Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8464 (resized).jpg
IMG_8467 (resized).jpg
IMG_8462 (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Hey hey!

Stumped on what might be an easy one for the pinside audience. Flippers on T2 don't function the way they should.
The right flipper hardly has enough power to pull in to the coil. The left flipper will work once or twice and then stops working and then in a couple seconds will work again. When the playfield is up and I'm testing the flippers you can visibly see that it's trying but almost just doesn't have enough power to pull in the bat.
If you push in the flipper the coil does have enough power to hold it up.

Tested the coils and they are getting over 50V

Other notes
- right flipper & left flipper buttons both work on switch test
- middle lug to ground on both flippers works
- clean and rebuilt flippers, sleeves
- eos switch is brand new and closed on rest
- coils test fine, as do the diodes

All other machine functions look to work great. My guess is it's Q 99 but don't know. Any thoughts or help is appreciated!

#2 7 years ago

Try jumpering across the EOS

#3 7 years ago

Clean the contacts of the new EOS switches, then adjust them so that there is more pressure holding them close but still have an 1/8 gap when flipper is in the up position.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Clean the contacts of the new EOS switches, then adjust them so that there is more pressure holding them close but still have an 1/8 gap when flipper is in the up position.

I've had s similar problem on sopranos caused by.not enough pressure on Eos contacts when closed. Not sure on t2 -- are cab switches high voltage or just a switch trigger to a board?

#5 7 years ago

Thanks everyone. I'll report back.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

I've had s similar problem on sopranos caused by.not enough pressure on Eos contacts when closed. Not sure on t2 -- are cab switches high voltage or just a switch trigger to a board?

T2 still has high voltage contacts

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

T2 still has high voltage contacts

Ah -- op did those get replaced with new switches then?

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

Ah -- op did those get replaced with new switches then?

That'd be the next thing I try to jumper out

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

That'd be the next thing I try to jumper out

Yeah -- it's sounding very much like an eos switch not having enough pressure on contacts (if normally closed) or burnt up cab switch contacts. Very unlikely the transistor, they usually just totally fail. Possibly bad electrical contact at a lug?

#10 7 years ago

Check mechanical stuff first, is coil sleeve long enough to penetrate coil bracket (=plunger won't touch metal bracket). Also there must be a gap between flipper bushing, if you pull flipper upwards from playfield, there must be at least 1/8" gap.

2 weeks later
#11 7 years ago

Switched the power from the left to the right and it works! Joy! Only problem is now I am blowing out F101. Yikes! I am guessing I have something wrong with my Powerboard on this one. MM reads different power from the left and the right. Something is up. Any other thoughts before I send this board out for repair?

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from puck:

Switched the power from the left to the right and it works! Joy! Only problem is now I am blowing out F101. Yikes! I am guessing I have something wrong with my Powerboard on this one. MM reads different power from the left and the right. Something is up. Any other thoughts before I send this board out for repair?

Can you explain more what you mean by "different power from the left and right"? What exactly are you measuring, the potential from positive lead to ground braid? What's it giving you for each side? (You are not measuring "power" with the multimeter btw, power is the product of voltage and current)

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

Can you explain more what you mean by "different power from the left and right"? What exactly are you measuring, the potential from positive lead to ground braid? What's it giving you for each side? (You are not measuring "power" with the multimeter btw, power is the product of voltage and current)

I'll go back and re-measure, give you more details. Here are some photos. If anyone notices anything strange let me know. Also, according to Vid's guide the diode side should be away from the coil stop, is that correct?

Simply switching from one coil to the other allowed the right flipper to work... well until it blew F101 that is.

IMG_8462 (resized).jpgIMG_8462 (resized).jpg

IMG_8467 (resized).jpgIMG_8467 (resized).jpg

IMG_8464 (resized).jpgIMG_8464 (resized).jpg

#14 7 years ago

Yes - lugs go opposite coil stop that's correct, keeps vibrations at coil stop a little farther away from solder joints.

When does the fuse blow? I'm assuming if you say it works but blows fuse that it works for a while, then blows? Does it blow when you hold the flipper up for a while or just random after you hit it a few times or...?

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

Yes - lugs go opposite coil stop that's correct, keeps vibrations at coil stop a little farther away from solder joints.
When does the fuse blow? I'm assuming if you say it works but blows fuse that it works for a while, then blows? Does it blow when you hold the flipper up for a while or just random after you hit it a few times or...?

After about 3-4 pushes or if I hold up the flipper you can see it get red and then *pop*
Thanks for the help!

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from puck:

After about 3-4 pushes or if I hold up the flipper you can see it get red and then *pop*
Thanks for the help!

In that case sounds like the hold coil isn't engaging possibly, could the diode be reversed on the hold windings? I'm not familiar with t2 so I'm not sure how the Eos is setup up

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

In that case sounds like the hold coil isn't engaging possibly, could the diode be reversed on the hold windings? I'm not familiar with t2 so I'm not sure how the Eos is setup up

Good point, that would explain why I am blowing a fuse on the second flipper, but not why the other wires for the right flipper don't drive the left flipper as the fuse tested ok.... maybe I should go back to the fuse/testing.

#18 7 years ago

Your EOS switch is not connected correctly. It should connect to the Blue/Purple not Blue/Yellow. The other coil is correct.

#20 7 years ago

Replace the EOS switches and the flipperbutton switches.
Always the first thing to do !

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from melappels:

Replace the EOS switches and the flipperbutton switches.
Always the first thing to do !

I have yet to do the FB Switches, but the EOS's are brand new.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Your EOS switch is not connected correctly. It should connect to the Blue/Purple not Blue/Yellow. The other coil is correct.

Well that should hopefully solve the problem

2 months later
#23 6 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

Well that should hopefully solve the problem

Replaced the Power Driver I/O board. Correctly wired the flippers. Still nothing.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 21.95
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 9.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/terminator-2-weak-flippers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.