• 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by thewool
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

arnold-do-it-now-mvpexchange-com.jpg
There are 107 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 9 years ago

Hello all, this is my first attempt at a pinball mod and it's a fairly ambitious one at that...

First things first this mod will require the new Pinsound board to work (http://www.pinsound.org/), without it there is no mod. This board is used to replace legacy sounds in Williams Terminator 2 with new updated sounds so is an essential prerequisite.

The concept of this mod is to replace Arnold's classic callouts with much better quality callouts. I think Arnold himself has moved on from 1991 and doing pinball voice over work so I've been searching for an alternative... Last year I heard about a guy called David Andrew Brent who is a voice actor/impressionist who does an AMAZING Arnie impression. Have a listen:

I dropped an email to his agency to ask if he would be available to create some custom sound clips in his Arnie voice. My intent being to ask him to repeat the classic T2 pinball phrases as well as a few new ones :0) This is the crunch... He's prepared to do it, but for a professional fee of $1200.

This is too much for me to bear the brunt of alone so I was wondering if there are any other T2 owners who are going to buy a Pinsound who want to club together to get this done. Imagine playing a pimped out T2 with the movie score in the background in stereo (all through the Pinsound board), HQ sound effects with authentic sounding HQ Arnold callouts:

Or another option in Pinsound, you could even keep the classic legacy music and sound effects but have the HQ callouts. Either way it will bring this game into the 21st century and I'm sure the end result will be nothing short of outstanding given the quality of his voiceover.

For those thinking this is a lot of money I totally agree. An alternative is to rip some voices from the movies which will also be good and a lot cheaper, but it's the custom phrases which will be difficult to replace.

Please leave a note in this thread, or drop me a pm if you prefer, to let me know if you would be interested in this idea so I can start a list of potential contributors. Obviously the more people that buy in the cheaper it will become for each person overall.

Callouts intended to be replaced: http://www.pinsound.org/pinballs/wpc-dmd/terminator-2/#voice

Note: the intent of this proposal is not to make me profit, simply to cover the costs of getting the voice over done.

Cheers, Kris

#2 9 years ago

That impression is amazing. I hope you manage to get this done. I do not own a T2 yet but someday I plan to.

What about the music? Any plans to redo that?

#3 9 years ago

Good luck to you Kris, this is a great idea. Hope you get some help to make it happen.

#4 9 years ago

Actually, 1200 bucks for a professional voice session is not bad, and possible to spread over a lot of interested T2 owners.

But 400 bucks for a sound board? Not a chance.

200 and I'm in.

400? No.

RM

#5 9 years ago

Cheers all for the feedback.

I have some ideas about the actual music that could be used in the Pinsound version using mainly the Brad Fidel soundtrack and some music from the DVDs that was not included in the soundtrack, and then there's the Guns N'Roses multiball music, but all that's for later...

I totally hear you Russ, the board is expensive, it's about 1/4 of what I paid for my T2. That said... I can hear/see what this mod will be like in my head and if we can pull it off I believe it will be worth it. Especially with the new movie on the way, interest in this pin will increase dramatically. But imagine the interest in a version blasting out the iconic score with these new callouts.

#6 9 years ago

I'm with you all the way - T2 would be amazing with the original theme music and better quality callouts, but the price tag is just too steep for a sub $2K pin.

200 and they would sell like gangbusters.

400 - not so much.

RM

#7 9 years ago

Fair point Russ.

Depending on if the interest in this idea was great enough I was actually considering approaching Pinsound to see if we could get some kind of group discount. It probably wouldn't be massive but better than nothing.

#8 9 years ago

I'm interested

#9 9 years ago

Color me very interested!

#10 9 years ago

Thanks so far for the interested parties

UPDATE #1

I've been in touch with PinSound and they are very supportive of the idea!! Some good news... if the project is successful, people who have backed it will receive a discount coupon for a PinSound board!

more incentives to come later...

#11 9 years ago

This is a worthy venture for sure, but TBH I'd rather change the music than the voice overs. The music in this pin is very unfitting.. and not even a speaker upgrade can save it.

#12 9 years ago

What's wrong with the original T2 sound track? It's fantastic.

Seems like a lot of money to spend for no real purpose. Not to mention that everyone and their grandmother can do a serviceable Arnold impersonation. Why would you want to replace the real thing with a phony?

#13 9 years ago

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the original music but playing to the film score will make for a very different experience.

The impression that guy does is flawless, close your eyes and it's Arnold. To have perfect quality music with the original fuzzy samples will be a mismatch, a good theatrical cut, but not the Skynet version.

If we get 20 T2 owning pinsiders in on this it's suddenly not a large fee, it's beer money for a Friday night to create a T2 pinball legacy.

#14 9 years ago

Make sure you have him do the "F you a-hole" quote too.

#15 9 years ago

Already on the list Anth, are you in?

#16 9 years ago

I'm going to sit this one out. I sure am curious to see the finished product though. Good luck with it.

#17 9 years ago

What is the total cost we need to fork out "each" to make this happen?

#18 9 years ago

Is "You Could Be Mine," "Bad to the Bone," and "Guitars, Cadillacs" going in it? That would be pretty badass...

#19 9 years ago

I like this idea, and would be willing to pay for it. The kicker is of course how much money? Good job though on trying to organize this.

#20 9 years ago

Well the board is $400 and if 12 people to go in, that would be another $100 so you are looking at $500 plus or minus...

Too rich for my blood although I like the concept of cleaner sounds and a more movie based soundtrack...

#21 9 years ago

Skit-B should hire this guy!

Having custom speech is very liberating.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Well the board is $400 and if 12 people to go in, that would be another $100 so you are looking at $500 plus or minus...

Too rich for my blood although I like the concept of cleaner sounds and a more movie based soundtrack...

Yeah, that is a bit hard. I think I will have to stay with my lower quality audio coming out of my external sound system. The one plus that I can see about the board is you can move it around and have fun with a theme from time to time. But, I know of a few EM's that I could buy for $500 that I would really enjoy more at this time. But totally awesome idea.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from dbloom:

I like this idea, and would be willing to pay for it. The kicker is of course how much money? Good job though on trying to organize this.

You need to take into account the cost of the board so for me that's about £200 GBP shipped to the UK (minus whatever the discount voucher would be).

The cost of the voiceover project then depends on how many buy in. Obviously we need to have enough people or it won't fly. For example:

10 backers = $120 per person
20 backers = $60 per person
etc.

Personally I'm happy to pay about 1/4 of the price of the Pinsound board so more than say 15 backers and I would be happy to press on. The more the merrier though... I was planning to give it a couple of weeks and then see how the ground lies before moving forward.

Honestly if this mod comes to fruition like I imagine then it will easily put £250 GBP on the price of my pin, not that I would be thinking about selling it.

#24 9 years ago

That's an amazing impression.... what's excellent about it is that he does the voice in a very conversational manner instead of just repeating Arnie's movie lines.

Good luck on the venture, and +1 to the suggestion that SKIT-B should look at hiring this guy for Predator. Like, right now

#25 9 years ago

This is cool, but I agree, I am not going to fork over $400. $200 most likely.

#26 9 years ago

Fair comments about the price of the Pinsound board but that's outside of what I can influence.

#27 9 years ago

This sounds super cool and I would be willing to help subsidize the new audio, but as most have mentioned, $400 just for the board before anything else, that's a bit steep. I'm not sure what the cost is going to be on the upcoming 2.0 releases that have been discussed by PPS, but those will include new gameplay, etc. I'm not saying I'm NOT in here, but this seems comparatively much more expensive for what you get. All this stiil doesn't acknowledge that it is taking a leap of faith that the end product comes out as good as it could be in everyone's heads.

#28 9 years ago

If the total package is $500 or so, count me in! Anything for T2.........almost.

#29 9 years ago

I personally would prefer real Arnold quotes.

Its fun that it is fake, but not for that money. Maybe arnold would do it himself. He does alot of different things, and alot just for fun.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

I personally would prefer real Arnold quotes.

Its fun that it is fake, but not for that money. Maybe arnold would do it himself. He does alot of different things, and alot just for fun.

Good point... Why not contact Arnold. If he made new content, I think you would guarantee everyone would pay whatever it takes. I think he will do it.... Authenticity is something I am willing to pay for. A fake, may look nice. But I will always know its fake. With a very professional proposal, it can be done. If he clearly understands it is going towards a "restoration" and It will not be re-sold. If all else fails, he can hold the rights and we pay him royalties for usage... I think, whatever offer he makes we can start a kickstarter if its beyond realistic to just us pinsiders. If we do this, we can remaster and "add" new content. Think of the possibilities.
arnold-do-it-now-mvpexchange-com.jpgarnold-do-it-now-mvpexchange-com.jpg

#31 9 years ago

$400 for a ColorDMD is fine, yet $100 more for vastly improved sound and voice is "too rich for my blood"? What is wrong with people? I would be in for this.

#32 9 years ago

Alternatively you could ask Rick at PPS if he's interested in joining the project, he may have the original source audio.

#33 9 years ago

Thanks for the idea. Sadly it looks like there's not enough interest for the time being... I'm going to pursue the idea myself, where the boards are out and the idea can be demonstrated people might be happier to be involved.

2 weeks later
#34 9 years ago

Do you have a Pinsound on order? They're still expected to ship this month, and I want to drop one in my GNR (that machine needs an audio upgrade like no other) but am hoping to hear some real-world reviews first.

2 weeks later
#35 9 years ago

I'm into it.

I'm working on rerecording all the music for Pinsound. Will take some time, it's a lot of work.

#36 9 years ago

There are a lot of good Arnold impersonators on youtube. I'm sure you can find someone willing to do it simply for notoriety or fun.

#37 9 years ago

I'm onto someone. I allready finished the Maintheme and some FX. This WILL BE AWESOME.

#38 9 years ago

Please add my name to the list of interested parties once this is finished.......thanks!

#39 9 years ago

Here's the finished main theme... let me know what you think

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2932654/Terminator%20Main%20Theme%201.wav

[attachment=1817359,]
#40 9 years ago
Quoted from Endprodukt:

[attachment=1817359,]

YOU ARE A BADASS!!!

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from Endprodukt:

[attachment=1817359,]

Color me interested!

#42 9 years ago

Haha, great you guys like it!

TheWool and my versions will be different. I will recreate all the original Pinballsoundtrack and he will work with the soundtrack of the movies.

I also got someone doing all the speech. I know it's not Arnold but it will be hardly distinguishable.

So far I finished 30-40% of the FX aswell. It's using tons of original samples from the movie(s), like explosions, gunshots and so on. I tried to stay close to the sounds from the pinball machine.

#43 9 years ago

Hey endprodukt. I also have someone doing the voiceovers as an alternative. I'll shoot you a pm.

#44 9 years ago

So we have two options to choose from. Awesome

You can bet that I will put your version on my Pin aswell!

#45 9 years ago

Maybe this will come out as a package deal with some new software? Or did I say that already?? Wishful thinking??

#46 9 years ago

New software? You will need the Pinsound Board to use these files in your T2!

#47 9 years ago

I am in...

#48 9 years ago

I swear to you guys... that guitarsolo in the super jackpot track is nuts. Will take quite some time to nail

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from Endprodukt:

New software? You will need the Pinsound Board to use these files in your T2!

Ya, game software. New modes, etc. there was some one who considered doing it but did another game instead.

#50 9 years ago

Ah, ok. I think in some cases it's a nice idea, like Cactus Canyon - which wasn't finished when it was released anyways. But with T2 I think the ruleset and the gameplay is perfectly fine. I love the fast-paced style of this pin.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9.95
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 27.95
$ 39.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 21.95
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 12.99
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

There are 107 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/terminator-2-pinsound-hq-arnie-callouts-proposal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.