(Topic ID: 187024)

Terminator 2 Does it live up to the hype or is it overated?

By rtotans

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by chuckwurt
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I had Terminator 2, and I have mix feelings about it. The cannon for jackpot very cool, the super jackpot is also very cool and very unique? Even though I like to shoot with my flipper for jackpots However I felt like it had only a few shots to go for. multiball, left, right, left right Payback. Other then that, I felt like it wasn't enough to keep me coming back playing. What is everyone else's thoughts? I'm not saying it's not a good game, but is it overrated?

#2 7 years ago

Yes of course it is.

T2 is a massive game with new shit all over the place when it came out; real mind-blower. But yeah it isn't that good at all, the art is atrocious, and it's just MB all day long.
It's a fun goddamn game, and with the swearing mod it's fun to play with others, but you don't need to own it EDIT: <--casue plenty of other people do...just play it at their house.

#3 7 years ago

I enjoy playing it every once in a while, but it's a little over-priced for what it is. You can get a better, deeper game for the same price.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from rtotans:

I like to shoot with my flipper for jackpots

Where's the fun in that?! One of my proudest pinball moments is getting the super jackpot on mine while I had a ball cradled on both flippers.

But yeah, T2 is not a very good game. It'd be an okay tournament game if it wasn't also horribly buggy... Wish the ramps and right orbit had more than a single purpose

#5 7 years ago

You guys sound like a fun bunch.

#6 7 years ago

I think it depends on whether it is the only game in a collection, or one of several. I agree that it is not the most in-depth game, but sometimes I just feel like playing a game that is fast, relatively straightforward, has a fun theme, and is a little different than my other games with the gun/pistol aspect. Plus, not only am I am a Terminator fan, but it's instantly recognizable to my friends and the pin they usually gravitate too (although I understand most people are buying the pin primarily for themselves and not for their friends). So yes, is it simpler than other pins, yes, but sometimes simple (and fast) can also be fun/enjoyable (at least when you have other options as well).

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from nicknack66:

I think it depends on whether it is the only game in a collection, or one of several. I agree that it is not the most in-depth game, but sometimes I just feel like playing a game that is fast, relatively straightforward, has a fun theme, and is a little different than my other games with the gun/pistol aspect. Plus, not only am I am a Terminator fan, but it's instantly recognizable to my friends and the pin they usually gravitate too (although I understand most people are buying the pin primarily for themselves and not for their friends). So yes, is it simpler than other pins, yes, but sometimes simple (and fast) can also be fun/enjoyable (at least when you have other options as well).

I agree!
Its just a fun and fast machine. Its not deep code that makes this good. Its that you can turn it on and be able to have fast fun quick. Also rules are simple so guest that are no pinball wizard can have fun and understand the rules.
If it is the only machine you have and you play it often it might get old. But I have room for three games and I will not sell my T2 but swap the other two out.

#8 7 years ago

T2 has hype?

#9 7 years ago

Lol! I thought the same thing. I figured he accidentally typed a 2 when he meant to type a Z. But nope.

It's always been a fun, inexpensive Steve Ritchie game that I don't feel has ever ridden the hype train.

#10 7 years ago

It had become one of my least favorites in my small collection but, after some work on it, changing up the lighting, and playing a few in the wild that we're not in the greatest shape it made me appreciate mine more. So, it has wiggled its way back up into the middle of the pack. As mentioned, it's not "deep." I "beat" the game in 1 ball last night - probably the first time that's happened for me.
I think some of the mods people are going to it make it look horrible but, to each their own.
I agree with previous comments that at the prices it's floating around out you can probably get a deeper game. But, it seems to have lots of parts and knowledge available.
Everyone that comes over and plays loves it because it's a very recognizable theme and after a few 6 packs everyone starts doing Arnold impressions.

#11 7 years ago

It's kind of a one dimensional game but I believe it to be better than T3. This is a pin that I think looks better with a full swap out for LEDS. It doesn't personally hold my attention very long. If it would have had at least one rising playfield bash toy with a magnet like IM's monger, I think it could have been a classic.

#12 7 years ago

Put SFII next to it...you got yourself the two best pins ever made.......... Joey

#13 7 years ago

Is it 1990?!

I don't remember seeing a lot of "hype" about this title lately.

Good game, will get old pretty quickly for good players in a home environment. Really nails the terminator thing. Looks better without the stupid purple leds people love to bomb it with. One of the most unnecessarily modded pins out there and that's saying something.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Is it 1990?!
I don't remember seeing a lot of "hype" about this title lately.
Good game, will get old pretty quickly for good players in a home environment. Really nails the terminator thing. Looks better without the stupid purple leds people love to bomb it with. One of the most unnecessarily modded pins out there and that's saying something.

The game came out in 1991.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from Hawkeyepin:

The game came out in 1991.

Right. The hype began in 1990.

This argument demeans us both.

#16 7 years ago

Love my T2. Was my first pin "hustle". Made the deal online, drove a van with a buddy 4 hours away. Carried it up 30 stairs and my legs almost gave out. Good times. My buddy says I can never sell it since it was my first haul.

Stripped her, cleaned her, LEDs, etc.

Ive done some mods, but nothing off the wall or gaudy like some. The game play got really boring to me for a bit, but I decided that was because I didnt have enough pins or variety. Once I got some more, this game made it apparent why I loved it in the first place. The locks, jackpot, and then super jackpot are all exhilarating. I still havent put up a score over 600m. I hope to hit a billion some day.

I have nostalgia for this title as well because it was in a bowling alley by my house and when kids would have parties there I would always play a couple games. I remember it being REALLY hard as a kid.

Pin isnt going any where unless JJP or Heighway releases a rick and morty, then they are all going away to pay for it.

#17 7 years ago

Watch a young Steve Richie demonstrate how to play T2

#18 7 years ago

T2 is a fun game, I don't see any hype about it though. I love everything terminator-related so the theme works for me. The ruleset is not very deep, but I enjoy playing it every time.

#19 7 years ago

I don't know about "hype" now but T2 was VERY popular in the early 90's. It was everywhere, maybe only eclipsed by TAF. I remember playing it by the pool (that makes me cringe now) at the local Holiday Inn. The game was pretty unique at the time and the movie was huge, which helped. I am into two types of pins: pins I consider the best games of all time AND cheap games with themes I really like. I bet you can figure out which one T2 is in (hint: not the same as TZ) but it is probably the best game I own in this category (not hard when compared to SF2, and TMNT).

#20 7 years ago

T2 is fun but hard to keep in a home environment because there is nothing to do. You see everything it has to offer in a day or two. That may be fine for some people but not for me at the price it commands.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from brad808:

T2 is fun but hard to keep in a home environment because there is nothing to do. You see everything it has to offer in a day or two. That may be fine for some people but not for me at the price it commands.

Some do not need a deep game and are plenty happy with a T2. Me for example, since I have some other games with deeper rulesets to offset it. Anybody who plays EM or early SS games deals with shallow rulesets but many love them. WNBJM is very simply but it's a modern game that many love to play over and over.

Some on the other hand only want the best games with very deep rulsets. They would love a LOTR and turn their nose up at a T2.

#22 7 years ago

This game is the one that really took pinball to the next level for me in 1992.

#23 7 years ago

It gets old in small collect but it sure did flow Arnold's the man tho....big points lol
I miss mine

#24 7 years ago

BIG POINTS always makes me laugh. Thanks for 500k arnold...but thats hardly big points.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

BIG POINTS always makes me laugh. Thanks for 500k arnold...but thats hardly big points.

I just got 10 million "big points" on Aerosmith.

I think it's first time I've ever agreed it was actually Big Points!!!

#26 7 years ago

Here in Australia there is a bit of hype about T2 at the moment. It has doubled in price in the last 12 months as everyone, for some reason, wants to own one at the moment.

I have played a couple of T2s now and don't mind the simple rules but at it's current price point here in Oz, there are better games to buy for the same money.

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Fuck you asshole is my favorite award.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 39.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.99
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 21.95
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/terminator-2-does-it-live-up-to-the-hype-or-is-it-overated?hl=rjbowes3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.