(Topic ID: 80692)

** - FIXED - ** Terminator 3 - Drop Target Behavior.

By NPO

10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by NPO
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Coil_Diode_Top.JPG
Coil_Wire_Strand.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Hey guys,

So I have a question about the drop target in Terminator 3. For a while, I was starting to wonder if I had some weird issues going on, and I think I've narrowed things down to just one.

Quickly, the "false alarm":

So once the drop target has been knocked down, I had never had a machine where the drop target pops back up after a ball, then back down for the start of the next ball. I thought I had an issue there, but after watching some YT videos, it does appear this behavior is normal. Now, here's the "weird" behavior.

I was playing today, and I noticed as I'm playing every once in a while with the drop target up, it will pop down and up pretty quickly. It will NOT go all the way down into the table, it will just do "small up and down" movements sporadically. I know some games actually "taunt" you with behaviors like that from the factory, but I can't tell if this is normal or not. I did notice a coil under the machine with what looks to be a unwound wire strand under the playfield. It's a bit weird, and I don't understand how that would contribute to "erratic" behavior of the drop target. Without my manual, I can't look at everything, and I won't have access to it until at least sometime next week as my wife and I are moving to a new home.

Anyways, what do you guys think?

Coil_Wire_Strand.jpgCoil_Wire_Strand.jpg

#2 10 years ago

That strand can be grounding itself out to the metal bracket. I have never seen a strand of coil wire just floating around that wasn't disconnected.

#3 10 years ago

My drop target sat to low and the ball would get stuck on it occasionally, but it was a simple adjustment screw fix.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

That strand can be grounding itself out to the metal bracket. I have never seen a strand of coil wire just floating around that wasn't disconnected.

I'm thinking something like that too. Can I somehow rewind the coil wire? I would think if I clip that wire it would nuke the integrity of the coil and cease proper operation of the coil.

So, I found this coil - it is a nasty lil thing to find on the internet - and it's $15 plus shipping overseas to get a new one. Can these coils be re-wound, or do I need to seriously consider getting a new one?

This one is unique because the diode is opposite the coil; it is not "on the same side" as the coil if that makes any sense.

Here, I'll just show what I mean. I can be bad at explaining details.

So, at Marco, Pinbal Life, and Bay Area, you can get these coils all day long:

Coil_Diode_Top.JPGCoil_Diode_Top.JPG

Now, the coil that controls the drop target is identical, except the diode is on the opposite side of the coil lugs - so it's NOT on the same side as the coil.

Could I just buy a coil like this (obviously with the correct specs) and just solder a 1N4001 diode in where it should be and call it a day?

Thoughts ...? $$$ + overseas shipping worth just being safe and getting the right part?

I can always call Stern too. I just prefer to talk things out with everyone here first .

#5 10 years ago

this has to be a quiz thread or something, because you purposely took a picture of that area, knowing that copper wire is not suppose to be out like that. if that touches the bracket or anything, weird stuff will happen. That has to be broken. no way to unwind otherwise.

#6 10 years ago

Well, of course I know it's not supposed to be like that . I didn't know if it unwound or it is was truly a broken strand of wire. I don't fully know how coils work, so I didn't know if the coil could somehow get unwound, or if the wire starts to unwind that is 100% indicative of a broken strand of wire.

So now, do I get a coil with no diode and solder one in place, or just spend the money and buy one overseas and call it a day?

Remember, people ask questions because they just want to understand and get guidance from people more experienced. We all start somewhere, so please, realize that not everyone knows as much as you may when you type your response.

That wasn't guided at you Neo or anyone in this thread, that's just a "The More You Know" moment.

#7 10 years ago

Get one from terry at pinballlife. Should have a replacement for you. If they diode needs to be there. Solder one on. can do it while your putting the wires on. Diode costs .01 cents.

#8 10 years ago

Sweet ! Thanks Neo!

4 months later
#9 9 years ago

So, I forgot to update this. If your T3 has a drop target that randomly pops itself up and down, that is NOT normal.

More than likely, the problem is the drop target is old and worn out. It has a lil' edge that grabs onto the side of the PF. When the ball hits the drop target, that edge slips off the PF, and a spring pulls the drop target down, and the drop targets locks into place. If your target is worn out, that lil' plastic edge can let go, but since a switch has not been triggered like normal when the ball hits the target, the game will send the drop target back up.

The fix: install a new drop target.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=545-5533-01

Installing a new drop target is a bit tricky and took me a good 30-45 mins, but so far my drop target NEVER drops up and down randomly now.

Getting the decal = you're on your own. You can buy a decal kit for $25 - all for a 1" x 1" decal. I am currently working on making my own. More updates to come down the road on that one.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 45.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/terminator-3-drop-target-behavior and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.