Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by k9bm
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

I had to replace the plunger in the VUK under the skull and after reinstalling the assembly my drop target no longer works properly. It resets at the end of each ball most of the time, but sometimes not. After resetting, when a ball hits it the target instantly drops as it should, but there is no "lock sequence engaged" or "load the cannon" announcement as expected. Do I have a mechanical problem with the drop target mechanism or did I somehow mess up a switch on it? The VUK is working properly, after a ball lands under the skull the cannon firing sequence begins....

#2 1 year ago

Have you checked for any broken wires in that area?

If the VUK uses an opto switch, is it working? It should have a status of closed when the path is blocked, and a status of open when nothing is in the beam's path.

#3 1 year ago

The drop target uses a common microswitch with a long actuator. Inspect the drop target and switch. Is the switch opening and closing as it should when the target goes up and down? Both wires attached properly? Neither end of the diode disconnected? Does switch register in switch edges test? Manual has diagram of what it should look like.

Good chance the actuator has either came off or is out of position. Could be just a bad switch too. That target gets hammered and the switch/actuator often has issues.

#4 1 year ago

OK, using the switch edge test I determined that in fact one of the terminals on the microswitch had an intermittent connection. I just reheated it with the trusty soldering iron and the switch works reliably every time. As an added bonus, I realized that the tab on the lower end of the drop target solenoid armature was loose--this is the tab with a finger sticking out on one side to drag the drop target up when the solenoid is energized. After tightening the nut that holds it to the armature, the drop target resets reliably every time. It's just a source of utter amazement to me that after 30 years and probably thousands of games this thing still works as designed. Miracle from Chicago....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 21.95
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 27.95
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/terminator-2-drop-target-failure and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.