(Topic ID: 282518)

Terminator 2 - Strange Problems --> MPU?

By mickja1

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Roamin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

T2 switch matrix (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider eyeamred2u.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from mickja1:

Hello!
I have a T2 with a Rottendog power supply, upgraded to PinSound. Recently it has been causing me problems:
1. First, it burned out the drop target actuator coil. I replaced the coil, but it was still humming, so I cut the wire. No big deal. Can play nearly normally.
(P.S. Also tried bypassing the wire from the driver board--it showed short, no joy.) All the rectifier diodes on the Rottendog driver board were checked--all okay.
2. Occasional random firing of the ball launcher solenoids during game play.
3. Occasionally triggers slam tilt, especially when having a good game (but nothing more than nudges on the cabinet--nowhere near what it would take to trigger slam tilt). Usually the slam tilt occurs when I haven't even nudged the game at all.
4. Occasional sound triggers are incorrect (this is the latest problem).
I was wondering if the MPU board should be replaced? Or the ROMs re-programmed? Any ideas? I have limited technical knowledge, but would love a few ideas to consider.
Thanks!
Jerry

Is the MPU original? Could have Alkaline damage, corrosion on connectors. This will cause strange game behaviors if the MPU has issues.There are many threads on here about Alkaline damage on MPU's, so do a little reading and look at some pics and see if your MPU has any tell tale signs.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from mickja1:

In reply to Manny65:
1. I tried jostling the machine in switch mode--only the tilt plumb bob fired.
2. All switches (except ticket dispenser) tested repeatedly. All work, none fire two switches.
In reply to eyeamred2u:
No visible battery damage. Batteries are <1 year old.
I'm going to try replacing the ribbon cables next. I have a set on the way. My tech told me that those ribbon cables are prone to failure. The description on Marco's website says the following:
"Aging, failing ribbon cables and connectors can be an intermittent source of garbled displays, locked-on or dead solenoid coils/lamps/switches, sound problems, system resets, boot up failure, etc. Installing new ribbon cables provide reliable mechanical and electrical connections for board signals. Many cables are up over 30 years old and have been removed and re-inserted many cycles beyond their insertion design."
If that doesn't work I may replace the MPU/CPU? Any other ideas? Thanks for all the advice!

You should take some pictures of the MPU board( front and back) and post them to this thread.

#8 3 years ago

Let's start over.

What are all the voltages on your Power Driver Board?
Are all the LED lights on on the Power Driver Board?

Is the MPU Booting properly?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 21.95
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 27.95
Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 39.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider eyeamred2u.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/terminator-2-strange-problems-gt-mpu?tu=eyeamred2u and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.