NIB purchased game for the first time ever there was obvious rework already done to the board. A couple of parts had been replaced in the past already as there was flux residue and different date codes on a few things. So either Stern reused a board that had been sent back for service or the game needed things fixed around the time of assembly / initial testing.

I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing. The rework was done pretty well besides they didn't clean up flux residue.

#47 4 years ago

Welcome to Pinside!

#48 4 years ago

waiting (resized).jpgwaiting (resized).jpg

#49 4 years ago

To the OPs credit, these photos are better than some FS threads.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 64.99
$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

€ 68.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Kami's Pinball Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bay Area, CA
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 25.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lucxor

$ 575.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Gameroom Bling

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cheko's Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 37.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
HurryUpPinball

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 160 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/terrible-customer-experience-?hl=billpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.