Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Bill54449
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I am trying to update the cpu and display program code to 4.0 on my T3. The machine will not work with the new chips. Any ideas? Any help would be appreciated!

#2 7 years ago

Did you turn the Eproms the correct direction? One pin off on each side? Or bent a pin plugging it into the socket? The notch in the top of the chip should match up with the labeling on the board.

What symptoms do you have? Maybe post a picture of them installed.

#3 7 years ago

Eproms are installed correctly. I had purchased new eproms from Marco with game code installed. The first set didn't work. I ordered another set and they didn't work either. I then purchased an eraser and programmer. Tried programming many different sets of chips and even tried older game code like 2.01 and 3.01. If I program a new chip with the same code that I have on the machine (2.0) It will work just fine. I should clarify that the pinball machine will read the new display code but not the cpu. Yesterday I read the manual front to back and found the following:

CPU Section:
The CPU is a 68B09E (U209) with up to 8 MBytes of CPU Code Space (U210). The CPU code is bank selected
by the use of U211 and each bank consists of 16 KBytes. 8 KBytes of RAM (U212) is available to the CPU. The
RAM is battery backed and has a write protected area. Battery back up is accomplished by 3-AA Cells (BAT1)
which have a TEST POINT VBATT to check the battery voltage status. The write protected area consists of 512
Bytes used for storing game settings. This section of RAM can only be written to when the coin door is open. The
Coin Door switch comes into the CPU on CN6-12 and is fed into the address decoding PAL U213. When this
memory protect signal is low writes to the protected RAM area are prohibited. Address decoding for the system is
accomplished by one PAL U213 and one 1-of-8 decoder U214.

I think the write protected area isn't allowing for the new code. I verified that the coin door switch is working.

Any thoughts? The game works fine with the original code but it's driving me nuts not being able to install the new code.

#4 7 years ago

Try removing the batteries before changing the CPU ROM.

#5 7 years ago

I've tried removing the batteries and unplugging the machine overnight. Then installed new eprom, then reinstalled batteries. Also tried many different combinations with and without batteries. Still nothing. I forgot to mention that the symptoms aren't always the same. Sometimes just the GI lights will be on. Sometimes the GI lights will flash and the RPG cannon fire at the same time. The symptoms will remain the same until I try other changes like relocating the jumper on JP1, then the symptoms change slightly.

#6 7 years ago

Are all the replacement CPU Eproms the same type/size as the working original one?

#7 7 years ago

They are identical, 27c040 eproms. I can program a new eprom with the 2.0 code and it will work in the machine. None of the newer versions of code will work.

#8 7 years ago

The CPU uses an 1Mbit gamerom (27C1001, 27C010). The displaycontroller uses a 4Mbit Eprom (27C040, 27C4001)

#9 7 years ago

The schematic for my machines shows a 27co40.

#10 7 years ago

The images are 128kByte = 1Mbit -> 27C1001 / 27C010 for the CPU / gamerom

#11 7 years ago

Interesting.. Although the schematic shows a 27c040, the firmware table shows 1m. However, I have programmed a duplicate 2.0 code onto a 27c040 and the game works as it should. Just can't get updated code to work. Is it possible that the original code was on a 27c040 and the updated code requires a 27c010?

#12 7 years ago

The CPU is capable of addressing 4Mbit, but as far as I know, Stern used always a 1Mbit gamerom. What is the partnr of the Original Eprom?

#13 7 years ago

When you load the V2.0 image in a hex editor, how does it look? Is it a real 4Mbit image, is the first 3Mbit empty or did they "quadruple" a 1Mbit image and shoot it into a 4Mbit Eprom?

#14 7 years ago

The original eprom is so faded that I can't read the part number even with a magnifying glass.

It appears that 3Mbit is empty.

I think I'll erase the original and try loading the new code to it.

#15 7 years ago

You can try to program the V4.00 into a 4Mbit Eprom giving it a 3Mbit offset.

#16 7 years ago

Thanks for you help! I am erasing the original and I am confident this will work. Unfortunately my eraser takes many hours and I can't wait to see if this works.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from Bill54449:

Unfortunately my eraser takes many hours and I can't wait to see if this works.

What kind of eraser do you have? It shouldn't take more than 15 minutes. Also make sure the window on the chip is uncovered and facing the light in thr eraser.

#18 7 years ago

It's a chinese eraser I bought on ebay with no model number. Any suggestions for a better eraser. The original eprom worked with the 4.0 code!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.95
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/terminator-3-code-update and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.