• Topic is favorited by 274 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

53663951190_696642b1ae_c (resized).jpg
53663311748_14568d061c_c (resized).jpg
53662225557_f2e8f3ac6e_k (resized).jpg
Williams_1991_Terminator_2_Judgment_Day_Manual_-_Update.pdf (PDF preview)
A2_Feature_Adjustments_(Update).pdf (PDF preview)
Terminator2_L8_4.pdf (PDF preview)
53639132189_e8b428873f_k (resized).jpg
53639132179_2f5a4b2c09_k (resized).jpg
IMG_5447 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5475 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5462 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20240401_002830006 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240401_002816443 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240331_192714330 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240331_192724360 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240331_192719354 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thiagovaldez.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3923 8 years ago

Hey guys,

I've been modding my T2 for a little while now, and have created a new one... This time it's a Terminator 2 Topper mod.

I went through an extensive design phase on this one, which was an interesting process. Terminator kind of has a special quality in that the endoskeletons are metal, so it always bugged me when there were plastic toppers etc. with stickers or what have you. It always felt like it should be metal to me. So I decided to design one with a real metal skin. I opted to design it, then laser cut some parts and waterjet cut the metal.

Here are some pictures of it, including some of the design phase:

2 - SolidWorks Cad Design.png2 - SolidWorks Cad Design.png
3 - Solidworks CAD Design exploded view.png3 - Solidworks CAD Design exploded view.png

Here is the final product wired in... it wires into the lamp matrix so it talks with the exoskeleton on the playfield speaks, and the eyes light when a game starts. The text is always illuminated when the game is on:

11 - Wired Up.jpg11 - Wired Up.jpg
12 - Wired Up Iso.jpg12 - Wired Up Iso.jpg

For those interested, here is the metal being waterjet cut:

And here's a very short video of it in action:

Lemme know what you think! I'm pretty proud of it.

I'm thinking about offering to build/sell these to anyone on pinside who might be interested. If you're interested, lemme know here or PM me... trying to figure out of it's worth the work (if enough people are interested).

Thanks!

#3925 8 years ago
Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

I want to be 1st on the list please and Thank you...!!!............Joey

Awesome Joey thanks!! I'm trying to get a grip on how many people are interested then I'll lock down the quantity and order the materials I need in whatever bulk amount I can per the number of orders... then I'll contact each person who expressed interest with the price I'm shooting for! Thanks for helping me get excited about this! Hoping I hear from more people (you're the third!)

#3929 8 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Wow, that is one awesome topper! Put me on the list for one, depending one what the price comes out to be.

Great thanks,

Right now there has been enough interest that I think i'll be able to do $185 + shipping. I basically need to cover costs for materials, waterjet, lasering, and then my assembly, soldering, and so on.

I don't know the cost to ship yet... I have to investigate that.

#3932 8 years ago

I guess the question becomes whether to forego the front piece altogether or just eliminate/replace the text.

I actually did a design that had more detail in the bust, but removed the detail when I realized it would be obscured by the lettering.

Here is the current and previous design side-by-side:

sidebyside.pngsidebyside.png

But I didn't want to waste waterjet time on something that wouldn't be seen.

What would you recommend? Changing the text to something else? eliminating it? Removing that whole section? I'm open to ideas.

#3934 8 years ago
Quoted from tezting:

I like the text in red, but I can see that it is a little silly that there is 2 x Terminator in red just above each other.
I can't decide if it is best with more detail or something else that Terminator in text?

Well, the better structural design is definitely with the front part whether or not it has text on it... that's the conundrum.

It could be a lot smaller though and made to serve a purely structural purpose and maybe to keep the red up-lighting.

The cost savings in production only really happen for me though if everyone is getting the same design. I can definitely do one offs. I could even do one that says "terminator 3" if somebody had a T3 machine... but it costs a bit more to do one offs.

Also, here is a bit more of a close up when I had it on a countertop... no lighting hooked up, I was just doing some dry fitting:

dryfit.jpgdryfit.jpg

By the way, unlikely as it is, if somebody wanted this to put up on a bookshelf or something because they like Terminator so much, it's a simple matter to convert it to run off of batteries and add a switch... but yeah I know i'm reaching on that one

#3937 8 years ago

The eyes/mouth run off of 6v and the red text lighting is on 12v. I can put a simple voltage divider and wire a wall adapter to it for cost if that helps. If you don't want the eyes/mouth wired to the lamp matrix on the pinball machine obviously they will not function according to game play... right now they sync with the endoskeleton on the lower playfield. Instead they will be always on etc.

#3938 8 years ago

Heya Joey, if it helps your pin mod paranoia I can wire it up to a micro controller for you instead so it still has a sequence of blinking lights etc. rather than always on/off through mains power. It would obviously cost more since would require a micro controller, transistors, a protoboard to wire everything onto, and maybe an enclosure & switch... but it would make it completely independent. PM me if you decide this is the way you'd prefer to go and I'll try and get a better handle on the bill of materials.

#3942 8 years ago

Hi everyone, I've posted an official "marketplace" post covering how to get on board with this! For those who expressed interest, I'm not sure if you'll see this post so I'll contact you in PM as well.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/ad/27820

Oh, here are some new shots of the topper as well... the old ones were lousy cell phone pics.

11 - Wired Up.JPG11 - Wired Up.JPG

Stand Alone 1.jpgStand Alone 1.jpg

Stand Alone 2.jpgStand Alone 2.jpg

Stand Alone 3.jpgStand Alone 3.jpg

Thanks!!!

#3944 8 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Maybe you could have 2 versions. The one that says Terminator 2...for wall art and one that says I'll Be back or something for people that don't want the title repeated twice...

Well I like the idea, and it's definitely an option but right now likely only for people who want to pay extra. I'm doing a batch of all the same design first to bring the cost down for anyone that wants to get one now.

It is fun though to try different stuff, and I'm a bit of a maker/experimenter so enjoy trying to accommodate whatever people are interested in.

#3946 8 years ago

The text is easier to customize than the rest. If there is a one-off text need, or if there is a group interested for "T3" type application, that can be accommodated

Or, it can just say "Terminator"

But so far the interest seems to be for "Terminator 2" so that's what makes the most sense for me to pursue for a group deal like this.

#3947 8 years ago

Okay, by separating the batches and splitting of the text from the bust I've got a way to do custom text for minimal extra cost to me, which I guess I can eat.

here is an example of what it would look like with "TERMINATOR 3" on the sign, but it could easily be "GAME ROOM", or whatever else would fit in that space (I assume you would want the terminator font)....

T3 - SolidWorks Cad Design.pngT3 - SolidWorks Cad Design.png

1 month later
#4010 8 years ago

Hey dsmoke, Archytas did a whole video break down here:

I plan on doing one final batch for those interested.. I will post soon about it. It will be $199 + shipping and come with everything you need to hook it up to your T2

#4013 8 years ago

If 3+ people can agree on a text I can do it as a custom option.

#4017 8 years ago

For anyone who is interested, I'm doing one final batch of Toppers before I retire this for good. I am including a price for custom text on a one-off basis as well.

Here are the details:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/last-chance-metal-terminator-2-topper-or-t3

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 39.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 9.95
$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.99
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 21.95
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thiagovaldez.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/terminator-2-clubmembers-only?tu=thiagovaldez and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.