(Topic ID: 105644)

Terminator 2 Playfield-Attempt To Fix It?

By johnsj01

9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by johnsj01
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20141007_203215.jpeg
20141007_203223.jpeg
20141007_203432.jpeg
#1 9 years ago

Hello - I have recently picked up a T2 machine and there's mylar laid down across the playfield. Not too big of a deal but I noticed that there are some inserts that appear to be chipped, I'm guessing that was the reason for putting down the mylar, to prevent further damage. I'm wondering if it would be worth it and or relatively easy to take off and repair the inserts (and the best way to go about doing that, I'm guessing it's not just as easy as getting the mylar off and laying a set of decals on it) I have included some pics, you'll be able to tell that it doesn't really look like the colored plastic of the insert is chipped but something is.... Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated from some fellow pinballers

Thanks
20141007_203215.jpeg20141007_203215.jpeg20141007_203223.jpeg20141007_203223.jpeg20141007_203432.jpeg20141007_203432.jpeg

#2 9 years ago

Personally I'd probably leave it, however I would expect mylar on a T2 to come up fairly risk free (except near that damage) being it is diamond plated. I could be 100% wrong though.

The next question is how well you could fix the problems anyway - it looks to me like the clearcoat/diamondplate is what is chipped there which could be caused by insert cupping/movement which means you'll have some challenge in filling and/or levelling and/or re-inking the artwork to make it look half decent and last beyond a handful of games.

Long story short, it is doable but will be a lot of hours for minimal gain imo. If these are the biggest issues on the machine, I would play the game in this 99% perfect state and leave well enough alone. Just my 2 cents.

#3 9 years ago

I'll go with purpledrilmonkey. I would not put any playfield repair in the "relatively easy" category. Check out vid's ultimate playfield restoration guide if you want to get a feel for the process (it's stickied in the technical section).

Not every game has to be perfect. If the mylar is preventing additional wear, just play the game and have fun.

#4 9 years ago

^ As above. What might seem easy may end up causing more or new damage and you could constantly be on a merry-go-round of restoring.

Kind of like when I change bulbs...

#5 9 years ago

Looks to me like that's the clear coat that's chipped off. Fixable? Yes, but 100+ hours of work IMO. I would just play pinball and find other things to obsess about. You can always fix it later if you decide you want to get into that kind of thing.

I restore all mine, and my approach is buy them dirty and junky, play the living snot out of them as-is for as long as it takes to feel like I wouldn't miss it for 6 months. That usually takes 4-5 months for me, by the way. Then I restore, but I always do miss them and can never quite wait until they are back to flipping.

Best of luck

Dan

#6 9 years ago

Second the idea that this may take a while... but alternative approaches to clear coat are available.

I know there is at least one thread here where someone was using the clear UV curable acrylic "nail polish" to fill in spots like that....

This assume a couple things- that the clear chipped off - looking at the pics you posted I am not certain thats the issue (at least not for all of the regions, the first pic it certainly looks like your missing material)

Its relatively common to have the clear delaminate from the insert- This is an easy fix- you can flood it with any number of products using a syringe and a fine needle- just stick the needle into the damage area and inject some cyanoacrylate (super glue) or I *think* people have used the UV curable nail polish for this as well....

if its just the clear pulling up (and not off) then you have a very doable fix- just a few hours time and some new mylar when your done. If the clear cracked off and comes out with the mylar- you can fill it with clear coat or the acrylic and carefully sand and polish the area without having to redo the entire play field.

I would investigate- if its bothering you enough to post it, you need to at least figure out what the damage is.

Finally- just beware- yes its relatively simple to fix if the clear just delaminated- but once you start down this road you are kinda going to need to finish the job one way or the other- if your careful I doubt you end up making it worse. Worst case you end up peeling mylar and clear coat over those regions lifts (you will not peel up large sections unless something is very very very wrong). Then you fill it best you can, sand (carefully mask) and use some wet pads to bring it al back to perfect shiny. If your coating with mylar again that will hide many sins so I think your OK.

Best of luck..

#7 9 years ago

Wow, thank you all for your input. Although, yes it really does bother me.... I think I'll just have to keep playing until I can't stand it any more, do some more research (checking out the resto guide, would be a good place to start) and taking it on from there. Really thank you all for your insight and as I figured, I may just have to live with these small imperfections.... for now
Thanks again, Pinside is truly the best

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
$ 39.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 21.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.99
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Harrisburg, PA
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/terminator-2-playfield-attempt-to-fix-it and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.