(Topic ID: 169299)

Terminator 2 Q91 Transistor predriver?

By DanielStrijker

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DanielStrijker.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Hello,

I'm was busy finishing my restoration when suddenly a row of lamps were flashing when they were not supposed to...
So I checked the transistors and there it was; Q91 was shorted... So I removed the tip 107 and installed a new 1. Checked and measured resistance on all 3 pins and the soldering, everything looks fine.
Now the entire row is not working, I checked the continuity in the wiring off board and this proves fine.

So the problem has to be onboard, the predriver for this 1 must be an array U18"MP9112". I suspect this could be the problem.

My question is: Is it known for these arrays to blow random or must there be a reason? Like shortage somewhere?
Could there be another problem not taken in consideration by me?

#2 7 years ago

Oh, and if anybody knows how to turn on the profanity it also would be nice since I installed all the chips, turned profanity "on" in settings.. And then, nothing... I mean, FU shoulde be a database option, right? Well it doesn't show there...

#4 7 years ago

Seriously...

Quoted from LTG:

One dirty word every 20 games, don't wait to be amazed.
LTG : )

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

Every electronic component has the potential to fail.
Use a logic probe to verify your theory.

Thank you for your reaction, but it is rare for these parts to malfunction, so I checked for shortages in the wiring offboard, nothing.
Continuity is good. (yellow-gray, Q91) I'll just continue to replace parts up the ladder... Just wanted to know if somebody had a clue, would be easy right?

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from herg:

You can also disconnect the playfield wiring and measure the DC voltage on the column output connector. You should see something in the area of 3V. If it's 0V or 18V

I've measured all of the pins from J137 they all read like 2.7 V except for the pin where yellow gray is connected, I have no current there... So the predrivers for this particular transistor is an array "ULN2308", replaced that 1, no difference then replaced the 74ls374 8bit thingy... Still no difference. All of the other columns connected to these parts still work... I really, REALLY don't know what to do anymore...

Maybe it helps if I give you more insight...

The troubles on the board were:

-J115 GI was completely burnt so I jumped all connections. Works fine now.
-Transistor from the droptarget was broken, replaced the TIP 102 and the predriver and it works
-Transistor from flashers left poppers was broken.. removed screw that was screwed in next to the fittings (touching) and fixed the shortage and replaced the TIP102 and predriver. Works fine now
-Transistor Q91 TIP107 lamp column (present problem) was flashing out of control. In the single lamp test 1 of these lamps started to burn when I tested another single lamp from a different column. Very weird. So I tested the tip 107. Result: 0.00 Ohms. Broken right? So replaced everything up to the 8bit controller. Now the lamps don't flash at all. No power coming from the tip 107 on that particular yellow-gray pin. All of the other pins read fine.

I suspect shortage beneath the droptarget that is were the most yellow grey column lamps are wired and maybe touched the droptargets frame somewhere. (because the droptarget transistor was broken too). Also, The flashers that were broken too also resided in that area.
But I checked the wiring and voltage when operating these parts and no voltage on the yellow gray wiring.

Phew... That was all the info I have.. Any clues? Doesn't matter how trivial please give me some input! I know for sure it's something stupid I'm overlooking...

Quoted from johnwartjr:

Every 20 games may be... generous I'd say every 50-75 games is more the norm
And, you have to LAND on the option in the database...

Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

You MUST have free-play enabled to have the FU A-hole to show as an option in data-base................Joey

I am very disappointed

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 12.99
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 21.95
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DanielStrijker.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/terminator-2-q91-transistor-predriver?tu=DanielStrijker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.