(Topic ID: 296003)

Termites issue?

By borna

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

termite-droppings (resized).jpg
    dropping comparison (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

hello all,
    I am shopping for my first EM pinball machine.
    One of the biggest risk is to bring a pinball that is infested with termites and bring that into your home.
    With that said, I am in FL, and based on your experience have you ever encounter that issue when purchased a pinball?
    What are the best way to determine if the machine is infested with termites even after the seller clean and vacuum the cabinet well?

#2 2 years ago

out here in the west, you can only reliably kill them with vikane or something that goes into the wood. every house that sells out here is tented and gassed even without visible damage/detection because it's easier to just assume they are present.

maybe call a termite company and see whether they can bag the machine and pump it with vikane. weird request but they might have to do it for other antiques. dunno.

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from borna:

What are the best way to determine if the machine is infested with termites

If there are small holes in the wood, or if the wood is spongy.

Personally, I wouldn't touch a game suspected of a termite infestation with a 10 foot pole. First, the game is likely seriously compromised, and second, I don't want to risk bringing them into the house.

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

If there are small holes in the wood, or if the wood is spongy.
    Personally, I wouldn't touch a game suspected of a termite infestation with a 10 foot pole. First, the game is likely seriously compromised, and second, I don't want to risk bringing them into the house.

yes, that is what to want to make sure i can detect that even if the cabinet may look clean

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from borna:

hello all,
    I am shopping for my first EM pinball machine.
    One of the biggest risk is to bring a pinball that is infested with termites and bring that into your home.
    With that said, I am in FL, and based on your experience have you ever encounter that issue when purchased a pinball?
    What are the best way to determine if the machine is infested with termites even after the seller clean and vacuum the cabinet well?

3 out of 4 pins I’ve purchased from Florida have had termite problems. You’re unfortunately in one of the seemingly worst states for that.

Are you central or panhandle? Panhandle pins seem to fair even WORSE than the ones from the rest of the state.

Be careful, you can pay a place that fumigates furniture to take care of your pin. I wouldn’t be that scared by it. If you kill the nest and let it sit in a plastic bag for about 2-3 months you will definitely know if you got it or not!

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

3 out of 4 pins I’ve purchased from Florida have had termite problems. You’re unfortunately in one of the seemingly worst states for that.
    Are you central or panhandle? Panhandle pins seem to fair even WORSE than the ones from the rest of the state.
    Be careful, you can pay a place that fumigates furniture to take care of your pin. I wouldn’t be that scared by it. If you kill the nest and let it sit in a plastic bag for about 2-3 months you will definitely know if you got it or not!

oh wow, I am in South Florida. So even if I leave it in plastic bag for 3 months, that doesn't necessary kill the termites? I'll assume they will consume the woods and get their water from moisture in the air?

#7 2 years ago

Termites are a serious problem in Florida, if you don't get your home treated regularly, you're likely gonna have them.

If you run into a pin with bugs, you're gonna need to stick it in a home being tented or an oven.

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from borna:

oh wow, I am in South Florida. So even if I leave it in plastic bag for 3 months, that doesn't necessary kill the termites? I'll assume they will consume the woods and get their water from moisture in the air?

I forget how long they can hibernate for. After 3 months if there’s no activity it’s usually safe. After 6 months the colony is definitely dead.

#9 2 years ago

Florida collectors usually take pins that are new to them to a pest control place. They place it in a large oven and heat it up. Termites are killed by the extreme heat, including larvae that haven’t hatched yet.

I know a collector in Florida with a lot of pins in dry storage (not climate controlled), and he’s offered to sell some of them to me. Hard pass.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from bluespin:

Florida collectors usually take pins that are new to them to a pest control place. They place it in a large oven and heat it up. Termites are killed by the extreme heat, including larvae that haven’t hatched yet.
    I know a collector in Florida with a lot of pins in dry storage (not climate controlled), and he’s offered to sell some of them to me. Hard pass.

So when we are talking about extreme heat, what temperature are we talking about?
    how about seal it completely in plastic bag and leave it for a few days in sun. I am sure the temperature will get between 150 -200 in FL during summer time?

Also when mentioned the collector in FL, are saying his pinballs might be infested with termites?
    Last, I am sure there must a way to visually detect if is already infested with termites? Can you suggest some way to find out even if the owner cleaned the cabine?

#11 2 years ago

IF in doubt; killem with gas... or better yet; stay away from them.

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from bluespin:

Seriously? Not being snarky at all, but I never knew this was a thing with pinball games from the SE. I know termites are bad there, but I had no idea people actually treat the pins they buy. I guess you learn something new every day.

We have termites here in the midwest, and they do a lot of damage, but houses are typically only treated when bought and sold or if there is known damage. Some folks treat year-round, especially if they are in wetter areas, but I have never heard of treating a pinball machine before placing it in a house.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from Manimal:

Seriously? Not being snarky at all, but I never knew this was a thing with pinball games from the SE. I know termites are bad there, but I had no idea people actually treat the pins they buy. I guess you learn something new every day.
    We have termites here in the midwest, and they do a lot of damage, but houses are typically only treated when bought and sold or if there is known damage. Some folks treat year-round, especially if they are in wetter areas, but I have never heard of treating a pinball machine before placing it in a house.

LOL, me either. But I am buying my first EM pinball and an expert told me to check for termites. Before he was saying that, most likely the last thing in my mind was termites in pinball, but now he scared the s*** out me

I guess must a way to visually inspect and detect if is infested with termites even if the seller clean it really good to hid any evidence .

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from borna:

So when we are talking about extreme heat, what temperature are we talking about? how about seal it completely in plastic bag and leave it for a few days in sun. I am sure the temperature will get between 150 -200 in FL during summer time?

I don't think that's enough. There was an operator that kept pins and arcades in non-climate controlled warehouse in Florida. When he passed local collectors went and inspected the pins, found termite damage in all of the cabinets and purchased all of his pins at parts only prices.

Here's a collector website where I first read about the termite issues in Florida. Search for articles about termites.
    http://villagebbs.com/forum/index.php

Quoted from borna:

Also when mentioned the collector in FL, are saying his pinballs might be infested with termites?

Yes. I don't want to risk bringing them back to my house. He responded to a WTB ad that I placed here on Pinside 2 years ago, checked his storage, and said that the specific pin I was looking for was one of the ones he destroyed after a hurricane in 2006. He's had pins stored in non-climate controlled storage for at least 13 years in Florida.

Isochronic_Frost Bought two Meteors from a seller in Florida, and had them moved up to the NE. They wood was literally falling apart from termite damage, and he had to gut the cabinets for parts.

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from Manimal:

Seriously? Not being snarky at all, but I never knew this was a thing with pinball games from the SE.

I live in Georgia, and I'm well connected with collectors all over the SE, and only Florida collectors treat their games to a heat "bake."

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from bluespin:

I don't think that's enough. There was an operator that kept pins and arcades in non-climate controlled warehouse in Florida. When he passed local collectors went and inspected the pins, found termite damage in all of the cabinets and purchased all of his pins at parts only prices.
    Here's a collector website where I first read about the termite issues in Florida. Search for articles about termites.
    http://villagebbs.com/forum/index.php

Yes. I don't want to risk bringing them back to my house. He responded to a WTB ad that I placed here on Pinside 2 years ago, checked his storage, and said that the specific pin I was looking for was one of the ones he destroyed after a hurricane in 2006. He's had pins stored in non-climate controlled storage for at least 13 years in Florida.
    Isochronic_Frost Bought two Meteors from a seller in Florida, and had them moved up to the NE. They wood was literally falling apart from termite damage, and he had to gut the cabinets for parts.

It was one Meteor and one Blackout, Meteor was totally destroyed and Blackout’s head was in rough shape from termites.
    Prior to that I bought a Torpedo Alley that had passed through the rounds and I found out it came from Florida (the rusty parts and cabinet humidity damage were dead giveaways) the person who had it in Florida had treated that game to save it.

I was also involved in that collector clean out deal and passed when my contact there sent pictures of the termite damage. Total junk.

Not trying to scare you too badly OP but enough people have seen Florida games and the issue is well known. We’re talking a LEAST 1/3rd of games you come across from FL will have termite issues.
    Rixzilla is a local restorer who is extremely active there. He’s always done me right. He can probably get you a pin that’s in good shape.

#17 2 years ago

So here is the question. I know FL games have high possibility of termites, but is it possible to determine that while I am checking it?
    Let say, the game has termites and the seller vacuumed and cleaned it very well (not treat it) to sell the game. We are just assuming that.
    Now what can I do as an inexperience guy to determine if the game has termites within the wood? most some evidence still exist?

I hate to just pass on the game thinking just because is from FL it has termites

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from borna:

Now what can I do as an inexperience guy to determine if the game has termites within the wood? most some evidence still exist?

You can ask a professional termite control person rather than pinball people who may have done a search online about how to spot termite damage. There is nothing special about pinball wood that gives a pinball collector any special insight. CALL A PROFESSIONAL.

Quoted from borna:

I hate to just pass on the game thinking just because is from FL it has termites

You can find pinball machines for sale by the dozens or hundreds at any pinball show. Let this one go. Patience is your friend.

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from borna:

So here is the question. I know FL games have high possibility of termites, but is it possible to determine that while I am checking it?

Knock on and push into the wood with your fingers. It should be solid. If it starts to crack or push through, it likely has termite damage. If its newly infested it won't show any damage or be obivous, but if its an EM thats been in FL a while, it'll likely show.

#20 2 years ago

Probably one of the most interesting threads I have read on Pinside in a while that wasn't authored by Vid.

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from Manimal:

Probably one of the most interesting threads I have read on Pinside in a while that wasn't authored by Vid.

I am new to these stuff as well. It make sense that a 45 years old machine might be infested with something. You never know where it has been during these many years.
    Good news is that I found a place near my house to do what it calls "vault fumigation" and cost is $120. So if I buy it, I will do all the necessary inspection on the site, and if I don't see any evidence, I will seal it in a plastic bag, deliver it to the fumigation place and have them treat it. $120 is well worth it to have a peace of mind.
    Of course if I find any evidences of infestation, I simply won't buy it. But if I buy it, I will treat if no matter what.

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from borna:

I am new to these stuff as well. It make sense that a 45 years old machine might be infested with something. You never know where it has been during these many years.
    Good news is that I found a place near my house to do what it calls "vault fumigation" and cost is $120. So if I buy it, I will do all the necessary inspection on the site, and if I don't see any evidence, I will seal it in a plastic bag, deliver it to the fumigation place and have them treat it. $120 is well worth it to have a peace of mind.
    Of course if I find any evidences of infestation, I simply won't buy it. But if I buy it, I will treat if no matter what.

A telltale sign is pinholes in the wood. Look for them. I’ll find my old Meteor pictures and send as an example

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

A telltale sign is pinholes in the wood. Look for them. I’ll find my old Meteor pictures and send as an example

Oh please send. Would love to see.

#24 2 years ago

In my experience, it is easier to see the drywood termite droppings, that they push out of the tunnels they've created. It won't always be a volume like in the photos. I've had a couple of machines, not only EM's, that have had termites. Some with minimal damage with no remaining active infestation and others requiring a trial by fire or maybe a local treatment with a termiticide(Termidor is what I use.)

I was told of this product some years back from an owner of a pest control Co, and have used it for wood decks or ?, where I have found the tell tale pellets. Simple to use, drill a couple of small holes in affected region. inject the product into holes, workers carry it on their body back to queen and nest dies.

Important to note that sometimes the structural integrity has been compromised beyond a functional or safe strength, so replacing damaged wood is in order. I had one where the termites were in the base of the head and the collar below it. The head damage was minimal, but the collar was toast(easy fix!)

dropping comparison (resized).jpgdropping comparison (resized).jpgtermite-droppings (resized).jpgtermite-droppings (resized).jpg
    #25 2 years ago

I would be interested to see pictures of a hidden termite infestation. I've pretty much assumed I could see droppings, etc. if there was a problem.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/termites-issue?hl=manimal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.