2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0828211039 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

I got a Terminator 2: Judgment Day about a week ago and raised the playfield to change out a intermittent LED bulb that was failing. After doing so I now have lots of problems. In attract mode I have two ALMOST whole rows that want to stay on. It looks very similar to ghosting but this game did not have this issue just days prior. In test mode, If I test all lights everything works perfectly. If I test single lights almost every light will light at least 1 or more lights in the game. I have spent hours now examining the underside of the playfield for broken or loose wires , tabs touching things they shouldnt and testing a number of diodes on the lamp boards. GI is unaffected by this new problem. The game plays 100% but looks very poor now due to some sort of lamp matrix issue. It is is a rottendog driver board but this game worked perfectly up until recently. Any advice is welcome!

#2 2 years ago

Ive discovered if I wiggle the wires on the lower playfield eyes lights I can somewhat improve this problem in attract mode but individual test lamps still light up 2+ for everyone thats supposed to. I replaced the diode on the lamp socket and still had no change. Possible worse actually...

#3 2 years ago

Look at your lamp matrix. Make a list. When I test lamp X, lamps X & Y both light.
Any obvious consistent relationship between X & Y?

#4 2 years ago

not that I can tell. In attract mode switches 12,22,32,62,31 and probably some more stay on. Some are very faint, similar to ghosting. In single test lamp mode almost every light lights another light or 2 or 3. I can find no patterns and no complete rows or columns stuck on or off. I raised the playfield one time to replace a bulb and now my entire matrix is off. I wiggled some wires around and the attract lighting somewhat improved. The only thing Ive found is that 1 lamp socket is kind of loose and might need to be replaced not sure if that would cause all this or not.

#5 2 years ago

lamps 53-58 are particularly bad about being on/ghosting in attract mode.

#6 2 years ago

This is attract mode.

0828211039 (resized).jpg0828211039 (resized).jpg
#7 2 years ago
Quoted from carvindc200:

This is attract mode.

Please pardon my ignorance but what is that photo showing me? I don't know at what point during attract mode what lights should be lit. There is nothing in your photo or text to indicate what lights are malfunctioning.

IMO your best approach is be methodical with your testing and descriptions of what you find.
Example: I turned on lamp 11 in the single lamp test. Lamps 11, 31, and 41 came on.

You might check the Pinwiki, it has a long list of potential causes for lamp matrix malfunctions: https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Controlled_Lamp_Problems

Ken pinballrebel over at pinballrebel.com hosts this tech chart: http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/Tech_Charts/Williams_Terminator_2_Tech_Chart.pdf

#8 2 years ago

duplicate

#9 2 years ago

The wires in the eyes of the terminator skull ABOVE the play field had an issue causing all of row 2 to stay lit in attract mode. I unplugged the skull wires under the play field and the issue went away. I then re plugged them in and wiggled/moved them around until the issue was gone. It may happen again if a ball gets under the skull just right but now I know where to look! IT WASN'T UNDER THE PLAY FIELD, IT WAS ABOVE IT!

4 months later
#10 2 years ago

This issue returned and was not as simple to fix this time. I had to remove the skull and unplug the wires for the eyes to get it out of the play field. The wires were poorly twisted together causing poor connection. I hooked them together and soldered them to form a new solid connection. Reinstalled with wires for the eyes slightly moved better out of the way and game seems perfect now. Hopefully this is a permanent fix to this simple but annoying problem.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 21.95
$ 9.95
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 26.50
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/terminator-2-lamp-matrix-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.