Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by OldHarley
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I have a T2 that just randomly out of the blue last night started performing a slam tilt every time the right flipper is pressed.

I've checked the slam tilt switch, not an issue.

I've ran a test report, it detects nothing.

I've opened up the game and have looked over the right flipper switch and can't see anything out of the ordinary.

Not sure what else to check.

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

I've checked the slam tilt switch, not an issue.

Did you check both the coin door and cabinet slam tilts?

Does Slam tilt report closed in switch edge test?

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Did you check both the coin door and cabinet slam tilts?
Does Slam tilt report closed in switch edge test?

The coin door is the only one I checked. I guess I wasn't awate of a cabinet one. Where is that one generally located?

It does not report closed during switch test.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

The coin door is the only one I checked. I guess I wasn't awate of a cabinet one. Where is that one generally located?
It does not report closed during switch test.

The second switch is in the bottom of the cabinet towards the front of the machine. A large number of of slam tilt issues are usually a symptom of a switch matrix issues such as bad/backwards diode or miswired switch.

Since your Right flipper is causing the resets when pressed, I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's a switch matrix problem that's causing a secondary closure of the slam tilt switch.

I believe that when you are in switch test, if you press the right flipper button, you will see it activate the slam tilt as it shares the same row (ROW1) as the slam tilt (you may need to close the coin door while in test). For this to happen you also have to have two additional closed switches, one in column 1, and one in column 2 that share the same row. There are a couple of column two switches that are normally closed (sw 22 and sw 24), all you would need is for sw 12 or 14 to be closed at the same time with one of them having a bad/shorted diode and it would pass the column 2 activation signal to column 1 which would pull row 1 low due to the closed right flipper and be read as a slam tilt closure.

The bad diode/wire can be located on any of four switches in the box and all four switches will function normally when independently tested.

edited: corrected a couple places where I typed row and should have been column

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

The second switch is in the bottom of the cabinet towards the front of the machine. A large number of of slam tilt issues are usually a symptom of a switch matrix issues such as bad/backwards diode or miswired switch.
Since your Right flipper is causing the resets when pressed, I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's a switch matrix problem that's causing a secondary closure of the slam tilt switch.
I believe that when you are in switch test, if you press the right flipper button, you will see it activate the slam tilt as it shares the same row (ROW1) as the slam tilt (you may need to close the coin door while in test). For this to happen you also have to have two additional closed switches, one in row 1, and one in row 2. There are a couple of row two switches that are normally closed (sw 22 and sw 24), all you would need is for sw 12 or 14 to be closed at the same time with one of them having a bad/shorted diode and it would pass the column 2 activation signal to column 1 which would pull row 1 low due to the closed right flipper and be read as a slam tilt closure.
The bad diode/wire can be located on any of four switches in the box and all four switches will function normally when independently tested.

Thanks for the advice. I'll dive into this tonight.

#6 6 years ago

So, the crazy life of owning pinball machines. Got home from work and lifted up the PF. Searched entire cabinet and I couldn't locate another slam tilt switch on the inside of the cab. Is this possible?

Regardless I went into switch edge and switch level test. Pressed the right flipper and never got any messages about the slam tilt. So, lowered the PF, started a game, and it's back working again. So frustrating at times.

#7 6 years ago

Look for a screw that is backing out and making contact. When it grounds out against whatever it hits.....slam tilt.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.99
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 9.95
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 21.95
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 27.95
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 39.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/terminator-2-slam-tilt-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.